News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

M$ Username and Password Active Directory Intergration?

Started by gogotha, June 13, 2013, 01:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogotha

Not sure if even possible, but is there a mod that will log use in with MS Active Directory username and password authentication? We have several systems that our clients use and making users in 3 systems is a pain in the butt.

VPN- Handled by AD
Geovision Authentication Server- Handled by AD
and SMF Forums, eyeconsolutions.com/forum- [nofollow] ? Private Forum

If they could log into all 3 systems that are controlled by Active directory this would make user creation simpler. Plus, keeping track of employees would be easier; user control, disable----> all systems.

Just curios :o

PS, I like your Simple Machines Forum for the ease of use for our clients and so far at 11151 post, no issues. Have looked and tested others and SMF is by far the best, in my opinion.
This world is our Host, we are the virus... consume or be consumed.

ziycon

Hi gogotha, welcome to the site.

There is a very old mod for this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=213 and it's no longer supported so use at your own risk.

Also just noticed your website is all over the place, it can't find the style.css file. ;)

Kindred

I can guarantee that mod will not work with 1.1.x or 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gogotha

Thanks, I guess I will continue onward! If your referring to the .org. Yes it is trashed, my website is actually eyeconprotectionsolutions com
This world is our Host, we are the virus... consume or be consumed.

ziycon

If you hold on a bit there might be something for you, i've written a mod to support ldap auth, irs finished but going through approval. I'll let you know how it geys on.

eldsky

Any news on this? This is also something we need badly.

Matthew K.

It's still in the approval queue right now, shouldn't be too much longer.

jfederer

I notice you said "not much longer" ... 

Has it been approved?

Arantor

I believe it was removed from the queue by its author.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

jfederer

Thank you for the quick response!

So am I correct that there is currently no supported way to authenticate against active directory for usernames/passwords with SMF?

Arantor

jfederer

Thanks for the honest answer.

I guess that means we'll roll with a different forum system.  Oh well, plenty of good extensible systems out there.

Arantor

Unfortunately it's not that we can't ... it's that no-one with the skills has had inclination to build it. And it certainly isn't that SMF isn't extensible.

It's been asked for a handful of times that I can remember, and the people who can build it don't need or want it. Code, no matter how trivial, does not just spring out of thin air, especially from volunteers who do have more pressing needs to attend to, unfortunately.

If there were more demand I could see myself building it (and charging a modest amount for the sale/support)

jfederer

I fully understand -- I do most of my coding on 'volunteer' side as well.  ...And sensibility is a reason I wanted to use SMF in the first place.

However, if it can't, it can't.  No worries; it's still a great product (which I use on personal forums I run)... it just doesn't meet this particular need for our enterprise.

Advertisement: