Posting new topics fails after phpBB conversion

Started by choptop, September 06, 2005, 03:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choptop

I just converted my phpBB 2.0.10 to SMF 1.0.5. I have 9600 registered users, 43 000 topics, 370 000 posts and 50 000 private messages.

The conversion script worked fine and the conversion took about 6 hours to complete. **)

The old phpBB is still in use and this new SMF installation is used for testing purposes until I have made all modifications necessary to integrate it with the rest of my website. Then I have to convert again to get the new posts from the phpBB... The first impression is that SMF works much better and it's easier to admin & moderate than the old phpBB. We'll see later how it works in production use :)

EDIT:

**) I noticed that when I start a new topic on the SMF, the post appears in the topic listing with the correct topic but when I open this post, there seems to be one or more old posts in the new topic before the actual new post. Maybe something went wrong with the conversion afterall.

As I figure this out, it seems that the new posts get somehow topic ID's which are already in use. What went wrong with the conversion?

[Unknown]

What's the result of this query?

SHOW CREATE TABLE smf_topics;

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

choptop

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 06, 2005, 07:58:24 AM
What's the result of this query?

SHOW CREATE TABLE smf_topics;

What is phpMyAdmin?

-[Unknown]

It says:

CREATE TABLE `smf_topics` (
  `ID_TOPIC` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `isSticky` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_BOARD` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_FIRST_MSG` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_LAST_MSG` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_MEMBER_STARTED` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_MEMBER_UPDATED` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_POLL` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `numReplies` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `numViews` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `locked` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`ID_TOPIC`),
  UNIQUE KEY `poll` (`ID_POLL`,`ID_TOPIC`),
  KEY `isSticky` (`isSticky`),
  KEY `ID_BOARD` (`ID_BOARD`)
) TYPE=MyISAM

I looked into smf_messages table and it seems that there are some messages with ID_TOPIC values which are not yet used in the smf_topics table. So when someone posts a new topic, these "ghost messages" get linked into it. There's not much of these, I guess only 50 to 70 "extra" messages.

For example I posted a new topic to a board ID 10 and the new topic got ID 62381. Now there was one previous message with ID_TOPIC equal to 62381 but it had 25 as a ID_BOARD value. Now while I open the topic 62381 at board 10, this previous message shows up before the new post.

Well hey! I might have just figured out the problem!! While the conversion took 6 hours and the phpBB board was online all the time, these "ghost messages" were posted during the conversion and they belong to a topics that did not exist at the time when the phpBB's topic-table was converted!

[Unknown]

Quote from: choptop on September 06, 2005, 08:10:53 AM
Well hey! I might have just figured out the problem!! While the conversion took 6 hours and the phpBB board was online all the time, these "ghost messages" were posted during the conversion and they belong to a topics that did not exist at the time when the phpBB's topic-table was converted!

Ah, yes.  The converters are not meant to run while the forum is live.

I'm currently working on improving the speed of the converters.  Before, the main idea was to make it so they were kind to the server - now I'd like to make them more efficient, and I think I've found some ways.  But, they are for 1.1's converters, not 1.0.

Since 6 hours is definitely too long, would you be willing to test, or let me test, this new converter on your forum - to see if it takes less than 6 hours, and if so, how much less?  Again, it'd need to be to 1.1, but you could always drop that and go back to 1.0.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

choptop

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 06, 2005, 09:12:54 AM
Since 6 hours is definitely too long, would you be willing to test, or let me test, this new converter on your forum - to see if it takes less than 6 hours, and if so, how much less?  Again, it'd need to be to 1.1, but you could always drop that and go back to 1.0.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

I might even go directly to the 1.1 if the current betaversion would be stable enough for daily usage. I could test the new converter on next weekend.

The forums stats I have already told.. the server is a dedicated one so there's no other forum on it. It's a 2,0Ghz Celeron with 768M memory. (I guess more memory would be nice).

[Unknown]

Do you have eAccelerator installed?  Have you tweaked any of MySQL's settings?

-[Unknown]

choptop

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 06, 2005, 09:46:59 AM
Do you have eAccelerator installed?  Have you tweaked any of MySQL's settings?

-[Unknown]

I think I don't have eAccelerator and I have not tweaked MySQL.
I know I should do something to get more out of the server, but I'm not so familiar with Unix/Apache/MySQL configuration.

Advertisement: