Search results and the back button

Started by dschwab9, August 07, 2003, 03:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwab9

One thing that annoys me about SE is that in IE when you click on a search result to view the thread, then try to go back to search results, you are greeted by "this page has expired".  The only way to see the search results is to click refresh, then say yes to "resubmit form data".  Then, the search re-runs, which can take a lot of time and considerable CPU resources.

I've noticed some other forums, namely Vbulletin, seem to store the search results in the database temporarily.  You get a page that says "please wait", then you get redirected to a page with a URL like http://abc.def.com/search.php?&action=showresults&searchid=1513085  When you click back in the browser, you are instantly returned to a cached copy of the searc results.

Is anything like this planned for SMF?

۞

Yes, it would be good if this would be fixed.
TTTTTT  OOOOOO MMMMMM   BBBBBB

gandolphxx

This is easily accomplished via simple cacheing of the result - it will be one of my first mods once the code is released - I have it already working on a 1.5.4 board and the members love it.

dschwab9

How do you make it cache the results on just the search results, but not message index, etc?

I realize that's probably easy to do, but IMO, it's as bug and it *should* work properly on a clean install  :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 09, 2003, 07:48:15 AM
How do you make it cache the results on just the search results, but not message index, etc?

I realize that's probably easy to do, but IMO, it's as bug and it *should* work properly on a clean install  :)

They are separate things.

No, this is not a bug.  It is a feature request.  It works more than properly on a clean install.

-[Unknown]

dschwab9

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 09, 2003, 04:22:13 PM
No, this is not a bug.  It is a feature request.  It works more than properly on a clean install.

Are you saying that getting a "this page has expired" message everytime a user clicks "back" is intended operation?  I think most people will agree with me that is shouldn't do that.

Is there any chance of having it cached in SMF?  Same thing with the make new post screen.  If a user types a long message and puts an attachment that's too big or forgets the subject, the get an error message, then, when they click back, everything they just typed is gone.

Axplosion

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 09, 2003, 05:18:53 PM
Quote from: [Unknown] on August 09, 2003, 04:22:13 PM

Are you saying that getting a "this page has expired" message everytime a user clicks "back" is intended operation?  I think most people will agree with me that is shouldn't do that.

Is there any chance of having it cached in SMF?  Same thing with the make new post screen.  If a user types a long message and puts an attachment that's too big or forgets the subject, the get an error message, then, when they click back, everything they just typed is gone.

I don't have that problem (IE6), my forms are always filled in when I submitted it and go back...

Grudge

Quote from: Axplosion on August 09, 2003, 07:17:10 PM
I don't have that problem (IE6), my forms are always filled in when I submitted it and go back...

For me I find it a 50/50 chance. I have no idea why it is random but it is!
I'm only a half geek really...

Axplosion

Quote from: Grudge on August 09, 2003, 07:18:21 PM

Can't imagine why it would be? Which browser are you using? I think it has something to do with the browser you're using, anyway, if the form is submitted correctly, the whole form is still filled in when I go back (except password-inputs), always, if I get to another page than the submit page, and then go back, the whole form is empty again...(I mean: if a JS script checks the input fields, find an error and sends you to an error page, different than the normal submit page (if there is one in this case), than the form is empty again...

Grudge

Quote from: Axplosion on August 09, 2003, 07:21:17 PM
Quote from: Grudge on August 09, 2003, 07:18:21 PM

Can't imagine why it would be? Which browser are you using? I think it has something to do with the browser you're using, anyway, if the form is submitted correctly, the whole form is still filled in when I go back (except password-inputs), always, if I get to another page than the submit page, and then go back, the whole form is empty again...(I mean: if a JS script checks the input fields, find an error and sends you to an error page, different than the normal submit page (if there is one in this case), than the form is empty again...

It's IE 6 and it REALLY is tempermental!! Some times it fills it in for me, other times it just leaves it blank OR leaves the quote I was quoting in there. It is even worst with quick reply where 90% of the time it forgets what I was writing :(
I'm only a half geek really...

Acf

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 07, 2003, 03:48:43 PM
One thing that annoys me about SE is that in IE when you click on a search result to view the thread, then try to go back to search results, you are greeted by "this page has expired".  The only way to see the search results is to click refresh, then say yes to "resubmit form data".  Then, the search re-runs, which can take a lot of time and considerable CPU resources.

I've noticed some other forums, namely Vbulletin, seem to store the search results in the database temporarily.  You get a page that says "please wait", then you get redirected to a page with a URL like http://abc.def.com/search.php?&action=showresults&searchid=1513085  When you click back in the browser, you are instantly returned to a cached copy of the searc results.

Is anything like this planned for SMF?

I never have this problem becaus i always open my searched treads in to a new window.
Sigh...

Axplosion

Quote from: Aliencowfarm on August 09, 2003, 07:23:08 PM
I never have this problem becaus i always open my searched treads in to a new window.

Smartass.... ^-^ ;)

[Unknown]

I plan to fix this, but I don't think it's a bug.  I still maintain that this is a feature request.

-[Unknown]

dschwab9

Quote from: Axplosion on August 09, 2003, 07:21:17 PM

I depends on the brower.  IE6 almost always does it.  The older versions of IE and netscape are tempermental.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.  It never happens on Safari on Mac (or at least I've never seen it).

Thanks for keeping it in mind, [unknown]  :)

gandolphxx

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 09, 2003, 07:48:15 AM

It is quite easy to do - just requires an extra step and then the member can continue to refer to the list until they do another search or the cache is expired - I will be doing it post haste as soon as code is available - there is no sense to redoing the search even if the prior post form was filled in.

Joshua Dickerson

This could be accomplished by editing the theme to add $_REQUEST['input_name'] as a value for each of the fields.

Also, I think it would be great to have the search information in the query string so people can share the links.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Advertisement: