News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Just to let you know

Started by emanuele, March 24, 2013, 08:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

Last year Spuds was considered release manager (i.e. the one responsible for handling that release) for SMF 2.1.
When Norv left, this definition lost some force and meaning.
When Spuds left, I tried to consider myself the release manager for 2.1, since I was the second one that worked more on the changes from 2.0 to 2.1 (the first was of course Spuds himself).

Well, now I don't feel I'm in the position to be in any way "responsible" for anything related to SMF 2.1 development.
For that reason I hereby leave that responsibility to anyone that wants to take it.
I would also be glad if someone can remove my permission to merge changes into SMF 2.1 repo at github.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

emanuele

To better clarify: I'm not saying I'll stop altogether working on 2.1.
What I want to say is that in the last 6 months I've been in a sort of conflictual position and I think now it's time to clear it up leaving the responsibility to keep things moving to someone else.
I will continue to do my homework as usual.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

maxg

Very Sad to hear this, One thing I'd really like to know and if I'm out of line, I'm truly sorry, What is going on and what is the future of SMF as best it can be told, of course...Is there still a Team that's will to move forward and or What/?. I someone taking charge of it it all?

Sorry but I'm getting lost here in the mix of things!

And BTW, I still can not find anything that fills the shoes of this software ( all in all) !

regards,
maxx

Colin

Thanks for the hard work, Ema.

Maxx, absolutely it is continued to be developed. Have a look at the GitHub repo to see the progress!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

maxg

Colin, Thanks and that what I wanted to hear! :):)

I'm a so happy!

regards,
Maxx

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Colin on March 24, 2013, 12:27:24 PM
Thanks for the hard work, Ema.

Maxx, absolutely it is continued to be developed. Have a look at the GitHub repo to see the progress!

Just looked and the progress is deplorable from a programing perspective. Aside for Ema's contributions over the past few weeks/months (thanks Emanuele) the rest of the so called team seems to have bailed on the project. If this is the progress you refer to then I suggest this project is doomed to fail. No wonder the poor guy wants out. He's got no support from the other lackers.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

vbgamer45

Hmm ok so now plan to look for more contributors either mod developers or anyone with a general interest and start maybe consulting dev group and review their code submissions.

What I would like to see is a 2.1 todo list. And then we can work together on just getting those items completed.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Quotestart maybe consulting dev group and review their code submissions.

There's a question for you: who's going to do that review? Given how there's historically been a lack of people reviewing mods, I don't see that happening much for mainline dev.

More importantly: if a pull request is made, and the code is good, is it going to be accepted? We already had a case in the last day or so where a new feature, one that is considered desirable, was submitted - by a team member, no less, and it hasn't been included as far as I can see. There are valid arguments for not doing so, just as there are for doing so (though, personally, the arguments for are stronger than those against)... but unless someone's going to press the big button, it doesn't really make any difference.

vbgamer45

Well just need someone to do it and approve. Worst case there is an issue that is reported in the beta testing/pre release. Too much time is spent on discussions and not enough on just getting it done. That's my feeling and the same with mods/themes review process...
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

QuoteToo much time is spent on discussions and not enough on just getting it done.

Yup.

QuoteThat's my feeling and the same with mods/themes review process...

Yup. Though I seem to remember asking people to second-check things after I'd reviewed them in case I missed anything... don't remember much of that ever happening.

ascaland

Well this is now an interesting circumstance. Thanks for the great work emanuele, it hasn't gone unnoticed.

maxg

Yes I agree,

Thanks Emanuele for all you do and did,  the updates and support you gave the community, I hope someone can pick up the ball and keep it rolling lol!

Maxx

kdmiller45

I'm new to SMF, not a developer by any means, wouldn't know where to begin, but I do like the project very nice and am developing a site (http://geekscove.com) this is very much undeveloped site, just adding modes and boards. what I'm saying sounds like everyone has kinda jumped ship on this project, is this the beginning of the end

Colin

Every project has ups and downs. Just because we lost some valuable team members doesn't mean the project is bound to die! There are always new contributors making their way onto our radar :).
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

Quote from: Colin on March 29, 2013, 11:10:43 AM
Every project has ups and downs. Just because we lost some valuable team members doesn't mean the project is bound to die! There are always new contributors making their way onto our radar :).

Really? Then where are they?

feline

Many peoples (like my person) are not wellcome on the team.
Why? I don't known it..
So the working on new releases of SMF is mostly stopped ... Sad.

Advertisement: