News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Hackers

Started by marknz, August 05, 2013, 06:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marknz

In looking through my site's default email address, I recently spotted 67,000+returned messages most of which seems to be from hack attempts on my forum.

To: <spam email address that is not in the member list>
Subject: Welcome to My Board
X-PHP-Script: <my site>/index.php for 220.250.52.66
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 05:09:35 -0000
X-Mailer: SMF
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="SMF-15e459a9cf06b745818c75a077587bb0"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <E1UIXkt-00037n-Vk@server1.<my server>>

1/ How the hell did people hack my personal email address?
2/ This message is being sent to an email address that is not in the database. Therefore it looks like the code has being hacked.

I had applied what I thought were excellent and tight security measures. Now Ive had to shut the forum down.
What can I do other than get rid of SMF to apply all antihack mechanisms

emanuele

What was the body of the original messages?

This simply looks like the "send this topic" thing TBH, no hacking whatsoever.
But obviously that's just a guess at the moment without more details.

If instead you find anything around your logs, the security report forum is the better place to get in touch.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MrPhil

Would a bot (search engine or spambot) clicking on "SEND THIS TOPIC" generate such an email? I would think that its use would be restricted to logged-in members, but maybe not (have a look at the permissions, to see if it's open to guests). If spammers are doing this, they probably won't obey any robots.txt directives to ignore action=emailuser;sa=sendtopic, but if it appears to be reputable search engines, it might be worth putting something in robots.txt.

Arantor

Yeah, this isn't a hack, this is someone using the Send This Topic function. While it's not a bug, I'd personally love to get rid of it precisely because of issues like this.

Shambles

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Batcher
... the Send This Topic function. ... I'd personally love to get rid of it ...

I'll cover your back, if you go down that route  8)

AllanD

This was also an issue with a version of Zen Cart where guests were sending spam emails. They also got rid of this function just for that. I agree it's something that should be done away with or reworked to send to a friend on the forum.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Arantor

Do legitimate people really use it any more? Seems to me that people just copy/paste into whatever it is they're using anyway, be that an IM client (incl. WhatsApp, iMessage), or social networking (FB, Twitter) or whatever.

AllanD

I can't answer that since I have never used it :P
KnD Hosting

Arantor

I think I only ever loaded it to see what it was :P

Arantor

So I've removed send-this-topic. Now just just leaves send-email-to-members which can't be entirely removed (e.g. you might need to send a message to a guest)

AllanD

Sounds great thank you, will help alot of forums from being used to send spam through.
KnD Hosting

Arantor

Advertisement: