News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

I'm stumped: Errors when trying to Set Smiley Order

Started by GL700Wing, June 25, 2013, 09:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GL700Wing

I've got a couple of test SMF 2.0.4 forums I've been playing with and they're hosted on different servers.  One forum has no mods installed and the other has a few mods installed.

I've successfully uploaded some custom Smileys but whenever I use the Set Smiley Order function on either forum to change their position I receive an error message when I click the location to which I want the smiley moved.

On one forum I get the following error message:
Error 403: You are not allowed to view this site.

And on the other forum I get the following error message:
FORBIDDEN:  You don't have permission to access /forum/index.php on this server.

(I also have my production SMF 1.1.18 forum hosted on the same server as this forum and receive the same error message (Error 403: You are not allowed to view this site.) when I use Set Smiley Order - every other aspect of this forum works perfectly.)

I've checked the directory and file permissions on both servers (755 for directories, 644 for files).  I confirmed that .htaccecss on both servers contains the mod_security stuff (I've even tried using a .htaccess file that *only* contains the mod_security stuff).  I've also run repair_settings.php (no settings were changed).  The only errors in the server error log are similar to the following: "File does not exist: /home/website/public_html/403.shtml, referer: http://www.website.id.au/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=smileys;sa=setorder;move=16"

I would have thought that changing the Smiley order would only update a value in the database - I don't understand and can't work out why I am receiving either of these errors ...  :(
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GL700Wing

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 25, 2013, 10:02:42 AM
Sounds like a mod_security error
I've already checked (and double-checked) the mod_security stuff (I actually implemented it years ago) and my forums load and I don't get any errors saying mod_security is not allowed.

Kindred

There is no error message....

mod_security is the stupidest thing (and poorly named, even) that hosts think to implement.
It won't usually stop your forum from working, but it will crop up with some odd behavior from time to time
(like, one example, forbidding a post referencing Middlesex and Essex counties... because of those last three letters)

So. Tell your host to disable mod_security.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GL700Wing

Thanks folks - took a bit of effort to convince my hosting providers to allow me to disable mod_security filtering but once they did everything started working as expected.

Thanks again!!

Shambles

Splendid news.

Quote from: GL700Wing
I've already checked (and double-checked) the mod_security stuff ...
Just wondering what it was that you (double-) checked.

GL700Wing

I double-checked that I had the mod_security stuff in .htaccess but that didn't help because I was not allowed to disable those rules (I changed hosting companies a couple of years ago and I obviously hadn't used the 'Set Smiley Order' function since then - I needed to get the current hosting company to allow me to disable the rules).

Advertisement: