Make"automatic attachment icon when posting" configurable

Started by serval, August 10, 2013, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serval

When you attach an image to a post, the "Message icon" automatically changes to a paper clip. I always immediately change it to a "Standard" icon, as I think the paper clip looks messy and is unnecessary.

Would it be possible to make this configurable at user or admin level? On our coin forum, we post a lot of coin images. Some are linked, some are attached. Attached images already show the paper clip icon to distinguish them from linked, which is fine. We don't need the paper clip at post level too. My admin asked me to raise the issue here.

Kudos too, as SMF forums are superbly logical, beautiful, intuitive and functional.  8)

kat

That image is Themes>Default>Post>clip.gif.

If you want to, you can replace that image with one of your own. :)

serval

Thanks, K@. I'll see if I can get the admin to do this. I won't forget your "Resolved" button, if I get a result.

margarett

As far as I see, the "clip" is only selected if no other icon is selected:

$_POST['icon'] = !empty($attachIDs) && $_POST['icon'] == 'xx' ? 'clip' : $_POST['icon'];

So, it chooses "clip" only if there are attachments and there is nothing selected (the 'xx' is a default value for "no icon selected", I think)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

serval

Quote from: margarett on August 12, 2013, 10:01:02 AM
As far as I see, the "clip" is only selected if no other icon is selected:

So, it chooses "clip" only if there are attachments and there is nothing selected (the 'xx' is a default value for "no icon selected", I think)

I think the default should just be the "standard" icon. It's not up to the software to make choices for the user. Plenty of us on our forum dislike the ugly, asymmetrical, paperclip icon. It should be moved to the configurable level, not the automatic level. Our admin claimed they didn't have access to the configurability of this without the server, but somehow I don't believe that. However, given that the admin claims not to be able to implement the offered solution, I will reluctantly mark this as "resolved".

Arantor

The main reason it is there is to point out there are attachments so when scanning through the list of topics you can see there is an attachment there to look at.

Your admin is correct, there is no configuration option anywhere for this so it would require changing the code itself or changing the image itself, either way requires server access. (So your admin is entirely correct.)

Advertisement: