News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to get new members

Started by S Mac, October 07, 2012, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S Mac

I know this has been asked a thousand times...but anyone got a fresh perspective? My forum's getting a fair bit of traffic for a new forum but I can't get people to register!

I'm pretty much doing everything that can be done - posting something every day, marketing through various social media channels, relevant content...and it's working to an extent. I'm even offering prizes to people who register and post - so what's going wrong? People are still only looking but not registering!!!

It's only been about 3 months so maybe I just need to be more patient. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Looking

What kind of niche do you have? Link to your site?

S Mac

That's the problem, it's extremely niche and it's hard to get members of this community chatting. Am I allowed to post the link? Here goes http://blackbeautyhaircareforum.org.uk

Thank you!

Looking

Ok then you are catering for people who are interested in that, are internet savvy and willing to write about it. Probably combine yourself with marketers of those products.

S Mac

OK, thanks. I think it's just going to take a little more time.

Colin

Have you tried any local advertising?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

TheListener

The theme may be a slight turn off too.

Colin

Quote from: Old Fossil on October 07, 2012, 12:37:46 PM
If you are set on the pink, then may try a more grayish color for the background so it isn't so intense. The complexity of the header also hides the title.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

S Mac

Thanks for your input guys. I agree that the pink may be a bit much...although some of my members seem to like it. These are definitely things I'll be thinking about. Local advertising is a good idea.. :)

KensonPlays

This is like a month late, but maybe offer multiple themes that the user can choose from.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Colin

Quote from: Kcmartz on November 02, 2012, 12:47:58 PM
This is like a month late, but maybe offer multiple themes that the user can choose from.
I disagree, I think standardization and branding outweigh the benefits of offering multiple themes

Colin

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: S Mac on October 07, 2012, 08:07:00 AM
That's the problem, it's extremely niche and it's hard to get members of this community chatting. Am I allowed to post the link? Here goes http://blackbeautyhaircareforum.org.uk

Thank you!

Keep in mind that getting visitors to your site is one thing, getting them to register another and getting them to post yet another thing.

I have not looked at your site, but as always content is king for any forum and at first you will need to be adding all the content.

melanie1986

Facebook and Twitter are working well for me. I've set up both a group and page for my forum on FB :D

BFriendly

Quote from: Old Fossil on October 07, 2012, 12:37:46 PM

GAH !!!!  WAY TOO PINK!!!

AAAAGHHH !  MY EYES, MY EYES, I'm BLINDED, AAAAaaaaaAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!
[/font]

Okay, so you should have had the link to your forum in your profile.  That was the first place I checked in order to take a look at the forum.  You need some tips in Internet Marketing and SEO.

Your niche is NOT too defined.  "Black Hair" is HUGE.  You should have tons of traffic and making money.

Gerald2000

Get some good backlinks to your site, it will rank your pages higher in search engines when people search within your niche

gman1

Quote from: S Mac on October 07, 2012, 07:48:57 AM
I know this has been asked a thousand times...but anyone got a fresh perspective? My forum's getting a fair bit of traffic for a new forum but I can't get people to register!

I'm pretty much doing everything that can be done - posting something every day, marketing through various social media channels, relevant content...and it's working to an extent. I'm even offering prizes to people who register and post - so what's going wrong? People are still only looking but not registering!!!

It's only been about 3 months so maybe I just need to be more patient. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!     
I thought I was the only person that was bribing people to go on my forum,.. lol   It actually works though. I am just taking this one day at a time right now. I think it will pick up interest among people in my profession? After all, every one has a Sanitation worker picking up their trash and recycle. It is world wide. I just have fears of it growing faster than I learn in in's and out's of SMF. If I had 50 people from each state, which is a very small %, that would be 5000 members, WOW !   This SMF is really awesome. I am getting a lot of positive responses about my forum. 
I am working on getting a Logo and some products developed to help advertise the forum and hopefully make a few $ for my time? I have probably done 40 hrs on the computer since last Saturday. Besides working my regular 40 hr shift !

So SMF people.....tell your San Man or San Woman that they have a place to meet and share. Love you, Gman
Gmen Rule!

karalahana

Any progress about members? If any do you share your methods. Because wee need more members too  :)

ApplianceJunk

I can sell you some of my members, ROFL...

j/k ;)

TheRealityBuzz

You can always have a theme select, so the members who like that pink can still use it. And something different for those who find the pink to bright. 

S Mac

Thanks for your advice guys. BFriendly..a little over the top wasn't it?! lol. OK, so my forum's very pink! I'm not sure that's the problem but you may be right, I'll look into offering other themes - although I'd prefer to have the brand looking uniform. You're right, this forum's got so much potential.. so I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've even scored myself a HUGE prize to giveaway and even that hasn't worked. Still getting lots of views but not registering. I guess it just takes time. I'll work on the backlinks and SEO too.

Advertisement: