Unable to install packages?

Started by Dean313, June 21, 2012, 05:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean313

I try to install packages onto my forum, and they 'successfully install', but then when I get redirected to the miscellaneous page in the ACP, it says "There are no modifications installed that have added any settings to this area yet." I've tried to install about 3 mods, one was compatible, but the other two were not.

The first time it didn't work was when I installed SMF with Softaculous, but then I deleted everything and installed it again, but the same issue persists. I created a folder called 'temp' and chmodded it to 777, since it was saying that one or more files needed to be writable in the Packages folder.

Can someone help? :)

Colin

Try chomdding it to 755. Some hosts disallow the use of 777.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Dean313

Quote from: Colin on June 21, 2012, 05:21:05 PM
Try chomdding it to 755. Some hosts disallow the use of 777.

Alright, but now I try to uninstall the package to re install it, and I get this message again.. "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Colin

Did it allow you to install a package though?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Dean313

Colin

What is the Packages directory currently chomdded to?

Colin

Dean313

Colin

Any chance you can PM me a temp admin account so I can take a look and see what is going on?

Colin

kat

Have you got a directory, inside "Packages", named "temp"?

If not, try creating one and make sure it's read/write-enabled. :)

Colin

Quote from: Dean313 on June 21, 2012, 05:15:19 PM
I created a folder called 'temp' and chmodded it to 777, since it was saying that one or more files needed to be writable in the Packages folder.

Colin

kat

I bloody looked for that, too! :)

* K@ goes to get some new spex.

Colin

Colin

kat

I blame those pesky penguins. They're always hiding things, from me. ;)

Dean313

Quote from: Colin on June 22, 2012, 03:52:28 AM
Any chance you can PM me a temp admin account so I can take a look and see what is going on?

Alright, I'll PM you.

Colin

Colin

Colin

Sorry, I will need FTP as well. Forgot to mention that.

Colin

Colin

To update everyone on what I have found -- I am thinking this is a CHOWN issue. The OP is going to check with his host and report back.

Colin

Dean313

Quote from: Colin on June 22, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
To update everyone on what I have found -- I am thinking this is a CHOWN issue. The OP is going to check with his host and report back.

I asked him and I believe he said yes to your question. (Are all the files in the SMF folder are actually owned by you at the server level?) Sooo..

He went and installed the package in there himself, but he wants me to pay $1 for each additional package if I want him to install them.. which I'm not going to do, because that's retarded.

kat

I'm not entirely sure I understand you, Dean.

Can you elaborate, please?

Dean313

Quote from: K@ on June 26, 2012, 06:15:39 AM
I'm not entirely sure I understand you, Dean.

Can you elaborate, please?

Well I barely understood the question he told me to ask him, but I just copied and pasted what he wanted me to ask him, and through Skype he said some nonsense and "yes". (My host)

He said that there was probably the issue because there was more than one MySQL db's for SMF, but that's obviously not what was wrong, since I can't install packages still.

I gave him (my host) access to my forum and gave him a package to see if he could install it, and it worked for him.. So I asked him what he did, and he just said he installed it normally, and that if I want him to install any more packages (since it won't let me or any of my friends install any packages), I'd have to pay him $1.00 for each package I want him to install.

I'm pretty sure he's just fishing for money, but I don't know what to do. :| Sorry if you still don't understand, but that's the best description I can provide.

Advertisement: