News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Fanfics System

Started by Tokzu, September 19, 2013, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokzu

The stories can be added only to sub-categories. You need to add sub-categories on the main category.
"I don't need a knight in a shinny armor, I need a angel in a trench coat"

My mods:

JF3000

Master Graves

Ok, I installed the mod, and got the permissions set, and... can't figure out how to post stories... The authors site is also down so no wiki, no manual, not instructions at all... I am so lost. Any help out there?

Avid Gamer

Quote from: Master Graves on February 24, 2016, 12:43:14 AM
Ok, I installed the mod, and got the permissions set, and... can't figure out how to post stories... The authors site is also down so no wiki, no manual, not instructions at all.

Also get the following error when trying to access the site

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

This comes about after clicking Forum in the about tab in fanfics. My reason for wanting to visit forums is due to anyone else who selects fanfics on my site receives the error "An error has occurred!" Also no means to ad stories.
Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest.

Kindred

your host has a poorly configured installation of mod_security

Ask them to remove it
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Avid Gamer

Quote from: Kindred on April 09, 2016, 09:54:32 AM
your host has a poorly configured installation of mod_security

Ask them to remove it

Thank you I will do that.
Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest.

Avid Gamer

Mod security was removed by my host and the same issues, but as I'm obviously blocked from the author website there really is no point in continuing I have uninstalled fanfics and deleted it, I do not have the luxury of continuous sorting out for a project that is not even off the ground.

Thank you for your reply and time.
Mess with the Best
Die like the Rest.

kherezae

Hello!

I'm tinkering around with this app on my website, deciding whether I want to use it/upgrade to pro/go another direction, and I'm running into some issues.

I get an error message if I try to delete or edit a rating, and I also can't click into a category:

http://worldsmyths.com/forum/index.php?action=fanfics [nofollow]

Similar error. Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be on my host's end? (I had to get them to manually fix the .htaccess just to get SMF to show up in the first place.)

Thank you!

Tokzu

Hello, this error is recorded in your forum or hosting errorlog? Can you copy that?

My mods:

kherezae

It's not in the forum error log, but it is in the hosting cpanel:

[Mon May 02 01:41:13 2016] [error] [client XX.XX.XXX.XXX [nofollow]] File does not exist: /home/talesofk/public_html/worldsmyths.com/501.shtml, referer: http://worldsmyths.com/forum/index.php?action=fanfics [nofollow]

(That's for editing a rating - I xed out the actual IP address.)

And this is the page I get when I try to click on edit for a rating, or into a subcategory, or into the test story I posted:

QuoteMethod Not Implemented

GET to /forum/index.php not supported.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

kherezae

I edited the .htaccess as instructed in the wiki article, but the same error persists. I thought it might mean I need to uninstall and reinstall the mod, but when I try to uninstall it, I get this:

Unknown column 'variable' in 'where clause'
File: /home/talesofk/public_html/worldsmyths.com/forum/Packages/temp/uninstall.php
Line: 35

Thoughts? (Thank you for you help so far!)

Kindred

Your host probably does not allow you to edit the mod_security setting... (as the wiki article mentions)  you will have to ask them to disable it
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tokzu

Quote from: kherezae on May 02, 2016, 04:13:20 PM
I edited the .htaccess as instructed in the wiki article, but the same error persists. I thought it might mean I need to uninstall and reinstall the mod, but when I try to uninstall it, I get this:

Unknown column 'variable' in 'where clause'
File: /home/talesofk/public_html/worldsmyths.com/forum/Packages/temp/uninstall.php
Line: 35

Thoughts? (Thank you for you help so far!)

For that error change the follow on uninstall.php:

Code (Search for) Select
WHERE variable LIKE '%{raw:var}%'",

Code (Replace with) Select
WHERE permission LIKE '%{raw:var}%'",

This is on line 31. I'll fix this later on the package.

My mods:

kherezae

Thank you for all your help! I ended up having to uninstall SMF and reinstall using sofalicious. It turns out our host is extremely unfriendly toward manual installs. (As I'm not the one footing the hosting bill, I can't complain; installing through sofalicious did fix the problem, after all.)

Anyway, we're definitely considering upgrading to pro.

I'm curious, though, if there's a way to get the story view to use paragraph tags rather than line breaks. I suspect that's more a function of the text editor used than the fanfics mod itself, so I won't be surprised if there's no real way around it at this time, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. :)

Tokzu

Yes, the editor uses linebreaks, but this can be corrected changing a little the code of the editor or using another one which uses p tags instead.

Maybe in the next update I add the option to change between different html editors.

My mods:

kherezae

Makes sense. Thanks again!

JediKnightMuse

Hi,

I have two questions for you.

1. Right now I'm using the free version of the fanfics system for a new site I'm working on. We're talking about, maybe, buying the paid version of it down the road, depending on how things are going with the site. If we decide to upgrade to the paid version of the mod, will there be any risk of losing any of the stories that people will have posted between when we open the site and when we do the upgrade? I'm not sure when/if we'd be doing the upgrade, but I just want to make sure that there won't be any risk of losing whatever has been submitted by users if we upgrade at a later time.

2. This is more of a suggestion than a question, but my co-mod and I were wondering if there would be any way to make it so that the fields/text for submitting a story could be customized, without making it a paid version only feature. The reason I ask is because it would be easier to, until I'm able to pay for the paid version of the mod, display some kind of a message on the submission page saying "use the summary field to add in other categories that this story might belong to," or to add in another field to list other categories, since selecting more than one category is currently a paid only feature. If this would be at all possible (sooner rather than later), that would be amazing and definitely make things easier.

Thanks!

Tokzu

Hi JediKnightMuse, about your questions:

1.- The stories created in FFSystem (the free version) won't be lost when upgrading to FFPro. FFPro comes with a script to make the upgrade so any data from FFSystem only will be updated to match the structure of the pro version. The only notable change would be that all the stories will be rejected because in FFPro all the stories must have at least one tag, so your users would have to update their stories... or you can manually do it. When that time comes I would guide you to do the upgrade.

2.- Sincerely I don't have plans to add the multicategory function in FFSystem. The main reason is because, as you said, it is a FFPro feature with the purpose of incentive to purchase the paid version; so it wouldn't have meaning if the free version had one of the main features of the paid version. Sorry. :(

My mods:

JediKnightMuse

1. Okay, thank you.
2. I wasn't asking about categories, necessarily, just custom fields. It would be nice if I could add some more text and a few other fields to the current submission form without having to pay for it. There's a custom profile feature by default for SMF, and that's basically what I'm asking for but specifically for the submission form for the stories.

Honestly, $50.00 is a lot of money for a download, and while I eventually might be willing/able to pay for it, it's probably not happening any time soon, which sucks because I would think that something like selecting multiple categories for a submission would be a free feature by default and not something I have to pay any money, never mind $50.00, for. I'm not trying to knock you or the mod- I think it's great, and I'm glad we found it- or anything, but it's just not something I can justify right now, and I don't know if/when I'll be doing an upgrade. If it were more like $10.00, I could see myself going ahead with the paid version, but $50.00 is a bit much for right now.  :(

Being able to customize the form and add more fields to it is not something that either version of the mod has, so you wouldn't be taking the incentive away for buying the paid version, you'd be adding another feature to the free version (and the paid version if you chose). It would definitely be useful if there was a custom field option for the free version, and I can see other people who might want to use the mod finding it useful as well. Having the (free) option of allowing someone to upload a book cover when submitting a story would also be something that would be nice to have, but mainly, right now I would really love the option of adding custom fields to the form.

Advertisement: