News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Adding membergroups as board moderators

Started by Oldiesmann, July 19, 2012, 01:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

One feature I've always wanted to see in SMF, particularly with the moderation and membergroup enhancements that came with 2.0, is the ability to assign an entire membergroup to moderate a board. Currently you can accomplish a similar thing by giving a group moderator-like permissions on a board and then assigning members to that group, but this could be a bit confusion as the regular users wouldn't really know that the members in that group could moderate those boards (although this partly depends on how the admin chooses to publicize things and the group names).

The membergroups-as-moderators feature would let you choose membergroups which would also be listed as moderators alongside the regular members. When a user clicked on the group name, they would be taken to the page which showed the members in that group, and (depending on settings), allowed them to join/request to join that group.

The one thing I can't decide on is how to handle permissions.  Should the members in those groups be treated the same as regular board moderators (same permissions, being listed as a "Moderator" rather than a member of whatever their primary group is, etc.), or should it be more of an aesthetic thing (basically just adding the option to specify that the group should be listed as a moderator for that board)?

I'm inclined to go with the first option, as it makes things a bit less confusing (ideally, all members assigned to moderate a board should have the same permissions, regardless of whether they're assigned individually or as part of a group assigned to moderate the board), but I'm thinking this might confuse some people, as doing it this way would prevent you from being able to edit permissions specifically for that group for those particular boards (eg the permissions for those groups would be inherited from the main "Moderators" group).

Let me know which option you feel is best :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Radick

I would defiantly like a function like that!
I have some communities and i hate it to manage every user for every board an i can't use easily a usergroup...

Hoodie

This is definitely something I'd be interested in.  The way I do it now is setting up profiles to be used with board permissions.  It doesn't publicly display them as moderators which is fine with me because their title kind of already gives that impression.

I run a site for an iOS game and there are many clans on my forum.  Each new clan means a new profile as well so it kind of sucks.  If I could assing a membergroup to be moderator for that forum and that forum only though, that would be awesome.

RoadRash

I would love this.

For my point of view, it should behave exactly the same as  if the user was added to the list of moderators directly - ideally in the board overview the names of the users and not the group is listed. So it would be just a more convinient option to add multiple users :-)

emanuele

* emanuele would love to see a mod (or a PR) at some point. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SD-X

I would love to see membergroups have both this option, and the option to moderate other membergroups too. Both methods are much more secure on large forums where users can constantly lose and gain ranks, because all permissions would thus be inherited via the assigned rank, rather than that plus board moderator rights plus membergroup moderator rights, all of which need removal when someone loses a rank that is relative to said rights.

Oldiesmann

Since there still seems to be some interest in this, the basic consensus is that a group assigned to moderate a board should inherit permissions from the "moderators" group on that board, correct?

Once I figure out how to do that, it shouldn't be all that difficult to add this functionality.

I'm not sure about the idea of having groups moderating other groups. That gets a bit more complicated and could easily be abused.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Arantor

It should. Essentially in loadBoard, figure out what groups there are that are moderators, then whether the current user is in any of those groups, and if so, add group 3 to their account (just like it currently does if they're a board moderator)

Oldiesmann

Good point Arantor. I hadn't thought of that for some reason :P

I'll look into this more in the coming weeks as I have more time and see what I can come up with :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

SD-X

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 13, 2013, 12:36:55 PM
Since there still seems to be some interest in this, the basic consensus is that a group assigned to moderate a board should inherit permissions from the "moderators" group on that board, correct?

Once I figure out how to do that, it shouldn't be all that difficult to add this functionality.

I'm not sure about the idea of having groups moderating other groups. That gets a bit more complicated and could easily be abused.
About membergroups as Board Moderators:
I believe so, yes. Although board profiles can make this happen permissions-wise already, having the ability to have membergroups as Board Moderators also opens up other possibilities that are currently being discussed elsewhere, and can be useful to forums where Administrators also don't know how to use board profiles. It is also a nice visual for forums that wish to make the Board Moderators known to their users by membergroup.

About membergroups moderating membergroups:
Nearly every other forum software out there now has the ability to set groups to moderate other groups. I actually don't understand why that wasn't set up that way from the start with SMF. Many online forums have lower "ranks" within groups that they need the upper ones to keep control of. Allowing them to moderate each other provides for a much more secure way to do this, as it's one less place a user needs to have their rights set and removed from. Otherwise, like in the current version of SMF, Administrators must remember to set a user to both the membergroup and the membergroup moderation by username. Allowing membergroups to moderate other membergroups saves them the trouble on forums where it is useful. One less thing to have to remember, from which permissions can keep control of, is better in this case. If an Administrator forgets to remove both rights, you get a possible security breach from removed users. I've even seen it abused many times before too. Most Administrators expect it to be as easy as setting the user and being done with it.

Arantor

I'd love to know where you're getting this 'many online forums have...' bit. The reality doesn't seem to agree, in that normally moderators can issue warnings to anyone and that if you have too many groups it's going to get chaotic whatever you do.

Also, just because 'nearly every other software out there...' has a feature does not mean the feature is implicitly a good idea.

SD-X

Quote from: Arantor on March 13, 2013, 12:51:51 PM
I'd love to know where you're getting this 'many online forums have...' bit. The reality doesn't seem to agree, in that normally moderators can issue warnings to anyone and that if you have too many groups it's going to get chaotic whatever you do.

Also, just because 'nearly every other software out there...' has a feature does not mean the feature is implicitly a good idea.
I wasn't referring to the warning system at all in this topic.

Kindred

and also, this discussion is about making a group that is the moderators of a single board...   this is separate form the requesto to make groups to be the moderators of other groups.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Correct... but if you can 'moderate' another group, that would generally imply warning them when they misbehave. Anything else is straight up permissions and requires additional, largely unnecessary complexity.

Oldiesmann

One quick update for those who are interested in this...

I am all but done coding and testing this, and I've been extremely thorough adding this.

Current features:
Ability to add groups as moderators from the Manage Boards area
Moderator groups are shown in the list of moderators in the linktree on messageindex and display
Users can click on a group name in that list to see who's in that group
Users in a group assigned to moderate a board will automatically inherit any additional permissions from the "Moderators" group on that board
Users in a group assigned to moderate a board will be shown as moderators in the posts in those boards
Moderator groups are listed in the "Boards" report in the admin center
The "Staff" report in the admin center lists users who are in groups assigned to moderate boards, with the appropriate boards which that user can moderate
The "Track Permissions" feature in the user's profile shows any permissions inherited from the "Moderator" group

The only issue left that I want to fix is that the "Board Permissions" report in the admin center does not reflect permissions inherited from the Moderator group
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

SD-X

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 18, 2013, 03:54:13 AM
One quick update for those who are interested in this...

I am all but done coding and testing this, and I've been extremely thorough adding this.

Current features:
Ability to add groups as moderators from the Manage Boards area
Moderator groups are shown in the list of moderators in the linktree on messageindex and display
Users can click on a group name in that list to see who's in that group
Users in a group assigned to moderate a board will automatically inherit any additional permissions from the "Moderators" group on that board
Users in a group assigned to moderate a board will be shown as moderators in the posts in those boards
Moderator groups are listed in the "Boards" report in the admin center
The "Staff" report in the admin center lists users who are in groups assigned to moderate boards, with the appropriate boards which that user can moderate
The "Track Permissions" feature in the user's profile shows any permissions inherited from the "Moderator" group

The only issue left that I want to fix is that the "Board Permissions" report in the admin center does not reflect permissions inherited from the Moderator group
Very nice! Keep up the awesome work! :)

Oldiesmann

Got it figured out and working properly. I also modified the help text for the moderator group in the admin center to say that permissions assigned to that group will also apply to any group assigned to moderate a board.

For those interested in seeing the changes involved, the pull request can be viewed at https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/318.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Hoodie

Looking good Oldiesmann.  I haven't been on the email tied to this account in a while and didn't notice all the discussion this has brought up.   Glad to see the interest for it was there and very happy to see progress being made on the mod.  Can't wait to see it.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Hoodie on March 21, 2013, 12:20:43 AM
Looking good Oldiesmann.  I haven't been on the email tied to this account in a while and didn't notice all the discussion this has brought up.   Glad to see the interest for it was there and very happy to see progress being made on the mod.  Can't wait to see it.

Just to clear up the confusion, as of right now this has been submitted as a possibility for a new feature in SMF 2.1 (and, given emanuele's comment above, I don't have much doubt that this will eventually make its way to SMF 2.1).

Due to the enormous amount of changes involved with this, I'm a bit hesitant to release it as a mod, but I will see what I can do.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

emanuele

If you read also my comment elsewhere I'm not at all keen on adding anything else to 2.1: the more you add, the more is likely to fail something, somewhere and so a longer testing period is needed.

My comment above was more "create a mod so it can be used with 2.1, then a PR so it can be in 2.2".

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: