News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Search broken?

Started by Bonk, September 12, 2005, 04:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonk

I seem to be unable to get any hits on the simplest of searches here. Is the search function broken on this forum?

I tried searching for "SSI" which I know should get some hits, but alas, I get none.  :(

I'm looking for the SSI function to get the user that is logged in.

edit: I found what I needed here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=14906.0

...nevertheless the search function here still seems broken.

JayBachatero

I am experiencing the same thing.  I believe they are doing some updates to the site.  Remember this is also the development server.  So it should be fixed later on today.  The admins should be aware of this.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Bichon

First the server load is to high to search now no search at all.
How the hell am i suppose to use this software and fix problems.
I have been fighting with the spell check for 4 days now and can't get one answer.
At least there is some support at the free open source YaBB forums unlike here.
All i get is frustration and upset members. I got to go back to YaBB right quick.
What a big mistake i have made, my own fault so suffer the consequences eh.
Any converters out there to go back to YaBB? Like u will get an answer what a joke.

[Unknown]

Please do not swear.  If you are impatient, simply use Google.

-[Unknown]

JayBachatero

Sorry I believe the support here is great.  Just cause it might take some time  to answer you request doesn't mean that the support sucks.  The developers are real people they have jobs and other things to do so give them time.  If you read some of  the post the support here is one of the best.  They are willing to go and help you hand to hand.  Also just cause the server load is bad doesn't mean that the software sucks.  It was discussed before.  Sometimes the server is doing backup and it disables the search feature.  Also if you cant get the "community forum" search to work you are welcomed to use entire site search which works real nice.

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

Compuart

Sorry about the search not working, my mistake. I had rewritten SMF's search engine and was testing it here. It appeared to work properly, however, I had left a typo preventing search to work for everyone. It should now both work, and be a lot faster than before. Please let me know what you think of it, and how the search function could be further improved. Thank you.

Bichon, please take into account that, as with all open source project, people here are spending their spare time to help other people the best they can. I'm sorry you're experiencing dificulties getting an answer to your question, but I'm sure there is someone willing to answer your question.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Bichon

Quote from: Compuart on September 12, 2005, 06:35:45 PM
Bichon, please take into account that, as with all open source project, people here are spending their spare time to help other people the best they can. I'm sorry you're experiencing dificulties getting an answer to your question, but I'm sure there is someone willing to answer your question.

So is YaBB and PHPBB both open source both free blab blab...
Interesting how fast replies come to someone complaining.

[Unknown]

Well, I really quite dislike it when people swear.  You can take your bad attitude where ever you like, but that won't help you at all.

I'm not going to reply any faster to anyone who's complaining than not, but someone who is breaking the rules and being tremendously rude (swearing) will not see my favor.  And I always warn people before I ban them for bad behavior.

-[Unknown]

JayBachatero

Well the thing is not everyone here can solve every little issue you have.  That's when the Dev team comes in.  They wrote the code and they know it pretty darn well and they are usually pretty buzzy helping people out or developing future versions of this great software we have.  Also take into account they all live around the world and there are time differences.  So while you are posting your problem they might be sleeping.  Or they are working so they cant get to your problem right away.  Like [Unknown] said "Patience is a virtue".
Follow me on Twitter

Isaac

Quote from: Bichon on September 12, 2005, 07:04:51 PM

I think you should show a little bit more respect to the people who are taking time out of their own lives to provide you with an excellent FREE message board system, in addition to the FREE support they offer.

TriGrrrl

Quote from: Bichon

Puhlease... I couldn't run away from phpBB fast enough.

[Unknown] is my hero, and I haven't complained once!   ;)

TG

Sys_ZERO

Quote from: Bichon on September 12, 2005, 07:04:51 PM
You have an attitude problem. Why do you think the staff at SMF will help you with your attitude that you have at the moment? If you don't like SMF then use that phpBB/YabbSE and see how fast it takes for you to get hacked! As the others said, SMF staff do *NOT* get paid to work and they've sacrificed parts of their lives and made an EXELLENT piece of forum software for the Internet Community.

Now, If you don't have the patients because "YaBB and PHPBB both open source both free blab blab" then I'd suggest you goto phpBB and see how their support is. It's no different (or even worse) then SMF's support. As for YabbSE, the team who wrote it don't provide support anymore as they moved onto SMF.

Bottom Line: The staff at SMF don't get paid to work it and the Internet Community is lucky to have an exellent, free piece of software and be patient for support. And if you have a problem with SMF's free software then go elsewhere.

Sys_ZERO

redone

Actually you will find this about the freindliest and most helpful forum support you find anywhere else. People like [unknown] and the support team here help people out each and every day.

And yes, they do this all on there time. Post sensibly is the point.

Bonk

Sorry about the search not working, my mistake. I had rewritten SMF's search engine and was testing it here. It appeared to work properly, however, I had left a typo preventing search to work for everyone. It should now both work, and be a lot faster than before. Please let me know what you think of it, and how the search function could be further improved. Thank you.

Thanks, I figured as much, but thought I'd let you know. It is working now and does seem faster.

I modified the search forms on the default theme for our forums (1.0.5)  to try to prevent users from blindly searching the entire databse (388000 posts > 300 MB MySQL db on disk). Which on our slightly old server could take up to 80 seconds and during this time the server would not respond to any other requests... (100% cpu use - quad Xeon 500MHz w 1GB RAM).

Hopefully we wont have too much trouble updating to 1.1 when it comes out of beta. The improvements in the search function is the main motivator for me to update it when the time comes.

My suggestion for the search function is rather simple, in the default themes/templates make it so that searching the whole database is not the default, but force users to make that selection with some notice of processing time.

Thanks for your efforts in improving the search function, it is much needed as the search capabilites and defaults of 1.0.5 can be crippling with a large database on an older server.

(lately I've been working on integrating PJIRC and gllcTS2 into our SMF based website outside the "mod" framework to preserve flexibility:
http://www.dynaverse.net/irc_chat.php
http://www.dynaverse.net/tsinfo/
I may consider using the SMF "mod" framework once it has stabilised somewhat, but I still have issues with the whole SMF "mod" concept as I've expressed before...)

Thanks again for improving the seach function - much needed and I look forward to a release of 1.1!  8)

[Unknown]

You have to search the entire database if you want to use the fulltext index, which is the fastest.  The problem comes in when you use a word not indexed in the fulltext index (like "ssi", "unknown", "topic", or any other very common word.)  But that's what stickies are for.

Unfortunately, you should just watch the searches going on here.  People say no one searches, pah!  There's multiple searches going on per second, often times.

-[Unknown]

Bonk

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 15, 2005, 12:55:47 PM
You have to search the entire database if you want to use the fulltext index, which is the fastest.

Sounds illogical to me, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 15, 2005, 12:55:47 PM
Unfortunately, you should just watch the searches going on here.  People say no one searches, pah!  There's multiple searches going on per second, often times.

Wish we had the hardware to support that kind of activity... or perhaps its our MySQL setup that is the problem?

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/status.php?mysql_info=1

Compuart

Today's your lucky day ;) We've just opened a new board, Performance and Server Configuration specifically to discuss matters of speed and scalability  :D
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

[Unknown]

Yes, please post a new topic there with your link.  And, actually, please try using the attached status.php.

-[Unknown]

Bonk

Advertisement: