News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Information Box

Started by wittylady, August 21, 2012, 06:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wittylady

Is it possible that someone would be willing  to build a box in which you make temporary announcement to forums users in text.

This box would be about the size and location of your advertisement box directly above all the posts on here.

I have absolutely no knowledge of coding so are unable to do this myself. I am willing to make a small donation to the author if required.

I have tried some boxes but for one reason or another they either dont work or are not what i want.  I am using the latest version of

SMF 2.02  and are very pleased with it but need to make a few tweaks to attract visitors. This box would be one way of doing that.

Thank you so much xx

Shambles

Have you considered installing a Portal?

You can have as many boxes as you like with those  8)

wittylady

i am very ignorant in all this .. can you explain what a portal would do please ?

I only set up my forum thus week and are still feeling my way around

Thanks for your help xx

emanuele

Did you already try to enable the "news fader on board index"?
Admin > configuration > current theme, Show news fader on board index.

And then, of course, use admin > main > news and newsletters > news to create news and show them on the board index.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Shambles

I only mentioned a Portal (and not the news fader) because a post you made a few days ago suggested you were looking into chatboxes & integration features etc. Simple Portal1 has a chatbox facility.

1 Other Portals are available

wittylady

Thanks emanuele  -  that has sorted my problem i now display my competition notice just above the boards xxxxxx

Just a shame you cannot change colour of text etc ....  but i guess thats too much to expect.

I appreciate you both trying to help ... once again thanks xxxx

Shambles

Of course you can change the colour of the text  8)

Wrap colour tags (and any others if you wish) around the text

Shambles

And I think spammers ought to be shot  ::)

emanuele

Quote from: Shambles™ on September 04, 2012, 06:40:25 AM
And I think spammers ought to be shot  ::)
* emanuele thinks the report to moderator is there for that. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

NanoSector

^ 'nother one. I'll deal with it after this post.

You can use Ad Management Mod and place a kind of "ad" on the places you want to show it - that'll do the trick I guess.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

I can see the appeal for such a feature in the core; it is what XenForo calls notices, but they have a great deal of selectivity in terms of where such notices show, whether they have been dismissed by users, which users can see them.

I think it would either be worth not doing it, or going full bore to have something like XenForo has.

Feedback please.

Advertisement: