500 Internal Server Error after installing any mod

Started by iSondre, April 10, 2013, 03:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iSondre

Hello guys,

I have run into some problems on my website after installing YouTube BBCode.

After running it with Package Manager and giving it FTP access (to chmod) it gives me a 500 Internal Server Error, without any errors in the error logs, except it not finding 500.shtml. Yes K@, I have backup and I have tried the solution in your thread.  :laugh:

Restoring to a backup before the error does not work, deleting everything in public_html and uploading a fresh install of SMF gives the same error, while uploading the backup to a different webhost works just fine. After talking to my host, we found out our best hope would be to reinstall the whole webhotel, this worked. But after uploading the backup and setting everything up, I was going to upload SimplePortal again and again giving FTP access so it could chmod the necessary files, after hitting Install with closed eyes and crossed fingers, I got the same error again.

Does anyone know of this bug and have a solution? I have been searching around these forums for days now, trying everything from clearing the cache-folder, to reinstalling the webhotel.

Best regards,
Sondre

kat

iSondre

Thanks for the reply.

I sent the link to my host, hope they fix it.

The weird part is, this started happening after I upgraded my webhotel, since we surpassed the monthly bandwidth limit. I had 4-5 mods installed when this happened and never ran into the problem before upgrading.

The forum has been down for 3 days now and there is no way of getting it back up so our users are getting tired of waiting..

Best regards,
iSondre

kat

If it works with one host, yet not another, you have to suspect the server configuration and they seem the most obvious things to check, to start with. :)

MrPhil

There should be something somewhere in the logs telling you what is tripping the 500 error. Keep looking. If it happened after transferring servers, it's likely that files were corrupted during the transfer process (e.g., transfer in binary one way, and ASCII the next). Your description is a bit vague under what circumstances you get this error -- only certain operations, or anything in SMF? If you copied a site from one server to another, perhaps something in your .htaccess or php.ini is invalid on one of the servers. Did this only start happening after a mod install? Maybe there are blank/empty lines at the beginning or end of one or more files, due to improper editing. Read my sig > FAQs > 500 (Internal Server) Errors for a long list of things that cause 500 errors.

iSondre

The host fixed it, apparently the server didn't get enough memory, it workes after they gave me more memory!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Colin

Fantastic. Do hit that fancy marked as solved button if you would.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: