Advertisement:

Author Topic: How this works  (Read 102924 times)

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • MissAllSunday on GitHub
    • SMF mods
How this works
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
[WIP] Works In Progress
Customizers are encouraged to post their [WIP]s in a new topic in this board. Please follow these rules when creating a topic for a [WIP].

• Please use this format for the Subject of the topic [MOD][WIP]Customization Name. If it's a theme use [THEME], not [MOD]
  • Attach your WIP in this topic or a link to the Repo.

[Pending] Modifications Pending Review
Community Customizer are welcomed to create a topic for any [PENDING] customization in the customization que. Please follow these rules when creating a topic for a [PENDING] customization.

• Please use this format for the Subject of the topic [MOD][PENDING]Customization Name. If it's a theme use [THEME], not [MOD]
  • Provide a link to the customization on the customization site so any other Community Customizer can download the customization.
  • You MUST provide an initial review of the customization to start a [PENDING] topic.
Any work will be subject to a community review by members of the Community Customizer group and the Customization Team Members.

Those users on the Community Customizer group and Customization Team Members would be able to see/download the attachments and any customizations in the queue. Community Customizers are encouraged to use this guide while reviewing any customization.

After the customisation has been reviewed and found to comply with the procedures and coding guidelines, the topic will be marked as solved using the forum's marked as solved feature, then a Customization Team Member will approve the customisation on the mod site.

For a customisation to be considered for approval, at least 1 Customization Team Member should be taking part of the review.

For regular users, every customization submitted here is considered as to not yet be ready and should not be used on a live site.

[WIP] or [PENDING] deemed as inactive will be locked and a green tick will be placed beside them.

Parameters to join the Community Customizer
  • Fluent in PHP, JavaScript, CSS and HTML. This may vary, you don't have to be an expert in all fields.
  • Active within the community, via support, bug reports, mods, themes, documentation or any other source.

Purges on the Community Customizer group will be done bi-weekly taking activity as the main parameter, that is, if a member hasn't been active in any topic review in a considerable amount of time, this user will be removed from the group.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:42:24 AM by nend »
Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.

Offline Anthony`

• Sophist Member
  • Formerly Project Evolution
    • AnthonyCalandra on GitHub
Re: How this works
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
This is quite interesting, a nice way to get community members involved.

Offline Bigguy

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Be nice, or else....
    • smfbigguy on GitHub
    • SMF Helper
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
Very nice idea. :)
Tell us....Whats Ur Beef

The Craw

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
I like the idea of getting community members more involved. Also, having the mod refining process out in the open will help others to not make the same mistakes.

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
Im working on an official anouncement, im on my phone now so is hard to give more detals, hopefully we can stsrt with this very soon,thank you all for your interest :)
Look at them. They're just asking for it. Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out.

Offline Masterd

• SMF Hero
  • Sapienti satis.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
Interesting idea. I suppose this is the first step to the revolution of team in the way that was set when SMF became "open"?
My Mods

Sugested that too. Hey ho. I'd link you to the original discussion but it's not visible to most people (seekrit team board stuff that is more dangerous than wikileaks).

Don't PM me for support! Use the appropriate support board!

Offline emanuele

• SMF Super Hero
  • THERE'S JUST ME
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:23:09 AM »
I suppose this is the first step to the revolution of team in the way that was set when SMF became "open"?
The very first was the wiki! :P (but mods are more popular than documentation :P) ...well, thinking about it probably the very very first was translations...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
This idea predates the wiki, predates the January 2010 crisis, heck even predates my joining the team originally.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline Colin

• Lead Developer
  • SMF Hero
  • SMF Developer
    • colinschoen on GitHub
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Very interesting idea!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
OK guys, the announcement: Community Customization Reviewing program pretty much makes this an official thing, there is still some glitches like setting up the mark as solved feature on this board but that isn't something that will prevent us from starting :)

Offline [SiNaN]

• SMF Super Hero
  • Young and Foolish
    • SimplePortal
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Mod authors would be encourage to post their WIPs or completed mods as an attach in a new topic on this board, optionally to join the request-able group. Please keep 1 topic per mod.

Please specify in your topic subject as a prefix if this is a [WIP] or a [MOD], this is important since if you consider your mod as completed then it will be subjected to procedures towards approval, if it's marked as a WIP, then it will be consider as a work in progress and the mod will not be counted towards approval until the mod author changes the topic status to [MOD].

Does that mean that authors will post their mods here manually? If that's the case, I can see this board turning into a mess before long.

The original plan was making Mod/Theme Site post the topics here automatically and allow people in the Community Customizer group to see and review the mods through the Mod/Theme Site. If I remember correctly, we even had this code ready in SVN.

Although being flexible sounds cool, I think going a bit strict (I mean having more clear guidelines and rules) might be more productive and effective. In case you haven't, I would highly suggest digging the few old topics discussing this idea.

This idea predates the wiki, predates the January 2010 crisis, heck even predates my joining the team originally.

Indeed. It's a pity that people blocked this thing going live for the sake of objecting at the time. It's clear how well it's received by the community even with a sloppy presentation.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
You call it sloppy, I call it non-square, I prefer to have this board as a mess than keeping every single aspect of the whole process behind closed doors

I did not follow the original plan because it didn't promote openness. It never crossed my mind to use that old system anymore.

I did read all the topics about this, the ideas over there were so protective and closed that I just didn't bother with follow them simply because they weren't what I have in mind from the very beginning.

I did not touch the current modsite because I prefer to put all the efforts on the new one rather than keep patching the current. Yes I did have a local copy and pretty much did all the changes, but then again, this is intended as an alternative from the old system rather than a patch.

Please do suggest what you have in mind for more strict guidelines and rules, I'm all ears ;)

With that said, this isn't a panacea nor is intended to completely replace the old system overnight. Mod authors will be encourage to use this but the old system is still fully operational for those who may want to use it.

This was designed to be as unobtrusive as possible and with the community in mind, the lose on the rules obey to a more relaxed environment where mod authors can freely post what they want without following "cumbersome paperwork", is just as easy as to public a new topic just like they already do in the SMF Coding Discussion board.

Edit.

Oh, I forgot, this has a double purpose, it will also serve as a testing zone, I do have the plan to fully and properly integrate this idea on the new modsite, this been active and live will allow us to see how we can integrate this in a better way.

Offline [SiNaN]

• SMF Super Hero
  • Young and Foolish
    • SimplePortal
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
You call it sloppy, I call it non-square, I prefer to have this board as a mess than keeping every single aspect of the whole process behind closed doors

Pardon my bluntness on that. Still, I think opening that closed door (Mod/Theme Site itself) partially to community would yield to better results than a mess. We can already do what this board aims to do using SMF Coding Discussion board. The door is still closed. This just feels like renaming the hallway.

I did not follow the original plan because it didn't promote openness. It never crossed my mind to use that old system anymore.

I did read all the topics about this, the ideas over there were so protective and closed that I just didn't bother with follow them simply because they weren't what I have in mind from the very beginning.

It's a pity then. I mean trashing the matured ideas that has been discussed and developed for -literally- years. I'm not sure if one would call it luck or misfortune but I see that Lead Customizer doesn't get as much opposition these days.

I did not touch the current modsite because I prefer to put all the efforts on the new one rather than keep patching the current. Yes I did have a local copy and pretty much did all the changes, but then again, this is intended as an alternative from the old system rather than a patch.

Sorry to hear that, as the Mod/Theme Site you refuse to touch will be there actively used for quite a long time. Until you have something ready to replace it, that's still your Mod/Theme Site.

Please do suggest what you have in mind for more strict guidelines and rules, I'm all ears ;)

With that said, this isn't a panacea nor is intended to completely replace the old system overnight. Mod authors will be encourage to use this but the old system is still fully operational for those who may want to use it.

This was designed to be as unobtrusive as possible and with the community in mind, the lose on the rules obey to a more relaxed environment where mod authors can freely post what they want without following "cumbersome paperwork", is just as easy as to public a new topic just like they already do in the SMF Coding Discussion board.

Edit.

Oh, I forgot, this has a double purpose, it will also serve as a testing zone, I do have the plan to fully and properly integrate this idea on the new modsite, this been active and live will allow us to see how we can integrate this in a better way.

I think the problem is there. Just saying "post your mods here and comment on each others'" is hardly going to be productive. It's no different than moving the relevant topics from SMF Coding Discussion board to here. Although improving the idea as it goes sounds good, I would have expected it to be more planned and integrated to the Mod/Theme Site with necessary tools (and lack of those was what I called "sloppy") before advertised as a revolutionary step at opening Mod Site to community.

Offline Masterd

• SMF Hero
  • Sapienti satis.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
I think the problem is there. Just saying "post your mods here and comment on each others'" is hardly going to be productive. It's no different than moving the relevant topics from SMF Coding Discussion board to here. Although improving the idea as it goes sounds good, I would have expected it to be more planned and integrated to the Mod/Theme Site with necessary tools (and lack of those was what I called "sloppy") before advertised as a revolutionary step at opening Mod Site to community.

Why do you think about it that eay? As long as someone will periodically clean this board off spam it can work out pretty well.
My Mods

Sugested that too. Hey ho. I'd link you to the original discussion but it's not visible to most people (seekrit team board stuff that is more dangerous than wikileaks).

Offline [SiNaN]

• SMF Super Hero
  • Young and Foolish
    • SimplePortal
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:18:59 PM »
Yeah, if you can find someone to do that job when you can easily prevent that all together by just disallowing posting of new topics here and making Mod/Theme Site automatically post the mods/themes here. You can even consider handling the review process through a structured method integrated into Mod/Theme Site to make it more organized and effective.

Offline Suki

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • Kaizoku Jotei
    • SMF mods
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
I'm sorry, I cannot see the word revolutionary on any of my own post here ;)  Open the process to the community is far from revolutionary, it is something that should have been done ages ago.

Opening the door partially shows fear to lose the control. We have nothing to fear anymore, we are an open source organization, that mentality doesn't apply here anymore.

Again, this isn't a replacement, is an alternative, as an alternative, I won't be using the old system or parts of it nor I'm going to patch it. The whole approve/reject system is still going to be used of course, that's pretty much the only thing I planned to keep using.

I deliberately did not integrated this with the current modsite, didn't have to. The current modsite is still there, untouched, serving people as always, those who want to use it can do so, those who want to use this can do so as well.

If anything I'm ditching from the "mature ideas" is the closed mind mentality (all other ideas are tracked and will be included). Not everything has to be so tightly controlled.

Yeah, if you can find someone to do that job when you can easily prevent that all together by just disallowing posting of new topics here and making Mod/Theme Site automatically post the mods/themes here. You can even consider handling the review process through a structured method integrated into Mod/Theme Site to make it more organized and effective.

Please read:

The board has been made public to encourage the community to participate. Occasionally, this means we will get some off-topic posts from community members requesting support, new features, release dates, and other stuff like that. But I decided it was important to open the process as much as possible. We can deal with a few off-topic posts.

And all those things that you mention (an structured method, fully integration, github integration, translations, licenses, theme demos, rss, Twitter Bootstrap, API, the mature ideas, etc, etc) are planned for the new site.

And that is all I have to say, you haven't said anything that hasn't been told/tracked already, if you have new ideas please show us :)

Offline SleePy

• Site Team Lead
  • SMF Master
  • Thats his happy face.
    • jdarwood007 on GitHub
    • @jdarwood on Twitter
    • SleePy Code - My personal site
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »
It started with me while I lead the customize team, who stole it from the Support team that has had so much success with their helper program :P (so it I believe started with Huw/H).  Allas too much stuff to do and not enough time for me to code the full support for it into the customize site.
The main idea being that our community wants to help and we just need to give them the resources to do that.  It lets works be peer reviewed at a much faster rate than our customize team can work at, which in turn can offer faster approvals and better mods.  Additionally it will help free up customizers to get more time customizing.  With the advent of Git(hub) becoming our primary development method, I hope to see more mods and themes show up there and really get community works going.
Jeremy D — Site Team / SMF Developer
Support the SMF Support team!
Profiles:
GitHub

Offline Masterd

• SMF Hero
  • Sapienti satis.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
Every mod is different, that's what is great about them. If you cannot find something you like, you are not looking hard enough.

Mods can be single player, multiplayer, first person shooters, real time strategies, comical, fun, realistic or serioú.

I definitely haven't been confused like this in ages. ???
My Mods

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • Arantor on GitHub
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
It was a spam post.
To assume is to hope that those who came before had the presence of mind and capacity to implement the dreams of those who would come after.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. It seems you have chosen which, and now I must do the same.

Offline RabidShepherd

• Semi-Newbie
    • Forum Powered Website Mod sample site
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
I'd like to join the party and submit a WIP, but it appears I can't start a new topic in here. What's up with that?

I also noticed in your intro that only members of certain groups will be able to download the attachments. I was able to get yours no problem, I don't think I'm a member of any of those groups.

A few things to iron out huh?  ;)