News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Manually Submitted Forum User Counts/Stats

Started by GirlinGray, January 10, 2013, 02:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GirlinGray

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this.  I've been running an online writer's workshop quite a while using Simple Machines Forum and each time someone uploads a work for review or posts a review, he or she has to go post a replay in a logs topic so at the end of the month I have a count on how many uploads and/or reviews each member in the workshop did.

It would be really great if I have some sort of application here in the forum that would just allow people to hit a button when they did a review or upload and that kept a count on that.

I've played around with polls, because that could be adjusted to a certain extent to do this, but it isn't perfect.  And it's almost impossible to hunt for anything like this online because anything that says logs or stats or anything similar will get a million hits about how to keep logs of what people are doing on the sly, instead of allowing people to log things manually in a forum.

Anyone have any advice or think this might be something you could put together?

Thanks for any responses or help.

m

That Adams Girl

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Have you try Download System mod? If you haven't, try it and see whether that come close to what you want.

GirlinGray

I'm sorry, I'm looking at the screenshots and they are all over and the description isn't telling me anything clear.  I have no idea if I could use this.  It would take a phone book to figure out how to configure it to work if I could.
That Adams Girl

In SMF, normally when someone upload something, it can also be downloaded too. That is what the Download System is all about. The uploaded thing is IMO similar to the downloaded thing except to the fact that the Download System keep records of the download not the upload. For other things like comment/review, IMO they are readily available in that mod. It will certainly keep that stats as a record. I'm however not so sure about members upload but IMO it should be easily be added if it is not there.

You should try and see each and every features it has and from there see whether your needs are fulfilled. If you got any questions or problems, the mod author should be able to help you with it.

If you ask me, IMO, what you want (not all of them of course) are readily available in that mod.

Your request IMO is not suitable for SMF features but is more suitable as a mod.

GirlinGray

Thank you for responding and for responding so quickly.

I do not think you understand what I am asking.  This could be my fault.  I have perhaps not been clear enough.  I also am having difficulty following your replies.   This appears to be a language barrier.

Maybe step aside so a native English speaker can address this?  It is difficult for me to straddle web jargon -- adding a language barrier in the middle makes it impossible.

Thanks again for your response.
That Adams Girl

emanuele

Quote from: GirlinGray on January 10, 2013, 02:03:49 AM
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for this.
No problem, reading it, seems quite specific, so maybe mod requests, coding discussions or help wanted would be a better place, let me know where I can move it.

Quote from: GirlinGray on January 10, 2013, 02:03:49 AM
I've been running an online writer's workshop quite a while using Simple Machines Forum and each time someone uploads a work for review or posts a review,
How exactly they are uploading a work or a review?
Are they using attachments and normal topics in a specific board?
Are they using some other software in conjunction with SMF?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Kindred

You could use an article mod... a blog mod... the downloads mod... aeva...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

What if the OP had new button(s) "Post Review" and "Upload Work" or whatever, in addition to the normal "New Topic"/"New Poll"? Internally, they could act just like a "New Topic" or "New Topic + Upload Attachment", but also increment some counter in the database? Would that be any easier to implement and handle?

GirlinGray

That is an interesting solution.  It would short term make things much easier to keep track of, I'm not sure how it would work with moving topics and monthly counts.  Hmm.
That Adams Girl

Quote from: GirlinGray on January 10, 2013, 05:00:46 AM
Thank you for responding and for responding so quickly.

I do not think you understand what I am asking.  This could be my fault.  I have perhaps not been clear enough.  I also am having difficulty following your replies.   This appears to be a language barrier.

Maybe step aside so a native English speaker can address this?  It is difficult for me to straddle web jargon -- adding a language barrier in the middle makes it impossible.

Thanks again for your response.

No problem. I hope others can attend to this and help out. And yes, English is not my mother tounge.

Kindred

Well,  as I detailed, there are several existing mods that might work for you...    But it would help if, instead of stating what it doesn't do, you could clearly state what yo want it to do.
(your statements so far have been somewhat vague)

Also, since your case appears to be somewhat unique, I think this is mod food, not feature stuff...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrPhil

Quote from: ahrasis on January 11, 2013, 12:36:20 AM
And yes, English is not my mother [tongue].

Could have fooled me! Your English is much better than most native speakers' (especially my fellow 'merkins). I think I've seen you stumble once or twice over subtleties and slang/jargon, but don't get discouraged over that. English is my only language, but I still try to work as hard as ESLers do to express myself clearly and use proper spelling and grammar.

Arantor

Well, there was never really enough detail given in this topic, and what detail *was* given sounded like something that shouldn't really be a core feature, so I'm going to be moving this to declined requests. If more detail becomes available, we'll see what we can do about including it in future, be it core or a mod or something.

Advertisement: