Looking for a @username tag mod

Started by Sethv2, May 23, 2013, 01:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethv2

Details:
I'm looking for a mod that will let me tag users with a @username code in the body of a post. This would send some sort of alert to the person mentioned to let them know to check it. It would make the board a bit more proactive in getting people to check it rather than having them check everything often. It would be great if a field came up similar to the url button and that it would start to auto fill the user name in like the PM function does. I would happily pay for this.

Version:
I'm using 2.0.4

Permissions
I'm not too picky about who can do this, but it would be nice to restrict this based on member group.

hcfwesker

The site is down, but SMF Mention does this.  And I think the MOD only costs around $8

If the site comes back up, this is the link for it   http://www.monotiz.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0

Arantor

So what kind of alert does it send? SMF doesn't have an alerting system like XenForo does... does it send a PM?

hcfwesker

I'm assuming he/she means notification, like an email or PM

Ricky.

Quote from: Arantor on May 23, 2013, 11:52:28 PM
So what kind of alert does it send? SMF doesn't have an alerting system like XenForo does... does it send a PM?
May be its like FB thing.. you mention @name or like #tag of twitter, you get notified .. SMF can send PM or can have some system to send notification .

Sethv2

Yes, I'm thinking it would work much like Twitter. I've searched for this mod and found many requests for something similar. I ess hoping after all these years, there was a mood out there.

nbcba

I've been looking all morning for a mod like this too.  Anybody use SMF Mention?  I'd be willing to pay $8 for this for sure.

live627

@hcfwesker could you describe #SMF Mentions for me please? What features does it add?

hcfwesker

From the readme text included with the MOD.  Though, all links are dead since the site is down.

QuoteSMF Mention
PRO Version
Developed by: MonoTiz
Copyright: MonoTiz.com

Thank you for choosing this MOD!
Intro
Features
Tutorial
Try it!
Download
Languages
Compatibility
Theme Compatibility
Files Affected
Upgrade
Terms of Service

Intro

SMF Mention allows you to tag or mention members into the post. SMF Mention is fully integrated into SMF. Continuing with the installation, you acknowledge that you have read and approved this document and the terms of service.
This MOD is tested only for SMF without any other MOD installed and with default Theme. If you receive a warning or error during installation, stop the installation.
Use the MOD at your own risk and AS IS. The author does not assume any responsibility for any problems or loss of data.
There are no refunds for malfunction.
The author not assicure tecnical assistence.

Features

• Create a system to tag members into the post.
  • Autocomplete member name.
  • Bubble tag notification.
  • View tagged post in your profile.
  • Email notification.

Tutorial

Read this topic!

Try It!

Before download this MOD, I reccomend to try it by the SMF Mention Test MOD attached to this post. This test MOD simply tests your SMF installation. You have to install this test MOD by Package Manager and looking for warnings and errors. Next, you must unistall this test MOD and install SMF Mention!.

Download

Read this topic!

Languages

SMF Mention is available in this language (included the utf8 versions):

• English
  • Italian
This MOD makes changes in the following language files:

• Modifications.english.php
  • Modifications.italian.php
The other language files is:

• SMFMention.english.php
  • SMFMention.italian.php

Compatibility

More details are available on the page of the mod.

Theme Compatibility

This MOD works only with default theme and affects the following theme files:

• index.template.php
  • Post.template.php
  • Display.template.php
  • Profile.template.php

Files Affected

./Sources/RemoveTopic.php
./Sources/Profile.php
./Sources/SMFMention.php
./Sources/Recent.php
./Sources/Subs-Members.php
./Sources/Post.php
./Sources/Admin.php
./Sources/Profile-View.php
./Sources/Load.php
./Sources/Display.php
./Sources/Subs-Post.php
./Sources/Profile-Modify.php
./Themes/default/Display.template.php
./Themes/default/Profile.template.php
./Themes/default/css/index.css
./Themes/default/languages/SMFMention.english-utf8.php
./Themes/default/languages/SMFMention.italian.php
./Themes/default/languages/SMFMention.italian-utf8.php
./Themes/default/languages/SMFMention.english.php
./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
./Themes/default/Post.template.php
./Themes/default/SMFMention.template.php
./index.php

Upgrade

• Backup your data
  • Uninstall the older versions.
  • Install the new version.

Terms of Service

• This package is provided as is and without any warranty.
  • All copyright notices in source files or otherwise generated shall remain intact without modification. The name of the package and links to associated websites must remain in clear view for all users.
  • Distribution of this package is not allowed
  • Use the MOD at your own risk. The author does not assume any responsibility for any problems or loss of data.

BigMike

hcfwesker- This sounds really great but his site is still down. Does anyone know what happened to MonoTiz?

Also, it would be great if this was integrated with nibogo's Alert system, http://www.smfpacks.com/alertmod, which already has a nice Facebook style popup notifier/alert at forum top.

BigMike

live627

I know of no mod developer who has a copy of SMF Alerts Pro who can integrate such a thing. Only Nibogo can, but he needs a bribe I think.

Arantor

I know one but I doubt he'd be willing to do it.

hcfwesker

Actually, lol ...

Though, strangely, others who tried the edits never could get it to work.  It only worked for my site.  Of course, noone supplied files for me to check for code discrepencies between my files and theirs. 

Gluz

I was searching for this for a long time, for a big site that  is nearly impossible to read every thread, so it will be a great add-on be able to "summon" an interested or expert of one theme to the thread.

Sethv2

I'm still very interested in a mod like this. Can you share where that came from hcfwesker? Is that for SMF 2.0?

hcfwesker

Quote from: live627 on October 17, 2013, 02:45:04 AM
http://livemods.net/index.php?action=mods#112

Nice custom MODs.  I'll probably get that Anonymous Poster MOD soon.  That Annoy member MOD for admins looks priceless lol!

Arantor

Note there is a free Annoy User mod that just doesn't have the IP bit as well...

BigMike

Quote from: hcfwesker on October 15, 2013, 02:49:37 PM

WOW This is amazing!! I have been a "Pro" customer of Nbingo for about a year now so Nibogo has my bribe in hand :D

BTW Nibogo has some potentially GREAT news for Alert Pro customers. I posted about this on his latest Alerts Pro topic and he mentioned he has already done some work on this concept and might get around to implementing it!! :D :) :D

BigMike

Sethv2

Interesting, I'm still looking for this. I might just get this!

BigMike

Quote from: Nibogo on April 07, 2014, 04:38:46 PM
I've released one tagging mod with notifications: http://www.smfpacks.com/mentionsmod
Nibogo,

Looks AWESOME. A few questions...

1. Does the at symbol have to be used (it appears to be the trigger for the system but for example this isn't necessary with Facebook),

2. If so, is it automatically removed from the display of the submitted post? (I didn't see any submitted post example pictures on your website and I think it would look odd and tacky to have a bunch of @ signs all over the place), and

3. Does the person's username used as a "mention" get converted to a URL to the person's profile once the post is submitted (again as with Facebook)?

Thanks!!
BigMike

EDIT:
Quote from: BigMike on April 08, 2014, 07:49:59 PM
1. Does the at symbol have to be used (it appears to be the trigger for the system but for example this isn't necessary with Facebook),
Thought of something, if this is a requirement, then you could instead base the requirement on a minimum word length before the mention system kicks in -- but this would exclude anyone with a really short username...

hcfwesker

Quote from: Nibogo on April 09, 2014, 12:21:03 AM
1. Not at the moment, but it's actually a good idea.

The only issue I see with that is it should be optional for admins to chose, if its done to the mod.  Some people just like to list member names in posts without actually having them get mention notifications etc.

emicd

some mod like this but free? its not because i dont want to pay, its becasuse its very difficult to pay in uss from my county.. just a politics desicion. And by the way its to use in a forum from a non profit organiation

live627

emicd

waiting!!!!!!!!!!! let me know please  :)

emicd

Advertisement: