Importing several 100 messages per day > could that be a problem?

Started by netpat, September 26, 2005, 02:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

netpat

I want to make sure to be prepared not getting into a possible problem:

I am importing several 100 messages per day via EchoForum into my the SMF database. Is SMF getting a problem when importing so many messages? Certainly I will delete older messages from time to time, but as far as I have seen, the ID renumbering is continued on the last highest ID and isn't filling up the freed ID's. Could this be a problem in a while?

www.oii.ch [nofollow] - a swiss bulletin board

Dannii

No. every new topic needs a new ID number. that's no problem.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Oldiesmann

The only time you'll run into a problem is when ID_TOPIC gets to 16777215, at which point you'd have to change the column type to INT (maximum value 4294967295).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

netpat

Because many messages will be deleted from time to time, what about ID-renumbering in a while? I know, it sounds easier than it is, but would it be realistic?

Oldiesmann

ID-renumbering can be done, but it's best to just leave it the way it is. Like I said - if you ever get to the point where the ID_TOPIC or ID_MSG exceeds 16,777,215 you can just change the columns to INT...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

netpat

Advertisement: