News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to make text blink using CSS

Started by topsy, July 30, 2013, 04:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topsy

The html tag to make a text blink is <blink></blink>. How can it be done using CSS?

Shambles

I read somewhere that blinking text is slowly being abhorred on t'internet. In fact I believe IE, Chrome & Safarai no longer support "text-decoration:blink".

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your query.

topsy

Thanks Shambles. Does it means that making a text blinks is outdated tricks.

Shambles

I believe it does.

But do have a read about blink animation in css3:

http://www.css3files.com/animation/#ani3

MrPhil

Blinking text is considered extremely annoying by most people, and has even been known to trigger epileptic seizures in susceptible people. It should be used only in the most extreme circumstances, such as Core meltdown in 15 seconds. Please either press "Scram" button or kiss your butt good-bye, Homer.

If you want people to avoid your website, by all means use blinking text, red text on a blue background, lots of huge animated images, and music they can't turn off.

Shambles

Quote from: MrPhil
If you want people to avoid your website, by all means use blinking text, red text on a blue background, lots of huge animated images, and music they can't turn off.
Sounds ideal. Got a link?  ;D

topsy

I guess one should be professional yet remain simple! I am dropping the 'blink effect' idea.

Shambles

margarett

Actually Firefox dropped the support for <blink> HTML tag, I'm not so sure about the CSS...

Edit: yes, it's dead already :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

The Craw

Ha. I totally remember using this on my first website. Epic blinkies!

Refalm

So here's how you create a blink tag.

First, go to your theme's index.css and add this:
.bbc_blink { animation: blink 1s steps(5, start) infinite; }
@keyframes blink {
    to {
        visibility: hidden;
    }
}

Then, edit Subs.php and add this under the other the other tag array's:
array(
'tag' => 'blink',