Wordpress/SMF Bridge and yes, I've already used the search function

Started by Fabis94, July 30, 2013, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diinxcom

I trying to integrated my WordPress site with SMF, and its realy make me confused. Can some tell me the step to do?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Metal_13

Have you tried this? http://www.jfusion.org/
SMF >> Joomla >> Wordpress

Im using this on my site and it works fine.

Kindred

egads.. nothing like building a skyscraper when all you needed was a house
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrMike

Quote from: Kindred on January 10, 2015, 08:21:27 AM
egads.. nothing like building a skyscraper when all you needed was a house

Lol, true.

I think what may be attracting people to the idea of SMF+Wordpress are the plugins available for Wordpress, of which there seem to be about a billion.

But as others have commented, SMF with the right plugins can give you quite a bit of what Wordpress does. Not everything, but a lot. There are some very nice job boards that use Wordpress, for example, but nothing comparable in SMF (yet).  (You could probably use that custom form mod to create a workable one, though.)

But Wordpress has a lot of drawbacks, notably the insecurity of the platform (better now, but still...) and some many of the plugins. You hear a lot more about wordpress sites getting hacked and hammered than you ever do about SMF. Yes, there are a lot more wordpress sites than SMF sites, but SMF is pretty well locked-down which is certainly part of it.

Without a compelling reason to use Wordpress I don't usually see it as the way to go.

Spr1te

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

MrMike

I like the look of turtleshellprod.com, that's a great theme the way you have it modified.

Wordpress does have a lot of themes, including some pretty slick ones. And gobs of plugins as well, I can see why a lot of people think it's a good basic platform or framework to use.

Quote from: Kindred on January 26, 2015, 09:56:08 PM
turtleshellprod.com
chelmsforddogassociation.org
chelmsfordfoodfan.com

Arantor

On the flip side you can do - with care - things like crossingoverland.com: getting a WP theme and limited blog running on SMF ;D

MrMike

That's pretty cool....I see it's SMF, are they actually using a WP theme in SMF somehow?

Quote from: Arantor on January 27, 2015, 04:42:15 PM
On the flip side you can do - with care - things like crossingoverland.com: getting a WP theme and limited blog running on SMF ;D

Arantor

That one was done by me. I converted a WP theme to run on SMF, since the original intent was to be a travel blog + forum (and I wanted a forum I knew would scale, and guarantee not to fall over when I wouldn't be near a proper environment to fix it if anything went wrong), but since I know SMF well enough, building a blog including tagging and the ability to geo-tag posts is hardly a challenge ;)

The travel blog where you see 'Pete' posting... that's also me. Including the true story of how come I left a pair of shoes tied to a tree in California.

MrMike

Quote from: Arantor on January 27, 2015, 05:54:01 PM
That one was done by me. I converted a WP theme to run on SMF

It's very nicely done and looks great. It looks spot-on like a WP blog.

How much work did it take to convert the theme?

Arantor

I don't know how much effort was spent, I don't really remember. I know I spent a long time futzing around with the background image to get it to behave (something the original theme had trouble with too), but the entire site was set up in the 2 weeks before we set out on the road, that much I do remember, especially with Louis coming to me 2 days before we set off with 'I think it'd be cool if we did geotagging of our posts.' And me not having used Google Maps' API or any geotagging stuff before.

Jeroi

Seriousli, I need smf users to wordpress migrater. I have 10 Wordpress sites and I would want smf migrate to wordpress. Since wordpress offers great paltform to build webpage rather than blog I use it extensively. Forums are not that needed for every usage. But some times it would be nice to include smf also to worpress without hassle. Why you do not support this? I don't see the reason of "just don't use it" or "smf has anything that wordpress has" valid reason not to include wordpress support in the platform.

MrMike

Quote from: Jeroi on September 27, 2015, 08:21:37 AMWhy you do not support this?

For the same reason that Ford doesn't support a "Ford to Chevrolet" converter.

Jeroi

Quote from: MrMike on September 27, 2015, 08:52:01 AM
Quote from: Jeroi on September 27, 2015, 08:21:37 AMWhy you do not support this?

For the same reason that Ford doesn't support a "Ford to Chevrolet" converter.

Not quite valid argument, metal work is not same than software. Also in software business support for another paltform makes the product greater than those that have own platform opinion only. As an professional business runner it seems that smf product support is terrible and makes me think of moving to another forum software. It seams wordpress have better support for another forums altho at my opensource time younger I used smf integraded to own custom template. But these days CMS is 2hours work to get business site. Not a piece of code needed other than couple lines of css.

MrMike

Quote from: Jeroi on September 27, 2015, 09:06:24 AMNot quite valid argument, metal work is not same than software. Also in software business support for another paltform makes the product greater than those that have own platform opinion only. As an professional business runner

No offense, but your post gave me brain cancer.

Let me spell it out for you: Why would SMF take the time to write something that would help their users move away from SMF?

Jeroi

Quote from: MrMike on September 27, 2015, 09:27:35 AM
Quote from: Jeroi on September 27, 2015, 09:06:24 AMNot quite valid argument, metal work is not same than software. Also in software business support for another paltform makes the product greater than those that have own platform opinion only. As an professional business runner

No offense, but your post gave me brain cancer.

Let me spell it out for you: Why would SMF take the time to write something that would help their users move away from SMF?

Well again you don't see the overal reason. When SMF would support seemlesly wordpress itwould make SMF a great platform to work with Wordpress and bring more users to use SMF. It would be a powerfull new feature that would bring a lot new forum users that use millions and millions wordpress sites already and the number increases daily a lot. Atm one bbPress forum plugin is out there but it's terrible and tbh I like these more matured forum softwares. But somehow forum software have staid in same hole like 10 years already. Others are growing and it seems SMF is not taking software industry seriously.

Kindred

we do take the "industry" seriously.
However, resources on the actual team are limited --   and we are working toward a new release of SMF.

Quite honestly, a bridge to WordPress is VERY FAR DOWN on our priority list (practically at the bottom in my opinion)
Additionally, the sync of systems is not the simple task that some people see to think....

Finally, because I believe there is one - created by someone else - which actually works.
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: