The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Started by psycy21, July 02, 2013, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psycy21

So I have been running a forum using hxxp:000webhost.com [nonactive] for a week and then it stopped working and gave me an error saying SMF couldn't find the database. I'm not a code junky so i never touched any of the .php files or any other file for that matter other than the initial upload that created the website. [which again was working for a full week before failing]. The service at hxxp:000webhost.com [nonactive] told me to check the settings file to make sure that it was using the same information as they provided for the SQL database. When I opened up that Settings.php there was no information where my server information was. So i put the SQL info back in and tried to use the website. And it worked! So i thought... SMF pulled up my forums log in page but any links clicked or when you try to log in brings me to the browsers connection has timed out window.

go to hxxp:forum.elysiumlarp.com [nonactive] to see that the log in page is functional and then if you click something it should show you the "connection was reset" error.

Are there more .php files that i need to put the SQL info back into? if so where would they be located?

Thanks in advance!

Storman™

Something looks to be amiss with your paths, try running repair_settings.php :

What is repair_settings.php

See how you get on with that first  ;)

Kindred

yep...   you hvae apparently set your forum to use 127.0.0.1/smf as your url.
That is a local only connection (localhost) so that will never, ever work for anyone coming in form the internet.

Also, you said to use forum.elysiumlarp.com
However, that redirects to elysiumlarp.comze.com

You need to pick an address and use JUST THAT ADDRESS.

side note:
You are a Mass based LARP, but I could not find a single note on the ACTUAL location of your events other than "towns near Hudson"
You have to REQUEST a rulebook? really?
Rules for games should be listed on the website.
I've been playing/running LARPS and forums for 20+ years now. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

psycy21

So i tried to set the forum URL to hxxp:elysiumlarp.comze.com [nonactive] as the repair recomended and now im getting this error message.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/a5294806/public_html/Settings.php on line 51

Kindred

how did you set the forum url?  were you using the repair_settings tool or did you try to edit Settings.php directly?

Also, is the PATH set correctly ads well as the URL?

and oh, yikes...   I just noticed that you are using a free account on 000webhost. You are going to run into many many many issues with that host and will not receive any decent support (even people with paid accounts on that host have issues)
Quite honestly, you get what you pay for (to a point) with web hosting.
Anything less than $5-$7 a month is likely to be an oversleler and will cause you issues if/when your site becomes popular.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

psycy21

Quote from: Kindred on July 02, 2013, 02:28:52 PM

side note:
You are a Mass based LARP, but I could not find a single note on the ACTUAL location of your events other than "towns near Hudson"
You have to REQUEST a rulebook? really?
Rules for games should be listed on the website.
I've been playing/running LARPS and forums for 20+ years now. :)

The reason for this is that we are an entirely Free game and the actual location varies and normally does not have a physical address because it isn't at a camp but at some public space or woods in the area of Hudson mass and surrounding towns.

I have people request a rulebook so i can see how many people are interested in joining and that way i can have emails and personally answer questions for those who are actually interested. It actually helps to sort out those who will put a serious effort into the game and those who wont. If your not willing to fill out a 1 minute form then we don't want you because we are running a community, not a business, and essentially not a game.

We are not like other LARP's that have existed and do exist. Sorry if the way I run my game is "offensive" to you because its not traditional, but i honestly don't like the traditional style of LARP's that exist currently.

Also unlike most larp forums i will require that the players be registered by me [the admin] and names follow a specific system that way non members of the game dont have access to the forum. Which is also not what regular games do. Sorry but it makes it easier to moderate and make the game feel more like a members only community, which my players have requested.

Anyways back to trying to solve this problem with me!

Illori

Quote from: psycy21 on July 02, 2013, 02:37:16 PM
So i tried to set the forum URL to http://elysiumlarp.comze.com as the repair recomended and now im getting this error message.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/a5294806/public_html/Settings.php on line 51

this is a bug in the current version, you will need to manually edit the file to fix the error, or post the file for us without your connection information in it [username and password]

psycy21

<?php

/**
 * Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
 * @package SMF
 * @author Simple Machines http://www.simplemachines.org
 * @copyright 2011 Simple Machines
 * @license http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php BSD
 * @version 2.0
 */

########## Maintenance ##########
# Note: If $maintenance is set to 2, the forum will be unusable!  Change it to 0 to fix it.
$maintenance '0'; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle 'Maintenance Mode'; # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage 'Okay faithful users...we\'re attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we\'re back!'; # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname 'My Community'; # The name of your forum.
$language 'english'; # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl 'http://elysiumlarp.comze.com/index.php'; # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email '[email protected]'; # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)
$cookiename 'SMFCookie11'; # Name of the cookie to set for authentication.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type 'mysql';
$db_server ' ';
$db_name ' ';
$db_user ' ';
$db_passwd ' ';
$ssi_db_user '';
$ssi_db_passwd '';
$db_prefix 'smf_';
$db_persist '0';
$db_error_send 1;

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir '/home/a5294806/public_html'; # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir '/home/a5294806/public_html/Sources'; # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir dirname(__FILE__) . '/cache'; # Path to the cache directory.

########## Error-Catching ##########
# Note: You shouldn't touch these settings.
$db_last_error 0;

header('Location: http' . (!empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && strtolower($_SERVER['HTTPS']) == 'on' 's' '') . '://' . (empty($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) ? $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] . (empty($_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']) || $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT'] == '80' '' ':' $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']) : $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) . (strtr(dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '\\''/') == '/' '' strtr(dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '\\''/')) . '/install.php'); exit;

}

# Make sure the paths are correct... at least try to fix them.
if (!file_exists($boarddir) && file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/agreement.txt'))
$boarddir dirname(__FILE__);
if (!
file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir '/Sources'))
$sourcedir $boarddir '/Sources';
if (!
file_exists($cachedir) && file_exists($boarddir '/cache'))
$cachedir $boarddir '/cache';

?>

I removed the database info but that is the source.php that is on the site. I have never manually edited the file so this is what the install gave me.

Illori

try this version

<?php

/**
 * Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
 * @package SMF
 * @author Simple Machines http://www.simplemachines.org [nonactive]
 * @copyright 2011 Simple Machines
 * @license http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php BSD
 * @version 2.0
 */

########## Maintenance ##########
# Note: If $maintenance is set to 2, the forum will be unusable!  Change it to 0 to fix it.
$maintenance '0';      # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle 'Maintenance Mode';      # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage 'Okay faithful users...we\'re attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we\'re back!';      # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.

########## Forum Info ##########
$mbname 'My Community';      # The name of your forum.
$language 'english';      # The default language file set for the forum.
$boardurl 'http://elysiumlarp.comze.com/index.php'; [nonactive]      # URL to your forum's folder. (without the trailing /!)
$webmaster_email '[email protected]';      # Email address to send emails from. (like [email protected].)
$cookiename 'SMFCookie11';      # Name of the cookie to set for authentication.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type 'mysql';
$db_server ' ';
$db_name ' ';
$db_user ' ';
$db_passwd ' ';
$ssi_db_user '';
$ssi_db_passwd '';
$db_prefix 'smf_';
$db_persist '0';
$db_error_send 1;

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.
$boarddir '/home/a5294806/public_html';      # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
$sourcedir '/home/a5294806/public_html/Sources';      # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir dirname(__FILE__) . '/cache';      # Path to the cache directory.

########## Error-Catching ##########
# Note: You shouldn't touch these settings.
$db_last_error 0;

# Make sure the paths are correct... at least try to fix them.
if (!file_exists($boarddir) && file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/agreement.txt'))

$boarddir dirname(__FILE__);
if (!
file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir '/Sources'))

$sourcedir $boarddir '/Sources';
if (!
file_exists($cachedir) && file_exists($boarddir '/cache'))

$cachedir $boarddir '/cache';

?>

psycy21

Kindred

oh, what you are doing is not "offensive" in any way....

I don't care if you are in it to make money or not...   after all, I have run my LARPs at a loss for years. :)
and I would not say that there is any "traditional" way to run LARPs either...
So, saying that you don't like the "traditional" style is somewhat humorous. WHAT traditional style?

I was making some comments based on my experience in both fields.
... and I am involved with people running LARPs (both boffer and theatre style games) across the country, including a yearly, all LARP convention.

What I commented was true of ANY group.
If you want people to find you, you should tell them WHERE to find you (especially where you hold your events). I understand that your locations may change...  still, listing where you held previous events and where the next one is scheduled to be is a good plan. :)
as for the rules...   Actually, I think you are way off base. Being able to skim through the rules online is a HUGE part of deciding whether its worth spending any time or effort on the game. Having to fill out a form to get them...   that part actually did seem obnoxious to me.
I understand your explanation, I just disagree with your reasoning there. :)

I'll also say that I think you are taking the wrong approach in making your entire forum "hidden". Making certain areas for "players only" is cool... most forums that I know do that. Making the entire thing hidden though, basically says to anyone who comes across your site "We don't like outsiders - and if you're not already registered, you are an outsider". I would recommend that you open a few boards as "public view"
again... how are people supposed to find out if they are even the slightest bit interested in your game if you make everything hidden until the are "accepted"?

Glad you got the site working.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: