News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Convert from VB to SMF, paid service

Started by Langman, October 08, 2013, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langman

Hi Guys,

Who's service can you guys recommend to assist me in converting from VBulletin 4.2.1 to the latest SMF?

Regards,

Awie

margarett

My advice is for you to try it yourself ;)
Pick a converter from this bord http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=134.0 (check the sticky topics for your version) and run the converter. It won't hurt your current vB forum ;)

For a conversion, whoever does it for you will need access to your hosting/forum details, so be sure to choose carefully. This topic applies:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=87130.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Langman

Thanks Margarett,

Is there a step by step guide to do this?

margarett

Look here:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Converting

But, in short:
- install SMF in a separate folder from vB, but in the same database
- upload the convert to SMF's folder
- run it through your browser. It's pretty much automatic, you just need to confirm some initial values.

The conversion will not hurt your vB installation (even if it goes wrong) but, it is advisable to set it to some kind of maintenance mode it has because the conversion process is intense to the server.
If you are comfortable with it, set a local copy of your forum in your local machine (xampp, wamp, etc) and try the conversion locally first ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

BWilliams

Quote from: Langman on October 08, 2013, 06:31:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Who's service can you guys recommend to assist me in converting from VBulletin 4.2.1 to the latest SMF?

Regards,

Awie
Just curious to see how your conversion went?  I'm looking to do the same and trying to get some feedback.

margarett

Yeah, we didn't get any reply...

I can assure you it works ;) Sometimes there are some bumps :P but not that long ago I converted a quite large vB 4.2 forum without major hiccups ;)

BWilliams

Quote from: margarett on September 22, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
Yeah, we didn't get any reply...

I can assure you it works ;) Sometimes there are some bumps :P but not that long ago I converted a quite large vB 4.2 forum without major hiccups ;)
hum..  The reason why I have made a couple of posts bringing these to the top was due to the fact that I'm looking to go away from vBulletin 4.2.2 myself and have attempted to do the conversion but ran into multiple issues/errors.

I'm going to try it again here shortly....

margarett

So please open your topic and let's fix it :)
Be sure to let us know which converter you're using ;)

Advertisement: