News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Changing a banner

Started by mammahutch, June 16, 2012, 04:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mammahutch

I currently am using the Ecology theme. I think its super cute and I really don't want to use another theme. But, I cannot for the life of me change the banner on the top. It says "Ecology theme by crimeS". Please tell me I am able to change that.

kat

Simply replace the file Themes/Ecology_SMF2/images/smflogo.png with your own. :)

mammahutch

Bare with me. lol

Where is that code? And, what do I replace it with? A link from photo bucket?

mammahutch

There is no link like that. The only options I have are as follows:

Themes name
Themes URL
Themes Imagines URL
Themes directory

Is it possible that I cannot change it with this lay out?

MovedGoalPosts

Upload your new banner image to your website using your website control panel's file manager, or if you have that type of access ftp.  If you replace the existing smflogo.png file with your banner file it might well replace the logo you see on your site.

I don't know the specific theme and so the logo file might be called something different.   Right click on the website log image and it should tell you the properties include full file path and name of the image file which you can replace.

If your replacement image has a different pixel size to the replaced logo file you could get some weirdness with your forum layout.

mammahutch

how do i replace a file in ftp. i found the authors logo file and deleted it. The old logo disappeared
on my forum, but how do I make my logo appear on my forum? Please help :)

kat

Quote from: K@ on June 16, 2012, 04:38:50 PM
Simply replace the file Themes/Ecology_SMF2/images/smflogo.png with your own. :)

I installed the theme on my test site, which is why I know which file it is.

Just make a banner, save it as smlogo.png and upload it.

MovedGoalPosts

Quote from: mammahutch on June 16, 2012, 09:34:07 PM
how do i replace a file in ftp.

If you are asking such questions you probably installed SMF from a package in your website hosting control panel, as you won't have used ftp to upload SMF files you downloaded here?  If so there are probably functions in the webhosting panel that will allow you to use a file manager to upload a file from your computer (i.e. your banner named as smflogo.png, so your banner image will need to have been created in a graphics software and saved in png format) to the website.

ftp = file transfer protocol.  It allows you to use software on your own computer to transfer one of many files.  One of the more popular ftp programs is filezilla.  To use it your webhost will need to have given you (usually when you register your hosting) your ftp connection details.  Alternatively with your access to the control panel you may be able to set up your own access.

Better webhosts will have help guides on their hosting solutions that shows you how you can use ftp or how you can upload and replace files.

kat

Just a note, here, if you decide to use Filezilla.

To avoid problems, make sure that "Transfer type" is set to "binary", NOT "auto", which is the default setting.

mammahutch

I did everything you guys are saying to do but it still doesn't show on my site. Im pulling my hair out lol

kat

Did you read my note about Filezilla?

The file IS a png file, yes?

It IS named "smlogo.png", yes? (On the internet case IS sensitive. So, "SmLogo.png" won't work)

You ARE uploading it to Themes/Ecology_SMF2/images/smflogo.png. yes?

You ARE refreshing your browser, yes?

Chalky

Make sure that your banner is no bigger than the one that was there already.

mammahutch

Quote from: K@ on June 17, 2012, 05:13:58 PM
Did you read my note about Filezilla?

The file IS a png file, yes?

It IS named "smlogo.png", yes? (On the internet case IS sensitive. So, "SmLogo.png" won't work)

You ARE uploading it to Themes/Ecology_SMF2/images/smflogo.png. yes?

You ARE refreshing your browser, yes?

Yes im doing all of what you said to do. and its no bigger than the owners banner, i just used his and modified it. i highlight the file from my comp then i hit upload, it says files uploaded, but when i check my site its still not there.

kat

You're done a hard refresh of the browser?

Emptied it's cache?

IchBin™

Quote from: K@ on June 17, 2012, 07:49:22 AM
Just a note, here, if you decide to use Filezilla.

To avoid problems, make sure that "Transfer type" is set to "binary", NOT "auto", which is the default setting.

Not to interrupt here but I have never, ever had to do such a thing with filezilla. Auto has worked 100% of the time for me unless the file doesn't have a file extension.

To clarify the setting though, binary is for images and ascii is for text. Filezilla on a setting of auto should have no problems uploading an image if it has a proper extension.

You can check to see if your image is working by hitting it directly in your browser after you have uploaded it. For example:

http://www.yourforumurl.com/Themes/Ecology_SMF2/images/smflogo.png

If you do not see it, your image is not in the right place, or corrupted, or simply does not have the right name.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

kat

Quote from: IchBin™ on June 18, 2012, 11:41:36 PM
Not to interrupt here but I have never, ever had to do such a thing with filezilla. Auto has worked 100% of the time for me unless the file doesn't have a file extension.

I sure have and, if you do a search, so have many others.

IchBin™

All the other times I've seen here were for the times I mentioned. Like with the attachments when there isn't an extension. If there's an extension there shouldn't be a problem. I'd be interested in testing any file you have had a problem with that has had a file extension, to try to reproduce the problem.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: