News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Developer Mode

Started by inter, October 26, 2012, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inter

Hi!
My idea!
Make a new version of the developer mode setting
so that from the admin area you can change the value of the variable $db_show_debug.
Thanks!
Sorry for my English

mrintech

Hi

Your site tiraspol . me has been blocked by Kaspersky:

:o

vbgamer45

Quote from: Inter on October 26, 2012, 08:09:48 AM
Hi!
My idea!
Make a new version of the developer mode setting
so that from the admin area you can change the value of the variable $db_show_debug.
Thanks!
I agree since a lot of people do not know about that setting
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

emanuele

The fact that people don't know something exists is not bad by default. :P

Don't know, seems a bit too much an option for development.
Make more evident the option exists yes, it's a good point.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

inter

Quote from: mrintech on October 26, 2012, 10:12:40 AM
Hi

Your site tiraspol . me has been blocked by Kaspersky:

:o

ups, thanks for report
I use avast
Sorry for my English

Arantor

This is an interesting one. I know I changed it for <the fork that shall not be named>, to make it more accessible, but there's a whole slew of things attached to it.

Most importantly, security. The way things are currently built, it is not actually possible to make this happen from the admin panel. There is physically no way to export a true boolean value out into Settings.php; this is entirely intentional and by design - every little bit of security helps. As it stands, to enable this you need to go into the file directly to change it.

This is consistent with other forum systems; anyone capable of understanding the output would be able to turn it on in the first place.

I dunno, I'm ultimately undecided about the work required to make this happen. I know I did it more extensively elsewhere but there were consequences to that; you have to start logging immediately in all cases and then - and only then - ditch logging if you know the user couldn't see it anyway. It just gets messy.

Suki

I don't know how useful this would be to be honest, it will just save you some time but thats about it. If you have the need to see the debug info chances are you already know how to do that.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Gargoyle

Tell me of this developer mode... Curious now.

Arantor

Add $db_show_debug = true; to Settings.php before the closing ?> in the file.

Gargoyle

Im guessing bad stuff with be in red then?  Neat lil feature!

Arantor

Well, it's not 'bad stuff'. On occasion it can be extremely useful for debugging by seeing what queries (and what other stuff) is happening on the current page load. But most people don't need it, and making it easier to access is not really a smart idea.

One of the things I actually kind of regret doing in Wedge now.

Gargoyle

Ah yes I see your point now.... Yeup just turned it off... I agree with you... LOL!!!

Arantor

There are certain times in the code we actually forcibly turn it off in 2.1 now because of the way things are done...

Arantor

But yeah, on reflection I think it's not a good idea to actually make this easier to get at. The whole reason for using true rather than 1/0 in the Settings.php was deliberately so people couldn't access it from the admin panel, so you could never force that information to be visible as it could be a security risk.

I see more reasons to say no than I do to say yes :/

Advertisement: