News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Get to Know The Team: Irisado

Started by Irisado, July 16, 2013, 06:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

It's a variant of Catalan, so I suspect that it's spelt Pollença.

It doesn't sound like the sort of place that I want to go to.  I think that you're being generous calling it tacky.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

kat

Oh, indeed. Yeah, it was here that we stayed.

http://www.puertopollensa.com

Looks like a few hundred big hotels have gone up, since I was there.

I bet even Puerto de Soller's become a ******hole concrete jungle, now.

Last holiday I had was here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tortola&client=opera&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Got offered a job, there, too. Unfortunately, it never happened, for reasons that I won't bore you with, coz they're just TOO silly...

live627

Irisado

As in the United States?  Nope.  Nor anywhere else that side of the Atlantic either, although I have been invited to Chile.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

kat

I went there, once.

Bloody Yanks, everywhere, there were! ;)

Arantor

That's like going to Spain and complaining that everyone's foreign :P

The biggest surprise I had in America was apparently how softly spoken I am, ahaha

* Arantor finds the team blog interesting, actually, nice to be able to get to know the people we talk to a bit better than just what we see in regular posts :)

kat

Funny thing, that. The men hated my accent. But, the women absolutely adored it! Especially when I accentuated the Cockney... ;)

I pulled. :)

A few times. :) :) :)

Actually saying that I could murder a fag caused some hilarity, though, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Kindred

and the second part of that statement kinda explains why the men hated your accent... doesn't it? :P

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Yeah, I didn't have that problem... I'm just not a sexy hunk of a man, I guess.

kat

Might do, Kindred... Might do. ;)

I'm no oil-painting, myself, Pete. :(

Kindred

there are too many expat brits over here these days, Pete...  the novelty of the accent has worn off in most places...   unless you're Daniel Craig or Harry
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Bah, I say, bah! And I'm single these days, too!

Mind you, my accent is... absolutely English. Don't know if you saw any of the videos from the blog, but there's several of me actually talking and several people were surprised by my accent being 'that strong'.

* Arantor feels like he's threadjacking, eek!

Kindred

yes... but what sort of "english" accent?
I can identify at least variants of the english accent and I know there are many more gradiations, not even including the dialects used in the other portions of the empire.

Actually, that's a question for Irisado as well...
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Oh, there are a ton of variations. It's a 'southern' accent which makes it slightly softer than something like Estuary English (David Tennant's 'English' accent)

First video I could find that has me talking from our blog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf15QvTzcmY - I'm the one on the left with the silly hat on ;)

Kindred

rotfl...  dour, eh?

you are a quiet guy, when talking, aren't you?
I am just as loud in real life as I am on the forums. ;D
Слaва
Украинi

Irisado

Oh goodness yes, there are lots of accents.  Even in southern England, and the Thames Valley, which are often falsely perceived as being 'Queen's English areas', you will find regional variations.

I have a little story about that.  I was on a train to London with a friend, standing, as tends to be the case if you catch a train to London in the early morning, and we were politely interrupted by the man opposite us who was from the United States, and he wanted to talk about accents.  He couldn't place mine, which was quite amusing all round, so it's now official that, according to the Americans, I don't have an accent :D.

Arantor

I'm shy in front of a camera, what can I say? I'm a bit more talkative when in natural conversation, but yeah, I'm not exactly loud in person - except when it's a subject I know about and then my natural introvert/OCD/Asperger's/whatever makes me weird kicks in.

Eh, the south is not Queen's English area, you need to head up to the Home Counties for that. But the regional variations need only 40-50 miles to be very apparent.

Hmm, if you're saying your accent 'couldn't be placed'... I'm assuming it's the Herts part that's kicking in with what is probably the most neutral of the accents in England itself? (since Nottingham's accent isn't particularly neutral, like most of the Midlanders)

Irisado

By south, I meant home counties and Thames Valley, I should have been more specific.  I always forget that there's anything south of the Thames, mainly because the times I've been that way have all been really bad experiences that I would rather forget about :D.

Yes, I don't have an East Midlands accent at all.  It's never rubbed off on me, even though I've studied in both Leicester and Nottingham.  My accent is pretty neutral, but not quite neutral enough for Hertfordshire, so that's why it's hard to place.

Arantor

Us southerners are quite distinct about that, hahahaha - we're very firmly NOT the Home Counties or Thames Valley ;) But yeah, I can relate to bad stuff being south of the Thames, that's where I live :P

Yeah, an East Midlander accent is fairly distinctive, as is a West Midlander. I'm rather curious now about your accent!

Irisado

Having said that, family holidays to Devon used to be fun, so not everywhere south of the Thames is bad :D.

There's no way that I can describe it to you, unfortunately, so I can't satiate your curiosity.

Advertisement: