News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountryLady

Well said stmaxx~!

ARG01

Quote from: xeon365 on October 30, 2014, 01:25:07 AM
yes xenforo seems like the next one to move to, my smf board is nothing but tons of mods attempting to get what is just another boards freaking defaults.

This is often the very base of ones problems. I have been using SMF since it's birth and have been a theme designer for at least 10 tears. One thing that I have noticed is that a vast majority of forum owners spend a vast majority of their time working on cosmetics and installing unneeded mods and minimal time actually operating a successful forum.

Five Steps to a Successful SMF forum:

1. Install SMF
2. Choose a theme.
3. Design a logo, change a few colors.
4. Stop trying to be the big shot with an over abundance of unnecessary mods.
5. Actually admin your forum.

Sorry, I'll get back on topic now.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Biology Forums

At the beginning (first two years), I installed countless mods that did the most basic things, because I didn't know how to code, and I didn't know which files to edit. Now that I have this knowledge, I've come to realize that half, if not more, of the mods I installed in the past were useless, and I've been correcting ny mistakes ever since. 2.1 is a solid piece of software, and this comes after using it for a solid hour - great new features and great design. SMF, as the name implies, is a simple platform. If you want a bloated platform, then install all those mods or purchase a forum software that incorporates everything (I don't think they exist either, given that Xenforo also has plenty of mods that can be installed).

glennmckenna

hope i can ask this question but:
my i ask what is the status on smf 2.1 has it been released oe is it still in alpha, if it is may i ask what's it's current status ?

Arantor

It is still in alpha but has been available the entire time on Github for you to experiment with.

glennmckenna

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 10:38:44 AM
It is still in alpha but has been available the entire time on Github for you to experiment with.
is there a long list of jobs still to do on it or not ?
don't mean to ask to much

Arantor

*shrug* It'll be finished when it's finished. Yes, there are things still to do, again this is all on Github.

glennmckenna

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 10:41:01 AM
*shrug* It'll be finished when it's finished. Yes, there are things still to do, again this is all on Github.
ok thanks for your help and fast answers

glennmckenna

is there a place where i can find the bug list or the list of jobs to do ?

Arantor

glennmckenna

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 10:50:06 AM
-sigh- GITHUB.
i've looked around on github but i couldn't see any thing
(do i need to visit speck savers ?)

Arantor

Every repository on Github has a list of issues.

glennmckenna

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 10:55:07 AM
Every repository on Github has a list of issues.
that's only wat been recently chaged what i meant is there a list of know bug or something like that on github ?

Arantor

-sigh- No, it is not the list of what's recently changed. The open issue list IS the list of what is known bugs/to do.

Since this appears to be too complicated to understand, https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues is the list of what is to be done. However you should wait until 2.1 is out because this is clearly not suitable for you.

glennmckenna

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2014, 10:59:58 AM
-sigh- No, it is not the list of what's recently changed. The open issue list IS the list of what is known bugs/to do.

Since this appears to be too complicated to understand, https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues is the list of what is to be done. However you should wait until 2.1 is out because this is clearly not suitable for you.
thanks
sorry don't know github that much

jsx

On github is information that SMF 2.1 is in BETA 1 stage, but I've question, why you don't released official information about that this version is available? Why you don't informing people of progress of works?

Arantor

Because it is not quite beta yet?

Kindred

exactly --- it is being PREPPED for beta, which means we have changed the version strings... but it has not yet been officially released as Beta 1 because we are closing the last few issues we have targeted for the release and preparing the code for actual release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

SergeantAsh

Quick query - will there be an upgrade path from SMF 2.0.9 to SMF 2.1 upon it's release?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Advertisement: