Do you get the "white screen of death" when accessing Admin or Package Installs?

Started by Kindred, April 22, 2013, 10:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

If it works its because the host lets you do it. If the host doesn't allow you to increase your memory you might as well write oompa-loompa in there for all the effect it will have  ;)

GleamPlay.com

Gleam - http://gleamplay.com
The SMF to have fun, meet new friends and play games!

Arantor

Oompa-Loompas are characters from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The point being made is that it doesn't really matter what you write, the host probably won't let you do it anyway.

DarkAvenger

Hi all,
I have tried serversfree and 000webhost and I am facing the same problems with the package manager, I want to make a forum in a free hosting server because I dont cant  have a paid server. Is the there a free web hosting server which can support my smf or its better to abandon my tries to install an SMF?

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

DarkAngel612

Quote from: DarkAvenger on August 25, 2013, 07:25:53 AM
Hi all,
I have tried serversfree and 000webhost and I am facing the same problems with the package manager, I want to make a forum in a free hosting server because I dont cant  have a paid server. Is the there a free web hosting server which can support my smf or its better to abandon my tries to install an SMF?

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Did you try creating a file in your text editor named .htaccess with just this written in it:

php_value memory_limit 64M

save it then upload it to your root folder
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Arantor

The odds are that actually won't work - the hosts in question artificially lower the limit, and then prevent you changing it.

The sad fact is that if you want a quality host you are going to have to pay for it, companies aren't going to tolerate you taking money from them (running a server is not free) indefinitely.

Other systems will have exactly the same problem, too.

DarkAvenger

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on August 25, 2013, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: DarkAvenger on August 25, 2013, 07:25:53 AM
Hi all,

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Did you try creating a file in your text editor named .htaccess with just this written in it:

php_value memory_limit 64M

save it then upload it to your root folder
I 've just tried it but it not works.

DarkAvenger

Quote from: Arantor on August 25, 2013, 11:30:56 AM
The odds are that actually won't work - the hosts in question artificially lower the limit, and then prevent you changing it.

The sad fact is that if you want a quality host you are going to have to pay for it, companies aren't going to tolerate you taking money from them (running a server is not free) indefinitely.

Other systems will have exactly the same problem, too.

With their bad marketing behaviour of these companies I will  not give them no cent due these worst policies of them.

Arantor

But you want a free host... there's no such thing as a free host! Servers cost money to run, in terms of power, bandwidth, people to look after them.

If you use a free host, you're effectively costing the company money and they can't run indefinitely unless people give them money.

Not all hosts are shady marketers (and the free hosts are even worse, actually, for that)

DarkAvenger

Yes i am understanding the cost and the other things about their cost but they must be clear with their future clients if they dont want lost them. I am very disappointed from serversfree and 000webhost because they are lying and they are hide themselves behind the marketing trick about "Free unlimited Professional Web Hosting". As they said they get their money from the paid hosting services. Another big lie. Finally I am thinging to abandon the idea to create my forum because I am very disappointed and very angry from their lies and their jokes about the SMF Script(they said please check your script may overload the server). Anyway I am thinging to stop any cooperation with these people which tell me lies.

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Arantor

In which case you'll just have to pay more money for a host that will be up front with you. Mine certainly is, but then again I'm paying $40/month for a VPS.

DarkAvenger

I will try another one web hoster 2freehosting, they said they give 128mb RAM if its true... Lets test this.

Chalky

Nobody is suggesting you pay money to hosts who lie.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Have a look in our dedicated paid hosting board for good paid hosts that won't rip you off  :)

DarkAvenger

Quote from: ChalkCat on August 25, 2013, 03:22:21 PM
Nobody is suggesting you pay money to hosts who lie.  Quite the opposite in fact.  Have a look in our dedicated paid hosting board for good paid hosts that won't rip you off  :)
Hi,
Look at this time of my life I am not able to pay for a domain and for that I am looking for a free server with less limitations furthermore SMF is a very light forum with no large volume of files, hooks, etc and it has very easy installation and for this reason I prefer it.

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Arantor

To be frank, you are wasting your time. Any free host is going to shut you down when you get even modestly busy, due to resource usage.

DarkAvenger

Quote from: Arantor on August 25, 2013, 03:50:58 PM
To be frank, you are wasting your time. Any free host is going to shut you down when you get even modestly busy, due to resource usage.
I have time to waste no problem, With SMF? Its a very small Forum Script. How many resources can get smf from the free server? The 32Mb of RAM which they are offers(Wow what a big quantity of RAM)? :P
If am I pay a lot of money for hosting Ι am appropriate from hoster to give me a better quality script not free scripts.
I am seriously thinking to return to forumotion platform if my last hoster fails to host SMF, its better than these worst companies and its free. I will never pay them for their cheat marketing tricks(RAM limit Exceeded,IP limit exceeded etc).

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Arantor

With ANY script, doesn't matter. All of them are going to hit the same problem sooner or later.

QuoteIf am I pay a lot of money for hosting Ι am appropriate from hoster to give me a better quality script not free scripts.

Nonsense.

QuoteI will never pay them for their cheat marketing tricks(RAM limit Exceeded,IP limit exceeded etc).

And you're happy to trust your site to a free host who is even worse about lying to you?

TheListener

Whichever forum package you use won't make any difference to the host.

DarkAvenger

Quote from: Arantor on August 25, 2013, 04:17:34 PM
With ANY script, doesn't matter. All of them are going to hit the same problem sooner or later.

QuoteIf am I pay a lot of money for hosting Ι am appropriate from hoster to give me a better quality script not free scripts.

Nonsense.

QuoteI will never pay them for their cheat marketing tricks(RAM limit Exceeded,IP limit exceeded etc).

And you're happy to trust your site to a free host who is even worse about lying to you?
No I am not trust them anymore I have remove my domains and my accounts from them. I will never trust them.
Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

DarkAvenger

Quote from: Grumpy Old Sod on August 25, 2013, 04:18:03 PM
Whichever forum package you use won't make any difference to the host.
I am not agree with you there are forum script packages which requires at least 128 MB RAM. Its not the same these scripts spents more resources than smf.

Best Regards,
Dark-Avenger

Advertisement: