Conversion timeout from vBulletin 3

Started by Cb129, September 03, 2005, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cb129

Hey there!
was told about your software by an old friend of mine, suggested it since a customer is moving away from vbulletin after ALOT of server load issues. firstly, the server software versions follow.

FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (newest world/kernel)
Apache 1.3.29 (from source)
MySQL 4 protocol version 10
PHP 4.3.10
SMF Version 1.0
vBulletin Version 3.0.5

currently, vBulletin does not work! it stopped working yesterday in the AM and i was working on repairing the server ALL DAY, i'm not sure why it doesn't work, the best i got was a canned answer when posting on vBulletins support forums. the database may have some inconsistencies.

i installed SMF, it was up and running fine (hxxp:www.d12world.com/board2/ [nonactive]) i downloaded your vulletin3_to_smf.php file and browsed to it, i typed in required information and hit continue.

it started converting the db's, refreshing the page, then it seems to after ~ 5 resfresh's. when i select from the smf_members table it is populated with data from the vBulletin user table.

NOTE: the MySQL databases for vBulletin are EXTREMELY LARGE ~4GB and load has almost always been an issue on this machine.

i would like to see the database converted to SMF, and archive threads before 2004, but as of now my hands are tied and this machines forum is offline (not good). please let me know if theres an alternate way i may execute the php conversion script (command line?) and if so, which arguments i need to provide it. i'm fairly sure that the web session is timing out, because even clicking continue after the members databse is done leaves you at the same page "converting members... incomplete".

please let me know asap as these customers arn't happy, i will be working on this the rest of the day.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Cb129 on September 03, 2005, 04:08:47 PM
Apache 1.3.29 (from source)
PHP 4.3.10

You may wish to update these two.  While they shouldn't have any effect on this issue at all, and SMF should work fine regardless, those are both old (potentially insecure) versions.

Quotecurrently, vBulletin does not work! it stopped working yesterday in the AM and i was working on repairing the server ALL DAY, i'm not sure why it doesn't work, the best i got was a canned answer when posting on vBulletins support forums. the database may have some inconsistencies.

Could be one or many of the tables crashed.  Have you tried REPAIRing them?  The conversion won't work if they are crashed, I should note (because it needs to read from them.)

Quoteit started converting the db's, refreshing the page, then it seems to after ~ 5 resfresh's. when i select from the smf_members table it is populated with data from the vBulletin user table.

NOTE: the MySQL databases for vBulletin are EXTREMELY LARGE ~4GB and load has almost always been an issue on this machine.

Hmm.... I can give you a version that converts less data at a time, which might be helpful.  How big is the vBulletin forum in terms of posts and members?

There's no command line converter for 1.0, unfortunately, although work has been done for such a converter for 1.1.  Attached is a converter which will take baby steps on your server.  Please tell me if it's any better.

-[Unknown]

Cb129

i know they are old, this server had been up 325 days before this started. i have no idea what the problem is. the vbulletin board is not working and i have no idea why, some bbcodeparse error which i debugged for just over 20 hours before giving up. the new script does the same thing, starts, and then seems to stop reloading after the start timer gets > 48000, a couple minutes after this mysql load will die out (as if its finished) and the members table will be populated. but even clicking "Continue" reloads the same page saying " Converting members... incomplete.". i wonder if the script stopping reloading itself is normal? the page seems to operate fine, it will reload itself a good 10-15 times before it stops.

please let me know any ideas you have, or when i can start debugging it. in the meantime i'll update apache and php.

thanks in advance. if you require any furthur information please let me know, or if you have a faster form of communication you use. eg. irc/google talk/aim. maybe we can converse via an alternate method. let me know.

- Charles Beckham
Absoluteshells.com

Advertisement: