News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

When you say, upgrade path, what do you mean?

Do you mean, will there be an upgrade.php which you run after you upload the 2.1 files, overwriting all 2.0.x files and requiring all new mods and themes?
Then yes....

If you mean, will there be a package manage patch file...
Then no...

This is version upgrade, not a patch release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SergeantAsh

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2014, 07:52:28 AM
When you say, upgrade path, what do you mean?

Do you mean, will there be an upgrade.php which you run after you upload the 2.1 files, overwriting all 2.0.x files and requiring all new mods and themes?
Then yes....

If you mean, will there be a package manage patch file...
Then no...

This is version upgrade, not a patch release.

Thanks for the information Kindred. Sounds good, I'm running an upgrade now from 2.0 RC3 to 2.0.9, looking forward to seeing if there are performance enhancements between the two. Also very much looking forward to eventually going up to 2.1!
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Arantor

No major performance changes from RC3 up, but there are many bug and security fixes over the last 4 years.

jonnylbluejeans

I'm sure the devs get tired of hearing this, but thanks for all the time and thought that goes into a fantastic product.  I am new to SMF but we love 2.0.9 and are looking forward to what you have in store with 2.1.

stmaxx

I in testing the SMF 2.1 see many user friendly changes in the 2.1 B1 so far, Now keep in mind I'm looking from the outside and in the looks and feel of the SMF. I am very sure, there is much more to it, on the inside to be considered, that we all may not see.

I see many things that have been improved, in the looks and styling of the 2.1! Not only in the styling it's self, but the php files, seem to be more admin friendly to edit ( only if you know how to ) that is.

I could go on with this but, better you discover these things on you own. For me the next step the RC + steps, are depending on several important things, some are; security , bug awareness, tracking and fixing, stability and basically a solid release. I feel it's to far in the game, to be asking for any major changes in the product at this point.

Any or all major additions and or changes, should or possibly be considered in the future alpha planning.

Now one thing, I have learnt from this is, many like major changes and others hate major changes.
But the major changes are most likely not to happen real soon. ( as I can see)_ Some of us, will need to get use to the Change already in the mix, and I am and so are some others I know.

For now we need to let it flow and continue to test and report what we find.. The changes that most are looking for will be done by the mods and themes, that are already be looked at and done as we speak.

I know at times I myself get impatient, I just want everyone to get together and let things flow, not point at anyone, But the complete community needs, not get in the way!

One thing that may help is a topic for a wishlist for the future , but not now!

I hope this better explain my feeling on all this!

kind regards,
Maxx

SoLoGHoST

I wonder how has the development of Mods changed from SMF 2.0.x to SMF 2.1?  Have just installed SMF 2.1 and seeing that it wants to emulate SMF 2.0 on every mod I try to install, and doesn't let me attempt to install it with SMF 2.1 Beta 1.  Strange thing is, I haven't seen 1 single Modification at the SMF Customization Site that even supports SMF 2.1 natively, without emulation.  And very little, to no documentation whatsoever on SMF 2.1 in the Development section of this site.  I wonder what is involved with upgrading a Mod for SMF 2.0.x to SMF 2.1 Beta 1.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject please?

Arantor

Because changing it to target version "2.1 Beta 1" instead of 2.0 as a range is difficult? That and the fact 2.1 Beta 1 isn't an option on the mod site.

Actually in most cases all you need to do is change the version. Template stuff is largely unchanged, and even vastly complex mods that do many-hook integrations are largely unchanged.

Antes

I crated a dummy mod pack with install for="2.0 - 2.0.99, 2.1 Beta 1" it doesn't try to emulate back to 2.0.x, I think packman also accepts "2.1 Beta *", but I don't recommend that.

SoLoGHoST

SoLoGHoST

Noticing $modSettings['integrate_default_action'] that is the fall through action (if defined), taking the first array index, in index.php, is this implemented in a hook of some sort?  Or just through the settings db table?  Or a new setting in SMF perhaps?  Also, where is the place to discuss development in SMF 2.1 officially?

Arantor

It's a hook like all the other hooks... including you adding to it the same way hooks have been handled for the last 5 years...

Antes

I think very best place: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=195.0

About integrate_default_action; I created this pack bit long ago to show how to make portal (alike) responsive http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531878.msg3780752#msg3780752

SoLoGHoST

Are people able to discuss Mod Development there Antes?  I thought that was the place to upload WIP and MODs only for review?

Cheers :)

SoLoGHoST

Can I also ask, why you don't just use Bootstrap for responsive design in SMF?  Or are you guys already using it?  Haven't noticed.

Arantor

Because when 2.1 was started, responsive wasn't a consideration, and was supposed to be a quick release while 3.0 was worked on. Trying to add Bootstrap *now* would be a mammoth undertaking (coming from someone that actually tried it) as opposed to something in the meantime that doesn't require rebuilding vast amounts of templates or anything.

I am intrigued though, last time the word 'framework' was used around you, you went off into a tirade about how using frameworks promotes lazy developers.

Antes

You can always use Codding Discussion board as well, then ask to move your topic to Mod Dev. board once you have new pack. But I personally don't see any harm in opening topic there to discuss SMF 2.1 related mod/theme stuff.

There was a "2.1 Comments" board but its archived, I'm not aware of any plans from Development and/or Customization team want to put a new board to discuss upcoming version related modding/theme creating discussions. Please wait Lead Developer, Lead Customizer or Project Manager to reply that question officially :)

Thank you.

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on January 25, 2015, 04:13:58 PM
Can I also ask, why you don't just use Bootstrap for responsive design in SMF?  Or are you guys already using it?  Haven't noticed.

TBH, if I didn't bring or coded it there was no "mobile friendly" look planned for Curve2 (bit shameless promotion but that's truth). So no real need for bootstrap. Another part is boostrap (or similar frameworks) means rewrite to whole classes inside the theme. That's something totally unneeded for SMF 2.1, also I personally dislike those frameworks :P, I rather like to use things created for that software. I'm using Font-Awesome for Lunarfall just because I don't have skills to create icons for that theme etc... (+what Arantor said :P).

SoLoGHoST

@Arantor - Haha, yes, I remember that.

Font-Awesome is awesome, I have used it many times.  Anyways, thanks again guys.  Have a good day.

stmaxx

I'm experimenting with systems built on Bootstrap and that's the  thing, one, they built on it and the other is, they are basically light weight forums, very minimal functionality and templates.

I like it in that respect or use, but, it will be way more complicated to do on SMF unless a complete redo of the system,  ( like mentioned above)!
I also have another Video site that is built on Bootstrap.

But that's not SMF Forum.... I like the way 2.1 is going!

regards,
Maxx

SoLoGHoST

I don't understand the complication of using Bootstrap?  Hell, can basically do it in a theme for SMF, Since all SMF is templates pretty much.  It basically would make a great Theme IMHO.  Maybe a few minor changes in source code, removing floatleft and floatright, changing clear to clearfix instead.

Hell, all of my mods seem more complicated to me than creating a Bootstrap Theme for SMF.

Arantor

Clearly you never actually *tried* it. And missed the point of why floatleft and floatright are classes the way they are as well as lefttext and righttext (hint: not all languages have content starting on the LEFT)

Advertisement: