News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF to SMF

Started by Account Abandoned, July 22, 2013, 03:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Account Abandoned

Is there any easy way to merge one SMF forum into another? This would be with version 2.0.4 for both forums. The forum I want to merge into the other has 710 Posts in 157 Topics by 50 Members. I just want to merge the members over and the posts, that is it.

Is there anything like that going on these days?

Illori

nothing like that exists. at least it does not exist to the public, if it was made by someone the team is not aware of its existence.

Account Abandoned

I see. Well, thank you for the response Illori!

Deaks

it is possible but would take alot of work as you would need to change the id's of the members posts and topics of the forum you wish to merge, also update the posts to match correct topics etc so it be ALOT of work for small gain :(
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Account Abandoned

Yeah, I think I will pass then. The smaller forum isn't that big anyway. I think I will just mass email the members to join the bigger one.

I have seen a lot of mergers for other software to the same software elsewhere, though, which seem to work perfectly. Is SMF just coded a different way where it makes it more of a challenge to make it work?

Deaks

more just coded differently and very few people ask for this so doesnt get priority over other converters that get used alot.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Account Abandoned

I see. Maybe something to consider for the future :)

If anything, it opens up a market of people sticking to SMF since they can buy databases of other SMF forums and merge them into theirs.

bfeist

I would definitely like to see a merge tool be made available. Right now the process requires converting away from SMF to another BB (such as myBB) that has a merge tool, merging, then converting back to SMF. Here's a previous topic on it http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=464174.0

However, using http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=mybb is very problematic. I don't think the myBB to SMF converter is very well maintained. I had huge problems with birthdate fields, attachments going blank, etc etc. I was running down rabbit holes making patches by hand to the convertor based on forum posts to resolve problem after problem. I eventually gave up. I'm waiting it out until a proper merge tool comes out, or the myBB conversion tool is fixed. I've been waiting a year.

ziycon

Shoudln't be two difficult, you connect to both databases and select everything in the current members table into a new table with an extra two columns that contains the members old id and source db then select the members from the second database and populate the two extra columns, based on the two extra columns and the new data you should be able to link the topics, pms, messages etc.

It would take a little bit of time to get the sql right, if im in the mood later i'll see what i can throw together.

bfeist

Hi ziycon, were you in the mood later? I'm dying to merge my two forums.

Ben

bfeist

Hi all,
I've posted a tool that will merge two SMF forums. Have a look.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513684.msg3630822

amadeos

does it provide 100% data merge?

Advertisement: