Next steps after installing 1.05?

Started by RoarinRow, September 23, 2005, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoarinRow

I have successfully installed 1.5 and accessed the MySQL database and able to see all my settings and such.

Now, where I do I go to see the message board or main page itself?  Do I need a separate s/w for that?

My default is set to www.homepage.com/index.html

Confused newbie,
RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

I can't find any forum? Did you install it in a directory? How exactly did you install it?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

RoarinRow

Quote from: xenovanis on September 23, 2005, 12:28:08 PM
I can't find any forum? Did you install it in a directory? How exactly did you install it?

i installed it here - http://www.avalanchestyle.com/forum/

When I go to this link I can log on to see the databases and do other configuration.  I installed the 1.05 in this 'forum' directory using Yahoo! Site Builder.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

Are you sure? You should be able to call it with index.php, but that doesn't seem to work. Do you have ftp access so you can check whether there are any smf-files in that directory?

RoarinRow

Quote from: xenovanis on September 23, 2005, 12:58:58 PM
Are you sure? You should be able to call it with index.php, but that doesn't seem to work. Do you have ftp access so you can check whether there are any smf-files in that directory?

Looks like I need to download another zip file smf_1-0-5_upgrade.zip.  What directory should I install these files to?

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

You could create a directory community or smf. If you only want to install a forum and no mainsite, you can also install it in the root.

RoarinRow

Quote from: xenovanis on September 23, 2005, 01:30:21 PM
You could create a directory community or smf. If you only want to install a forum and no mainsite, you can also install it in the root.

Cool, thanks!  You've been a great help. 

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

RoarinRow

Quote from: RoarinRow on September 23, 2005, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on September 23, 2005, 01:30:21 PM

Cool, thanks!  You've been a great help. 

That didn't seem to work.  I create this directory - http://www.avalanchestyle.com/forum/community/ and it turns out blank.  I noticed that the subfolder names under Community are the same ones I have under Forum directory.

Is there a specific zip file/package I need to install other than the SMF 1.05 Install.zip?

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

JayBachatero

You named it wrong is phpinfo.php. .php extension at the end.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

RoarinRow

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

I'm not sure what to tell you.. You may want to try to reupload the files again, maybe something went wrong during upload. There were no errors during the installation?

RoarinRow

Quote from: xenovanis on September 23, 2005, 03:40:49 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you.. You may want to try to reupload the files again, maybe something went wrong during upload. There were no errors during the installation?

The instructions were not too clear.  Is there a recommended path/directory for the 1.05 version files.  I basically extracted the zip file and copied the same directory structure on my site.  The main folder is 'forum' and everything is under that folder.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

Yes, that should work. All you need to do is keep the structure of the folders and files, but it doesn't matter to what location you upload the files. This could be a directory forum. smf or community, just as it could be the root.

RoarinRow

I reinstalled everything and got past the 'can't connect to db error'.  When I go to http://www.avalanchestyle.com/forum/index.php I only get to the php MyAdmin home page.

Through Yahoo! Web Hosting I see that I have a smf database.  Is there anything I need to do there?

What else do I need to see the main page of my forum site?  I installed the files and directories from this zip file - smf_1-0-5_install.zip (July 13, 2005).  Anything else I need to install?

From my FTP program I see new subfolders under 'forum' e.g. libraries, lang, css.

Here's this link if it will help - http://www.avalanchestyle.com/phpinfo.php

Thanks in advance.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xenovanis

Would you be willing to give me ftp-access so I can look around in your fileserver? Just send me a PM.

RoarinRow

Quote from: xenovanis on September 25, 2005, 06:12:40 AM
Would you be willing to give me ftp-access so I can look around in your fileserver? Just send me a PM.

Thanks I PM'd you.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Advertisement: