Simple Machines Forum Conference Survey

Started by Runic, October 16, 2012, 11:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

Hello SMF users, admins and everyone else!

September 30th, 2013 will be the 10th Anniversary of the release of SMF 1.0 Beta 1 to charter members!

This is a HUGE milestone! Over the last 10 years, we have matured as a software and as a project. There have been periods of upheaval, but the project survived and has grown tremendously from the original (albeit impressive) piece of software released in 2003. To celebrate the 10th Anniversary, and possibly start a new tradition, Simple Machines is planning to arrange a large scale conference/convention event.

Unlike anything we have done previously, this event is planned to be of interest for ALL of the folks involved with SMF, whether they be project team members, admins of site(s) which run SMF or just interested users. In light of this, we have created a small ten minute survey to find out what kinds of activities you would like to see at the conference as well as help narrow down a possible region on where we will host the event. The survey is hosted via Google and the information collected is anonymous (unless you identify yourself).

We apologize to our multi-lingual folks, but the survey is in English and only answers in English will be tallied.

We thank everyone who has been involved with SMF in the last nine years, and the upcoming tenth year, from the team members to every user of SMF.

Regards
Simple Machines
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Gary

Cool. I look forward to seeing how this pans out.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Shambles

Deaks

Should mention we are only in Market Research phase and this is no guarantee that it will go ahead :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Shambles

I can confirm it takes less than 10 minutes to complete (took me 4 mins), and the questions seem highly relevant to the objective.

Good luck with the campaign.

Night09

Wow have we all aged so much ?  :P Doesnt seem that long ago when SMF appeared!  ;D

Will do the survey later once im home.

Deaks

it has indeed been a long journey and its great to see a software meet 10 years as thats a long time for an internet project ... now remember this is just since we released the first charter release, SMF goes back to the days of YaBB heyday,
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Gary

Something that should probably be mentioned is that the end result of this survey, if the results are favourable, that the event would be totally different from the Meeting of the Minds that took place in Tucson, Arizona in 2007/2008 (that event occurred over new years). Since that was exclusive to team members, whereas this would not, all community members would be invited to come participate.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

And folks...   we're looking for REAL input on what sort of events to host at the conference.
panels on various topics, hands-on working, instructional lectures... etc...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Well, I completed it but I'd be going to be sociable, I wouldn't be going for the events, so I didn't put anything in for the events ;)

Liam.

While I'd prefer it be mid-UK, I'd definitely still consider going if it were in London. It's great to see this might actually happen, I certainly hope it does! I've submitted the form, but I may as well note this here so others can discuss too.

I'd like to see some hands-on things where people are put in the role of a real forum administrator, where something occurs and they have to figure their way out of it, much like an experienced forum admin would've but most admins hadn't had the chance yet. I'd also be interested in a coding/design panel, but I doubt everyone will be interested in that.

Arantor

London is much easier to get to than mid-UK for everyone else flying from outside the UK, due to multiple international airports in the vicinity. ;)

Kindred

Liam, fill out the survey. We will not be searching this thread for answers, only the survey results
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gary

Quote from: Arantor on October 17, 2012, 08:21:13 PM
London is much easier to get to than mid-UK for everyone else flying from outside the UK, due to multiple international airports in the vicinity. ;)
And the fact that a vast majority of the international flights to the other UK airports route through LHR anyway. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

Arantor

Well, yeah, though I personally hate my experiences with LHR. Gatwick rules!

Gary

The only "bad" experience I had at LHR was trying to find Runic who was in the wrong terminal, but I know why that happened. LGW is easier to get around in sure. I once had a friend that worked there actually. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

Oldiesmann

I submitted my response as well, though I'd prefer it to be in the US for obvious reasons, as much as I've always wanted to visit London.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Deaks

tbh i prefer Edinburgh for visit than London, and arantor plenty of flights to edinburgh from london :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

wattie

Online broadcasting guys, regardless where the conference is.

Advertisement: