News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Question on phpBB2 conversion - custom profile fields

Started by Da Nag, September 28, 2013, 06:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Nag

Greetings,

I'm looking to convert our aging forums - phpBB2 with a Gallery v1 integration. Yep, it's old - but has served us well for over a decade. I'm liking what I see with SMF, and have tentatively decided to migrate over assuming I can overcome all the hurdles.

First step (of many) - I need to convert our custom profile fields. I'm using an ancient and abandoned mod on phpBB2 for this data (XDATA), but the good news is - I've figured out the SQL to suck it all out. Importing it into SMF custom fields doesn't look impossible, but I could use some tips.

First up - I need to key off the old user id's to the new ones in SMF. It appears from a cursory glance, that imported phpBB userid's will match SMF userid's?

phpbb_users.userid = smf_members.id_member

Assuming yes - any pointers on how one might import the custom profile field data into SMF? The custom profile field definitions themselves can be done manually - don't have that many of them. But scanning through the SMF tables, I can't find where the actual profile field data per user is stored - much less, any code to import it.

Thanks for any pointers.

margarett

Yes, in a conversion the user ids are kept. Even if they weren't, there had to be a temporary "connecting column" of information in order to relate the ids because they are needed everywhere.

The custom fields are kept in a not so obvious "smf_themes" table (out of my head, not on the computer now...).

What converter are you using?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Da Nag

Quote from: margarett on September 28, 2013, 10:20:06 PMThe custom fields are kept in a not so obvious "smf_themes" table (out of my head, not on the computer now...).

Thanks - I see them now.

Quote from: margarett on September 28, 2013, 10:20:06 PM
What converter are you using?

Is there more than one for phpBB2? I was pointed towards this one, and for all the standard stuff - it appears to be working fine. I ran into a few errors, but they were due to data integrity issues on the phpBB2 side with some old topics. Not sure how they got that way, but the topics were no longer accessible even though they were in the db. Manually cleaning them out allowed the migration to proceed to completion.

http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=phpbb

Advertisement: