News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Mobile device compatibility

Started by Jamora1124, July 22, 2013, 12:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamora1124

Tried logging onto my own forum and few others supported by SMF, and it could never bring up the page. So my suggestion is making SMF more compatible with mobile devices, being able to log on to a forum by a mobile. We're in the age of the smart phone, and let's be honest, if you can't check your posts or topics via cell phone, it's pretty useless.

Although, it could also be my cell phone service, however, all other pages seem to work fine.

Kindred

SMF is completely compatible with mobile devices.

with older devices, ther eis the WAP mode...

with newer devices, it really depends on your theme.
The default (curve) theme - while not wonderful - does work on mobile phones (although it works better on tablet sized screens)
There are several mobile-optimized themes available as well....

So, I don't know what you mean by "could never bring up the page" since I frequently check on my own forums and this one using my phone.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

totaltutankoll

I'm very interested in to find out where I can find any of these themes?  :o

First of all I don't think anybody in the modern world of today still uses a phone with WAP and second of all myself is using a SMF forum to our news site and no theme I found so far is compatible with a smartphone such an iPhone or Galaxy which makes the whole forum experience on the forum a downside and people hardly using the forum at all!

For now I'm trying to set up a new forum/news project and where WordPress wins regarding CMS they lose in forum capabilities and vice versa with Simple Machines
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Non, je ne regrette rien!

Kindred

honestly, I'd take an smf forum + mods over wordpress any day of the week.

As for the themes...    I have an iphone, ipad, Tab2/7.0 and a GalaxyS4...   the forum theme works just fine onthose devices for all of my sites, including this one which uses the default theme. That is not to say that a truly "responsive" theme might not be useful.... but I'd hardly call it a bad experience.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NanoSector

You always have Tapatalk which has a mobile app.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 myself and forums work just fine here. So do they on my HTC One S. Only limitation I met was on a Samsung Wave 525, but that thing is by far not meant for web browsing.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

totaltutankoll

Quote from: Kindred on August 06, 2013, 09:07:13 AM
honestly, I'd take an smf forum + mods over wordpress any day of the week.

As for the themes...    I have an iphone, ipad, Tab2/7.0 and a GalaxyS4...   the forum theme works just fine onthose devices for all of my sites, including this one which uses the default theme. That is not to say that a truly "responsive" theme might not be useful.... but I'd hardly call it a bad experience.
Having a miniature version of a site when you could have it readable makes people fly off faster than you think and personally the mobile issues is the most disturbing thing with SMF.

Basically this very much usable tool that SMF is (I've been using it for a long long time) would probably take a huge leap up the global user market if it could provide a tat of better read responsive layouts and CMS-systems.

For me personally - even if I want to - it's freakin' hard to tell my boss I will build a new site from scratch using SMF as long as it's not responsive and I'm thinking I'm not the only one.
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

margarett

The thing with the responsive themes is a complete overhaul in the theme code. Most of the themes are based in the default.

I also visit this and other SMF forums in a smartphone. It's completely "workable", though small and with mandatory zoom in order to navigate.

One of my "regular visit" forums, "fabrikar.com" uses XF with a responsive theme and I must say it's a joy on the phone :)

There are some WIPs already:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=497669.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=487210.0
(and some others I am probably missing :P )
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

totaltutankoll

Quote from: margarett on August 06, 2013, 09:25:22 AM
The thing with the responsive themes is a complete overhaul in the theme code. Most of the themes are based in the default.

I also visit this and other SMF forums in a smartphone. It's completely "workable", though small and with mandatory zoom in order to navigate.

One of my "regular visit" forums, "fabrikar.com" uses XF with a responsive theme and I must say it's a joy on the phone :)

There are some WIPs already:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=497669.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=487210.0
(and some others I am probably missing :P )
My users don't have the patience for a non working theme as a non responsive or non modern layout provide. Regarding the links you provide the iDesign have not come with one update on the responsive matter on their own forum for a very very long time so it feels like there's very little hope on that going live but on their own site soon.

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

margarett

Quote from: Yoshi on August 06, 2013, 09:33:52 AM
http://smf-media.com/ < another option
Thank you! I knew I saw that somewhere but couldn't remember.

There are some themes in Theme Site, but unfortunately all really outdated:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=phone

So, bottom line: SMF is really "Mobile Compatible". You just need an adequate theme...
I believe (I think I read it somewhere...) that SMF 2.1 will ship with a responsive theme.

edit: as I said, the problem is that it requires a complete overhaul of the code. It's not something most people know how to do and, the ones that do know, are not probably willing to do it for free. Nevertheless, the price for smf-media is really affordable and seems to be just smooth!
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

totaltutankoll

Quote from: margarett on August 06, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
Quote from: Yoshi on August 06, 2013, 09:33:52 AM
http://smf-media.com/ < another option
Thank you! I knew I saw that somewhere but couldn't remember.

There are some themes in Theme Site, but unfortunately all really outdated:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=search;basic_search=phone

So, bottom line: SMF is really "Mobile Compatible". You just need an adequate theme...
I believe (I think I read it somewhere...) that SMF 2.1 will ship with a responsive theme.

edit: as I said, the problem is that it requires a complete overhaul of the code. It's not something most people know how to do and, the ones that do know, are not probably willing to do it for free. Nevertheless, the price for smf-media is really affordable and seems to be just smooth!
If it was in the core like WP SMF would be a great winner.  ;D

Kindred

WP core does not have any good, responsive themes either.
The only way to get a good mobile theme is to get the mobile pack add-on for WP.
Слaва
Украинi

totaltutankoll

Quote from: Kindred on August 06, 2013, 12:29:41 PM
WP core does not have any good, responsive themes either.
The only way to get a good mobile theme is to get the mobile pack add-on for WP.
The standard themes Twenty twelve and Twenty thirteen are both responsive but I don't think that is the crucial point.

The point is SMF isn't which makes it not likeable for i.e. me to keep on using it on new projects and I'm sure I'm not alone. Phphbb 3 comes with some easy to find and also smashing responsive themes that make your forum looks king on a smart phone!

MrPhil

People have been working on responsive design themes for SMF:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=487210.0 . Maybe something in there could be a good starting point. Note that they're not official SMF releases, but (at this point) private projects.

totaltutankoll

Quote from: MrPhil on August 06, 2013, 07:04:22 PM
People have been working on responsive design themes for SMF:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=487210.0 . Maybe something in there could be a good starting point. Note that they're not official SMF releases, but (at this point) private projects.
Have been working on it is not exactly the same thing as providing it is it  :-\

Branko.

Quote from: totaltutankoll on August 06, 2013, 01:53:09 PM
Phphbb 3 comes with some easy to find and also smashing responsive themes that make your forum looks king on a smart phone!
Of course, and earn money  :P

Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up.
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

peterpp

Just register your forum to tapatalk and there is no problem with the mobile devices.

hxxp:laptopacer.ovo.bg [nonactive]

Arantor

Other than the fact that the Tapatalk plugin is extremely buggy.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: