Installer can't find Installers Language file/s

Started by Oz_Sandman, September 13, 2005, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz_Sandman

HI :) I'm on GoDaddy Deluxe Windows hosting, and am having trouble getting installer to find and/or recognize  the Language Files in the installer.
I've created a mysql database on my godaddy account, and have uploaded all files to my ftp, and have kept directory structure intact.

I point my browser to the install.php file, and at first i got the error message saying i needed to set 'write' permissions on 10 different files/folders, so I did that, (and had problems because it didn't recognise the permissions at first but is ok now though) , so now i can get past that screen, but now i get the following error message.

A critical error has occurred.

This installer was unable to find the installer's language file or files. They should be found under:

/forums/Themes/default/languages

In some cases, FTP clients do not properly upload files with this many folders. Please double check to make sure you have uploaded all the files in the distribution.

If that doesn't help, please make sure this install.php file is in the same place as the Themes folder.

If you continue to get this error message, feel free to look to us for support.

Simple Machines

I've double checked the size of each file in the Languages folder, and i've uploaded again and again, and have even had someone else have a go at it, and they uploaded everything again and still got the same error. He said that it's coz my server isn't recognizing user permissions or something, i can't think off hand.

I've read through most of the other posts here, and haven't seen anyone post about this error message. How come I can't get past this screen? is there something i have to set or configure in my account on GoDaddy? or is the problem on GoDaddy's side? I really want to install these forums lol... but nothing seems to work for me on my hosting account when it comes to php and mysql. I've tried phpbb and now SMF but as you can see , no luck either.

Thank you in advance and hope that someone can help me with this :)

Oldiesmann

Make sure that Install.english.php exists in that folder.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Oz_Sandman

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 13, 2005, 11:10:06 AM
Make sure that Install.english.php exists in that folder.

Thanks Oldiesmann.
Yeah it's in that folder, i just double checked again. It's file size is 10.1KB same as it is in the original zip file. Installer is still giving me same error message.

Anyone have any idea why these files aren't being recognised by the Installer ?
Thanks in advance and i hope someone can help with this :) :)

Oz_Sandman

After reading a couple more posts about Permissions being set on certain files, i thought i'd add this, what i've done so far

I've set 'write' permissions on each file it asked me to set it on, via the Godaddy 'Custom Windows Directory Permissions' manager and i get that error message i posted above.
When i set 'read' AND 'write' i get a blank page.

I've also set 'write' permissions on the Install.english.php file that's in the Languages folder.
I'm still getting same error message as above.

This is driving me crazy, as i've seen that others on godaddy windows deluxe hosting are able to do this, and aren't getting this message.

Thanks in advance :)

[Unknown]

Find in install.php:

// Make sure the languages directory actually exists.
if (file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/Themes/default/languages'))
{
// Find all the "Install" language files in the directory.
$dir = dir(dirname(__FILE__) . '/Themes/default/languages');
while ($entry = $dir->read())
{
if (substr($entry, 0, 8) == 'Install.')
$found[$entry] = ucfirst(substr($entry, 8, strlen($entry) - 12));
}
$dir->close();
}

Replace:

{
{
echo 'Checking ', $entry, '.<br />';
}
$dir->close();
}
else
echo 'Cannot find ', dirname(__FILE__), '/Themes/default/languages!<br />';

How do I modify files?

Does it show anything informative?

-[Unknown]

Oz_Sandman

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 13, 2005, 10:34:20 PM
Find in install.php:

{
{
}
$dir->close();
}

Replace:

{
{
echo 'Checking ', $entry, '.<br />';
}
$dir->close();
}
else
echo 'Cannot find ', dirname(__FILE__), '/Themes/default/languages!<br />';

How do I modify files?

Does it show anything informative?

-[Unknown]

Thanks [Unknown]
I've replaced that code with the one ya said, and this is what I got. All i can see is the difference in the Slashes  \ & / .... sorry but i'm lost. I can't think of what I've done or what needs to be edited.

Cannot find d:\hosting\username\forums/Themes/default/languages!
A critical error has occurred.

This installer was unable to find the installer's language file or files. They should be found under:

/forums/Themes/default/languages

In some cases, FTP clients do not properly upload files with this many folders. Please double check to make sure you have uploaded all the files in the distribution.

If that doesn't help, please make sure this install.php file is in the same place as the Themes folder.

If you continue to get this error message, feel free to look to us for support.

Simple Machines

Are those \ & / significant in this ?

I've also set 'read' and 'write' permissions on 'forums\Themes\default\languages'    and have also set 'write' permissions on 'forums\Themes\default\languages\Install.english.php'  and only difference i can see in the error messages is that Top line. The Themes folder and it's subfolders are there within the 'forums' folder though.

Could i move the languages folder to the forums folder  and edit the path in the install.php file where it looks for that languages folder? would that work ?

Thanks again in advance :)

Oz_Sandman

Hi again

I've called GoDaddy support and spoke to them about this problem, and they checked the server, to make sure i'm getting permission to run things etc, and they said that all they can see is that because my Windows hosting runs PHP in safemode, the SMF installer isn't seeing the required files/folders, and that i could try removing any asp scripts that run in unsafe mode. I'm kinda lost there, so any help with this would be very much appreciated :)

If all else fails i guess ill have to upgrade to Linux on my account, and GoDaddy support said that on Linux, the Free SMF application is installed on one of their own databases when i activate it, and is not installed on any of my available mysql databses, but they said i'm able to have that installation transferred over to one of my databases, or i could leave it on theirs and basically that will give me one extra mysql to work with. I apparently will still have total control over everything.

But for now  is anyone able to help me with the suggestion they said about removing any script that is running in unsafe mode , within the SMF directory please? i think this will be last attempt before i change to linux so i can get SMF up and running.
Thanks in advance, and i can't wait to get SMF installed on my site :)

Oz_Sandman

Hiyas.

Thanks to those who posted suggestions for the above problem. I wanted to let yas know that my problem is fixed. I got annoyed and upgraded to Linux on my Deluxe hosting on GoDaddy.

I had no problems at all installing it, it took a few mins, and so far i've had no problems with emailing from the board, or registering and receiving the activation email. So all is good in the land of Oz atm :P

Thanks guys for ya help and keep up the good work on the forums :)
tc all :)

[Unknown]

The / and \ are not significant.  Sounds to me like the files were owned by the wrong user.  I'm afraid PHP's safe_mode wasn't really designed for Windows.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: