Converting only posts

Started by BrianTullio, July 19, 2013, 12:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTullio

I used the conversion tool a few months ago and it work pretty good.  I had to go in after the fact and tweak the permissions and groups, etc.

After a bunch of testing to make sure it was all right (We have a very complicated permissions setup), we now want to go live with it.

The problem is that the other forums was still live during this time.

Is there a way to re-convert the forum posts without over-writing the users and permissions that I tweaked?

emanuele

Hello Brian and welcome! :)

I don't think there is a "nice" way...

IT *may* be possible changing the converter (I mean the .sql file) removing what is not needed, but I suppose that if new topics have been made, there are also new users...
What you may try is do the conversion and the re-import the properly set up tables with the groups (I'd have to check exactly the names not to give you wrong info), that may work, provided you didn't add new groups after the conversion.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

BrianTullio

It's a small forum for a local club.  No new users have signed up and no new groups.  Just 20 or so new threads.

I will take a look at the SQL file as you suggested.  I am familiar enough with SQL that I can probably stumble my way through.

Thanks.

emanuele

Well, the .sql file doesn't contain SQL, it contains a mixture of SQL, php and some custom construct to tell upgrade.php what to do...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

BrianTullio

Once I looked inside the file, it was very straight forward.  Everything was clearly marked off in sections.  I just removed all the sections besides the topics, posts, PM's and attachments.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Advertisement: