News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Instant Post Redirect

Started by Giorgios, July 10, 2012, 12:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giorgios

Not sure if this is standard, but make it to where instead after posting or creating a new topic it goes to the forum listing, it goes back to the topic.

Arantor

That's been built in for years. I never understand why people want this feature however, it's always made more sense to take me back to the topic listing (I just saw the post I made, why do I need to see it again?)

For just yourself, you can configure it from Profile > Look and Layout Preferences > Return to topic after posting

For everyone else you can configure it from Admin > Configuration > Themes and Layout > Member Options.

Kindred

LOL Arantor... there was a huge debate in the dev board about this where a bunch of the devs and others insisted that "return to post" should be the default setting...

I argued exactly the same point and they said something like "well, I want to review what I just posted..."

Never made any sense at all to me.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I made it the default in Wedge for that exact reason, even though I still personally don't understand the fascination with seeing what you just posted.

If you need to review it, that's what the preview button is for.

Kindred

lol... in this case, we are exactly in agreement and use the same arguments - which the other side apparently thinks is just as silly as we think that they are....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

Ministry of Silly Walks, anyone?

Actually, the whole argument would be moot if we had a good WYSIWYG editor, that presented the post exactly as it will appear to readers, can be toggled on and off, and (if off) can be used as the Preview. You would see exactly the final form of your post before sending it off (enable Submit only when in WYSIWYG mode), and there would be no issue about whether or not to go back to the post just made or to the topic listing.

Another day living in the woods... I just had to shoo away another mama black bear and her two cubs (cute little buggers!) trying to tear open my barbeque.

Arantor

No, even then people would still want to be taken to the topic to see it in place.

Kindred

yup... Arantor is correct...   their argument, as silly as it sounds, really has nothing to do with "seeing how it looks" in terms of preview, but - for some reason, is "seeing how it looks in the message thread" (which makes no sense at all to me)

and then there are those of us who think that wysiwyg is silly too.... :P Never use the darned thing myself... on SMF or any other site. LOL!
Слaва
Украинi

青山 素子

I like going back to the post I just made to do an extra read of my post, but I can see the other side. These kinds of opinions are why there's an option to toggle the behavior.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Arantor

It would be easier if the option were more clear as to how to use it though ;)

青山 素子

Quote from: Arantor on July 11, 2012, 12:01:57 AM
It would be easier if the option were more clear as to how to use it though ;)

Agreed.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

MrPhil

Quote from: Arantor on July 10, 2012, 11:17:38 AM
No, even then people would still want to be taken to the topic to see it in place.

Mmmm. OK, why would people want to "see it in place"? If that's happening, that hints that something is wrong in the layout of posting pages (not Human Friendly). You'll notice that once you're out of Quick Reply that a lot of the information in the other posts disappear (avatars, attachments, etc.). Would people really need to see their post "finished" in that environment? Or are they just narcissists? (in which case, nothing we can do will help that behavior)

I don't use WYSIWYG myself, nor do I more than rarely cut and paste from elsewhere. But, what if the full editor were available at the bottom (or top, if listing newest at top)? The full formatted page would be available. If users selected WYSIWYG, you could even have their avatar, etc. in place, if they really wanted to see what it looks like "in place". I'm not sure that's really necessary. Personally, I don't even think the option should be offered -- it should go back to the topic listing and that's that. If members can't be bothered to Preview their post (useful for catching accidental smileys!), why should others suffer? But we could make it a lot easier by having a true WYSIWYG editor that doubles as a Previewer (eliminating a separate Preview mechanism).

Note: I would either put the reply/new post area only on the last page, or give a pop-up warning if you are replying/posting before having read all the posts. This has happened to me, where I end up duplicating an unread answer on the next page because I didn't realize that there were more posts on another page.

Arantor

A lot of it is down to 'that's how everything else works' and the expectation that SMF should do the same.

movierchives

Quote from: Arantor on July 10, 2012, 12:18:16 AM
That's been built in for years. I never understand why people want this feature however, it's always made more sense to take me back to the topic listing (I just saw the post I made, why do I need to see it again?)
If its a lively topic you want to come back to it, I think SMF is the only one by default that doesn't

Arantor

QuoteIf its a lively topic you want to come back to it

Um, why? If it's a lively topic, the last thing in it is your own post, why do you need to go back to that exactly? You know what you just wrote...

I personally don't really give two hoots what everyone else does. I just want to understand why this is so important for people, when the only convincing answer appears to be 'because everyone else does it' rather than any actually convincing or meaningful answer on its own merit.

青山 素子

Quote from: Arantor on July 12, 2012, 06:54:47 PM
I personally don't really give two hoots what everyone else does. I just want to understand why this is so important for people, when the only convincing answer appears to be 'because everyone else does it' rather than any actually convincing or meaningful answer on its own merit.

It's habit for me. Even though I review my post before I post, I often post and then re-read and make edits.
Motoko-chan

Arantor

I hate to say it but that's the most meaningful reason I think I've heard yet.

emanuele

The only time I like to come back to the topic is when I'm answering from the quick reply and I have to move the topic after I've answered (I don't like quick moderation, so I've to use the "move topic" buttons at the end of the topic).
All the other times is (for me) a matter of...waste a bit of time, but not something I do frequently.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

kat

I do the same as 青山 素子.

But, also, it can look a bit different in-situ to what it does in the post-box. (I abhor the WYSIWYG editor)

Advertisement: