News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unable to load template errors

Started by Elora, September 23, 2005, 01:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elora

Aloha;

I just installed SMF 1.1 RC1.

I am having the following problems:

1) There is no edit news link in my admin panel
2) Package manager when I click on apply mod gives me the following: Unable to load the 'ftp_required' template.
3) Personal message will not load - the following message is reported - Unable to load the 'pm_above' template.
4) In the Forum Profile Information the option for adding Avatars or changing them is missing.

ideas? Theme related? I can't even find ftp_required template in my directory...

thank you.

xenovanis

Upload the /Themes directory and all it's file again to overwrite the existing ones. You may even consider using another ftp-client, as it looks like something went wrong during upload.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Elora

Hmm - I reuploaded the entire package and even switched ftp clients... still having the same problems.

What is interesting to me is the upgrade said it executed properly. I wonder if the custom theme I have is interfering? Although I still do not see ftp_required in any directory.

xenovanis

Ah, you are using a custom theme. Does this also happen in the default theme?

You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50411.0
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Elora

I think I get the stupid award for the day and possibly screwed up my forum past the point of no return.

I upgraded THIS forum without upgrading FROM the beta first. I was running 1.05 on this forum and tried to upgrade it ....

I am not sure what I should do now.

redone

xenovanis

You should be fine upgrading from 1.0.5 to 1.1 RC1. Your problem is, as I understand correctly, that you are using a custom theme that is not compatible with 1.1 RC1, so you should make some change to make it work.

redone

Start your upgrade and run in the default theme before you test out the custom theme. Like xenovanis said you will need to make changes to your other theme.

;)

Elora

Okay -

Yes... You are right, as I try to edit the index file - I am getting all kinds of template errors.

I think I will have to use a default theme and then reconstruct the old theme afterwards. Many of the search and replace code pieces are not even listed in the files for the theme I am running.

Elora

Well after working all morning on this I am still no closer to an answer. The theme when changed to default does exactly the same things as described above.

None of the functions that were missing appear. :( Very frustrating.

Elora

Is ftp_required  an actual file?

No one can send pms on my site either

Eva

I am having exactly the same problem....

And I am using the default theme for my Forum...
I re-uploaded the files via FTP-Surfer but no luck...

Any ideas?

redone

As posted above some of your template files must be missing. I am not fammilar with the ftp programs mentioned above and quite a few are prone to missing files of when uploading.

Try this one http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

~redone

Oldiesmann

ftp_required is a sub-template of the Packages template. I would definitely recommend using FileZilla, as it will ask you what to do when you try to upload a file that already exists on the server ("Overwrite" will be selected by default, then check the box next to "Always perform the selected action" and click "OK").
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Eva

I finally solved the mystery....  ::)

Maybe someone else faces this same problem so I'll just tell you the mistake...

I copied all my real forum's files in another location in order to create a test forum and try the upgrade there first. I used a different database so that nothing gets mixed up...

Even though I changed the Settings.php in order to point at the new, correct location I didn't change the settings for the template through the theme administration page.
Thus the forum was using the correct links but the template was loading from the wrong files...

I hope this will help someone else with the same problem...  :)

redone

That is useful information for everyone. Let me add that using repar_paths.php would of fixed the paths problem too.

Thanks for the feedback.

~redone

Advertisement: