News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

EU Cookie

Started by nikan, May 19, 2013, 02:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feline

Quote from: lurkalot on June 09, 2013, 08:26:30 AM
feline, does your notification disappear permanently after clicking the accept button?  If so, what mod are you using?  This mod is driving my members away atm..
If you have accepte the ECL OptIn it's valid for 30 days and you can navigate around the entire Site.
And what we use in not a standalone mod, it's implemeted in our Portal software.

lurkalot

Thanks, yes I just noticed that in your signature, and edited my last post accordingly. Shame this mod doesn't work in a similar way, the bloomin thing pops up on your screen every time you visit the site. and in between page loads sometimes.  ???

lurkalot

I'm running this mod, and not sure how accurate this test is, but I ran my site through  http://sitebeam.net/tests/featured-tests/cookie-law-report and it failed miserably.  Got a score of 0 out of 10

dimspace

Quote from: lurkalot on May 27, 2013, 03:50:11 AM
Any way of hiding this permanently for registered members, once they've clicked the accept button? 

It's a great mod, but I can see my members getting annoyed with it.

the usual way of remembering that users have accepted the cookie prompt, is by um.. a cookie.. :D

nikan

lurkalot nobody forces you to use this mod. If you don't like it or it doesn't do what you expected to do, find another way.

lurkalot

Quote from: nikan on June 10, 2013, 01:52:27 AM
@Johann B
Read carefully the Introduction of my mod and stop bumbing this topic.

@lurkalot
Nobody forces you to use this mod. If you don't like it or it dosnt do what you expected to do, find another way.

@nikan 
I could have sworn I clicked the "Support and comments" link for your mod, but it seems you don't like comments, or give support. 

I do like the mod, and merely asked if there was a way to hide the cookie notice for logged in members permanently after they click accept. I see no reason why they should keep seeing it, that's all.

nikan

lurkalot i already answer on this and also answered by dimspace.
Quote from: dimspace on June 09, 2013, 06:45:43 PM
Any way of hiding this permanently for registered members, once they've clicked the accept button? 

the usual way of remembering that users have accepted the cookie prompt, is by um.. a cookie.. :D
I'll answer again if this can help.
The state of accepting is stored in a cookie, so if any of your members has cookies disabled in their browser they will see the message again. Sorry if you felt unsupported.

lurkalot

Quote from: nikan on June 10, 2013, 10:01:54 AM
Seems to me that you are way of the track Johann B. You forget that my mod is based on free time work and it's not a product for sale.-

lurkalot i already answer on this and also answered by dimspace.
Quote from: dimspace on June 09, 2013, 06:45:43 PM

I'll answer again if this can help.
The state of accepting is stored in a cookie, so if any of your members has cookies disabled in their browser they will see the message again. Sorry if you felt unsupported.

Thanks, and sorry for sounding off.

OK, maybe I don't understand how this cookie stuff works.  But I manually added a site address to the "Per site privacy" and set it to allow cookies from this site, and it still pops up on the screen each session.  Also used this http://www.whatarecookies.com/cookietest.asp and it says cookies are enabled in my browser.

kat

Can we, please, refrain from arguing about the so-called legality of what this mod does?

I've notified the customisers about this and they'll take a look at it. If they feel it's required, they'll make some comments. Until then, can we cool it off, here, please?

Colin

SM, SMF, and the mod author cannot be held legally responsible for a mod's use, nor its legality. With this, particular mod, we would like to recommend that the mod's author adds a warning about the limits of its functionality and legality.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

pugsx

is there a way of making this show on other pages on the site aswell?

PugsX

Colin

It is an SMF mod so it doesn't by default extend past the SMF pages. I suppose you could take the code and place it manually on other pages of your site.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

LadyAngel

When using a custom theme, the notification doesn't go when the 'ok' button is clicked.

nikan

Did you install the mod on your custom theme?
Also make sure that you clear the cache of smf.

LadyAngel

Thank you, yes to both. :) It works on the default theme, just not on any custom ones, though it still shows.

nikan

Maybe your custom theme loads the jquery library and conflicts with the mod function.

LadyAngel

Em...ok...how to fix that?

nikan

Try changing the $ to jQuery

signaleleven

Hey Nikan,

What if I want to submit changes to the mod?
Your mod displays the banner, then checks the cookie, and if the cookie is set it hides the banner.

I reversed that logic. The banner is hidden, if the cookie is unset then it is shown. Without that change, some users saw the banner "flash" briefly before being hidden.

Do you have a repository where I can submit the changes?

Cheers
Mike

nikan

You can post your changes here.
I'll be happy to add any change that will make the mod more efficient.

Advertisement: