News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cannot save Admin/Forum/Smileys/Settings changes

Started by cgallery, December 21, 2012, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgallery

Background:  I use Webmasters for hosting my business site.  A couple years ago I stuff a bunch of personal stuff in a directory on the site, and added SMF.  Recently I discovered that when googling my business name, a bunch of the stuff from the personal end of things was showing up.  Nothing embarrassing, but perhaps confusing.  I noticed Webmasters allowed me to host another domain on the same account.  So I purchased another domain for personal stuff, and moved everything over.

It was very uneventful.  Because SMF was still running on the same box, I only had to edit Settings.php to point to the new path, and then alter some paths (for attachments, for example) in the Admin section.

I thought I had everything, but when I went to post a message, the Smileys wouldn't show up.  So sure enough, I failed to update the paths for Smileys.

But I cannot save my changes.  When I try, I get the error below (it is a 403).

Anyone have any ideas how I can go about debugging this?

Also, while I'm at it, is it possible to reset the "Most Online Ever" value?  It is ridiculously high because of some activity received just one day.  It will never hit that activity level again.  I'd like it to more accurately reflect the true usage.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /smf/index.php on this server.
Apache/1.3.42 Ben-SSL/1.60 Server at www.secret.com Port 80

Chas Large

Sounds like the directory on the server does not have the correct permissions.

Check status of the root folder permission. You may need to use your hosts Control Panel - File Manager or an FTP client to change it to writeable 755.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Storman™

If the two sites are completely unrelated then running it like that is frankly not a good idea (thats my "restrained answer"). In fact it's a bonkers way of doing it.

The cost of hosting these days is rediculously cheap so please, please, please, host your forum independently or you will forever have issues.

cgallery

It was just a mod_security issue.  I should have posted back, I forgot.

I moved all three of my domains over to Bluehost, one primary and two addon domains.  The forum is running on one of the addon domains, and has been working very well.  Very happy with Bluehost.

Advertisement: