Footer Menu

Started by live627, October 04, 2013, 08:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on November 25, 2013, 05:07:36 PM
I will note, however, that it is actually considered bad form these days to force a user to open a new window on links.

So why do we still do it?

Kindred

that is a good question (although it should be addressed in another thread)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FmX

Quote from: Kindred on November 25, 2013, 05:07:36 PM
you would have to edit the actual code to add target="_blank"

I will note, however, that it is actually considered bad form these days to force a user to open a new window on links.

I know that new tabs are bad but I use my menu for advertisement and want to open new tabs. Can you tell where I need to put this code. Thanks

live627

72 454

If it's bad form, why can I click on various icons under member info and it opens a new tab? I personally think it's of great use so visitor's won't be completely drawn away from the original site.

"In the template"? What template would that be?
SMF 2.0.11

Kindred

72 454,

It is bad form to FORCE the new window...   the icons under the user info actually do NOT open new windows, unless you have set your own browser to do so... (for example, in my browser, they all open in the SAME window).
That is considered "good form". Allow the USER to specify the preferred behavior in their own browser settings and then respect that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Except links in posts all direct off site and have done for years.

There is a valid logic to links that will be off-site going into a new tab, though.

Kindred

that is true, Arantor...    although the logic that SMF uses for that (because of the delays in the previous releases) is, sadly, outdated...  current logic suggests that all links should obey the user's browser settings and not force same or new... (even though I tend to AGREE with forcing a new window for offsite links)
Слaва
Украинi

72 454

My confusion. New tab, not new window.
SMF 2.0.11

72 454

Quote from: FmX on November 25, 2013, 04:59:53 PM
How to make all links to open in new tabs ? Thans :)

File:
Themes/Default/FooterMenu.template.php

Find:
foreach ($cat['items'] as $item)
               echo '
            <a href="', $item['url'], '">', $item['name'], '</a>';

Replace with:
foreach ($cat['items'] as $item)
               echo '
            <a href="', $item['url'], '" target="_blank">', $item['name'], '</a>';
SMF 2.0.11

Kindred

Quote from: 72 454 on December 16, 2013, 08:57:18 PM
My confusion. New tab, not new window.

essentially the same thing.
Слaва
Украинi

MaccabeeY

Quote from: MaccabeeY on December 29, 2013, 07:15:35 PM
Hi,

Nice mod, footer menu!  I would have posted this in the SMF community topic for this mod (instead of pm'ing), but one has not been started and I thought it best if a mod thread started by the author.

Anyway, all is great except on things.  in FooterMenu.php, there is an entry for an icon, "settings.gif", but the package does not include or install it.  Thus there is the ole standard 'X' placeholder in the dropmenu tab/button where the icon should when menu icons are enabled.

'icon' => 'settings.gif',

$admin_areas['layout']['areas']['footermenu'] = array(
'label' => $txt['footer_menu'],
'icon' => 'settings.gif',
'function' => 'FooterMenu',
'subsections' => array(
'index' => array($txt['footer_menu_menu_index']),
'edit' => array($txt['footer_menu_menu_edit']),
'categories' => array($txt['footer_menu_categories']),
'editcategory' => array($txt['footer_menu_editcategory']),
),

Do you already have a "settings.gif" file created?  If so, could you send a link to it so I can drop it in the ...images/admin/ folder where it is looking for it?

Thanks,
ED

Arantor

It's reusing the settings.gif that SMF normally comes with... or should be...

MaccabeeY

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 29, 2013, 07:38:07 PM
It's reusing the settings.gif that SMF normally comes with... or should be...

Unfortunately, SMF does not come with a settings.gif, according to my search of the 2.0.6 full install package.  It does have a search.gif, security.gif, selected.gif, and a server.gif, but no settings.gif

Let me know which SMF included image you intend on reusing and I will edit my FooterMenu.php to use that one.
ED

Arantor

Huh, I could have sworn it did. My bad. (Not my mod, have no idea which)

live627

I thought it came with that, too. Maybe it got renamed. Or removed. I don't remember which image it was supposed to be. server.gif seems good to use.

MaccabeeY

Ok, thx, I will modify your php file to use server.gif...ED

vkot

It seems that there is a confict with SMF Classifieds mod. When I installed Footer Menu, the SMF Classifieds page did not work (blank page). The rest of the forum (and the Footer Menu) was working OK. When I uninstalled Footer Menu, SMF Classifieds page was OK again.
For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

GamePersia

Now Working in this theme : http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2755
Help me,..i want to install this amazing mod !! :-*

catch101

Might be just me, but I can't see the admin menu for "Footer Menu". Tried installing it through Package Manager and Manually. Using SMF 2.0.8.

Where do you go to see it?

Admin -> Forum -> ??? or Admin -> Configuration -> Modification Settings -> ???

Please advise.

Advertisement: