Replacement Message Inbox Mod Request

Started by medicMe, July 21, 2013, 01:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

medicMe

The PM inbox is not my cup of tea, to say the least.

I searched around but didn't see many enhancements available for it.

Is there a mod or code snippit out there that makes the PM inbox look / feel / act more like vBulletin?

Or, anything that has a simple and compact inbox list and clicking on a new message opens it in a new page instead of just displaying it on the bottom of the page like SMF currently does?

Chalky

Try going into your private messages > Preferences > Change Settings and in the "Display personal messages" dropdown, select "One at a time".  Is that what you wanted?  :)

medicMe

Quote from: ChalkCat on July 21, 2013, 04:35:47 AM
Try going into your private messages > Preferences > Change Settings and in the "Display personal messages" dropdown, select "One at a time".  Is that what you wanted?  :)

That is an improvement, especially when combined with displaying the message on top of the inbox.

Ideally though, I'd wan to see a compact list of messages in an inbox first, clicking one opens the message but not in the same page (kinda like the board index, user sees a topic thread, clicks, gets thread.)

Basically, I'm aiming to make the PM functionality work a lot more like a web email client in terms of look and feel.

medicMe

Ok, how do I set "One message at a time" as the default for everyone and commit the change to current users who have it set differently?

I can only find the checkbox to put the messages on top in the theme options, but no combobox to force set one message at a time for all users.

Chalky

At this moment in time I don't think there is a way to set it for everybody.  You will just have to tell your members how to do it  :(

medicMe

Quote from: ChalkCat on July 21, 2013, 07:29:37 PM
At this moment in time I don't think there is a way to set it for everybody.  You will just have to tell your members how to do it  :(

*sadface*

I would ask how to set it via mysql for each user preference record, but this wouldn't set it by default on new members signing up after the fact... so I'm left thinking I'll just redo the template file entirely... but that of course it a far more intensive and time consuming fix. :(

Burke ♞ Knight

Admin - Configuration - Themes and Layout Settings - Member Options

The theme you are using:

Change current options for all members using this theme

Make your changes, then save.

Then, you can click the following, and set defaults:

Configure guest and new user options for this theme

Illori

yes that method works, but it does not have the feature listed that the op wants available.

Burke ♞ Knight

It sets it like the OP asked:

Quote from: medicMe on July 21, 2013, 07:10:12 PM
Ok, how do I set "One message at a time" as the default for everyone and commit the change to current users who have it set differently?

I can only find the checkbox to put the messages on top in the theme options, but no combobox to force set one message at a time for all users.

Illori

no it does not, it does not exist there. or for that matter anywhere in the admin panel.

medicMe

Does that not seem like a bug that needs squishing?

Perhaps a bug report should be submitted?

Illori

it is not a bug, it is a feature that does not exist there.

medicMe

Funny.. I'm revisiting this problem and google makes this thread the top result. :(

--

Ok, I'm at the point now where I'm willing to pay a bounty to whoever can code up a decent inbox replacement. Ideally, get the inbox to look and act like a mailbox (gmail, yahoo, etc..) or at least get it working like vB's inbox. PM me if interested.

Arantor

There is already a mod available that lets you reset it for everyone to be one at a time (and it also ensures all sent messages get saved so communication mode works should you want to use that)

medicMe

Quote from: Arantor on May 07, 2014, 03:17:54 PM
There is already a mod available that lets you reset it for everyone to be one at a time (and it also ensures all sent messages get saved so communication mode works should you want to use that)

What I really want is an inbox that works and acts like an email client. Or at least how vB does it.

Arantor

What are you calling 'like an email client'? What are you calling 'how vB does it'?

Of course, if you like how vB does something, you could always use vB...

medicMe

Quote from: Arantor on May 07, 2014, 03:21:46 PM
Of course, if you like how vB does something, you could always use vB...

Seriously?... I offer a bounty to anyone who wants to code up a solution for me, and you give me a 'f%*k off' response like that?

Arantor

No, I didn't give you that response. I simply asserted that you have the option.

Right now you've offered to pay a bounty for something you haven't actually defined. Most people here do not have vB and have little idea how it works. I'm still fairly sure what you want can be achieved with SMF and my PM Settings mod, but since you haven't actually said in any kind of detail what you want, I have no idea if that will do the job, for free, today, in a matter of minutes.

That's why you get the short, less than pleasant answer, because you don't want to actually spend any effort on explaining what you want, and going 'like that' as though that will be sufficient for me to read your mind.

dougiefresh

Arantor

Assuming folders tie up with labels, I love how 'multiple folders' is considered to be a bug (when multiple labels per message is intentional SMF design)

radu81

excuse my OT: in the first years using SMF I hated the way PM's were displayed. A few members asked for improvements, but one of my moderator suggested to leave it as it is. Why? Because users were using a lot the PM's and less the forum.

QuoteBasically, I'm aiming to make the PM functionality work a lot more like a web email client in terms of look and feel.
doo you really need that on a forum?
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

Changing it to 'conversation mode' actually solves a lot of the usability issues.

Antechinus

Conversation mode is the best thing since sliced bread.

Arantor

Being able to set conservation mode by default is even better, especially if you can reset everyone to that.

Advertisement: