Vanilla 2 to SMF 2

Started by bill1082, October 22, 2013, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill1082

I've been having some issues with the converter that is posted on the SMF site.

If I leave the converter.php and the sql file as is, all I get is a white screen when i start the conversion.

if i do some editing to the sql file, i can get it to get to the next screen but once i fix one thing, 3 more issues come up.

has anyone actually gotten a successful conversion from Vanilla 2 to SMF 2 with the converter that SMF provides?

bill1082

also, i havent been able to get it to actually start converting anything. i see some others are able to get 1 or 2 things complete.

absolute paths are correct, passwords, db names, etc...   correct.

margarett

A white screen is usually a PHP error. You should find the cause in your logs (server logs).
Anyway, I've seen quite a few posts like yours, unfortunately unanswered...

Or, can you run the converter with convert.php?debug=1
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bill1082

thanks, did debug=1   

lets see if this helps track down the issue (s)

bill1082

it looks like either the vanilla DB can't see the SMF or vice versa.   

im using godaddy, didnt see any way to add another user to the DB so not sure where to go from here.

i switched the top of the sql file around to put the vanilla settings right in there

/******************************************************************************/
---~ name: "Vanilla"
/******************************************************************************/
---~ version: "SMF 2.0"
---~$Configuration['Database']['Name'] = 'xxxxxxx';
---~$Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'xxxxx';
---~$Configuration['Database']['User'] = 'xxxxxxx';
---~$Configuration['Database']['Password'] = 'xxxx';
---~$Configuration['Database']['Table_Prefix'] = 'GDN_';

---~ from_prefix: "`$Configuration[DATABASE_NAME]`.$Configuration[DATABASE_TABLE_PREFIX]"
---~ table_test: "{$from_prefix}User"

then get this error

Notice: Undefined index: substep in /xxxxxxxxxxx/convert.php on line 978Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:
SELECT
m.UserID AS id_member, m.Name [nofollow] as member_name, m.DateFirstVisit AS date_registered,
(m.CountDiscussions + m.CountComments) AS posts, m.DateLastActive AS last_login,
CASE m.RoleID WHEN 4 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS id_group, m.Password AS passwd,
CONCAT_WS(' ', m.FirstName, m.LastName) AS real_name, m.Email [nofollow] AS email_address,
CASE m.UtilizeEmail WHEN 1 THEN 0 ELSE 1 END as hide_email, m.Picture AS avatar,
m.RemoteIp AS member_ip, m.RemoteIp AS member_ip2, '' AS password_salt,
'' AS lngfile, '' AS buddy_list, '' AS pm_ignore_list, '' AS message_labels,
'' AS personal_text, '' AS time_format, '' AS usertitle, '' AS secret_question,
'' AS secret_answer, '' AS validation_code, '' AS additional_groups, '' AS smiley_set
FROM ``.User AS m
LIMIT 0, 500;
Caused the error:

Incorrect database name ''

bill1082

ok, i d-loaded the 2 files again, saw that there was a different set at the start of this post

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=407112.0

now im just getting user denied errors to access the vanilla DB

im using godaddy with their phpmyadmin

any suggestions on how to grant access?

bill1082

Ok, after looking a bunch of google posts and talking with godaddy, I went with their new hosting plan that has Cpanel included.

Now I've been able to get past my initial errors but I'm stuck here

Converting members... Successful.
Converting boards... Successful.
Converting topics...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: poster_name

I haven't been able to find anything or get anywhere with this as of yet. any suggestions?

Thanks

bill1082

ok, a little further

with the topics error i was getting, the select statement was happening after it tried to populate the array so it was getting no data.

this one though, I've been stumped on.

I skipped doing personal messages for the time being along with avatars, too many errors.

here is my latest error

Converting topics... Successful.
Converting posts...Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 1)... Successful.
Converting personal messages (step 2)... Successful.
Converting avatars... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: value

margarett

I think you can forget about that step.
Login to SMF, go to ACP --> Maintenance and perform the "Recount totals" task.
It should do the same thing ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bill1082

thanks for the response.

just ran that, same result.   

margarett

What do you mean by "same result"?

If that's the last step (dunno for sure), leave the converter and go to SMF to recount. After that, you either have your totals and your conversion complete, or you don't :P
So, what do you have?

bill1082

it shows the number of members

doesn't list any posts or topics and then see below

made it through.....but none of the posts or topics are showing under their respective category

they are in the DB though......

So that was a 3 day failure so far  lol

margarett

Quote from: bill1082 on October 25, 2013, 12:47:16 PM
So that was a 3 day failure so far  lol
Oh, I know what you mean :P

Do categories/boards appear and no posts inside? Or is your BoardIndex empty?

bill1082

looking at it a bit closer, looks like the title of the boards and then the boards themselves are all appearing in one line, including one called Root. 

hmmm

bill1082

so lets say this is the board

Area 1

• Board1
  • Board2

Area 2

• Board3
  • Board4

that is how it should be

instead its showing like this

Area 1
Board1
Board2
Area 2
Board3
Board4

margarett

Are those categories/boards or boards/child-boards?

I'm sorry, but I probably can't help you inside that. Even though I tried, I could never get the hang of the current converters. I am also writing one myself, but I've started from scratch exactly because I can't really understand those (my fault/lack of knowledge, ofc)

Besides, you changed the converter already, so now it also depends on what you've done...

bill1082

Category
- Board
- Board
- Board

Category
- Board
- Board
- Board

looks like this with 0 post counts

Category
Board
Board
Board
Category
Board
Board
Board

i didnt change anything with the board and topic conversions, just left out the message and avatar portion

i feel like ill have to start over

margarett

Can't really "picture" it. Can you printscreen?

bill1082

C stands for Category
B for Board

The General Cat im assuming is where SMF starts out

margarett

Yeah, it's messed up...

When you are converting, the first thing is to truncate each table that you will be filling with data from the "source". So, you shouldn't have General Category...

bill1082

hmm.

ok.

i think what i will do later is clear out the members, boards, etc... on SMF and try again

margarett

Actually the converter should be doing that for you...

edit: or not. sorry, I'm not sure. Mine is :P

bill1082

there are 2 converters that ive seen,   which one should i start with   lol   lets go back to the drawing board

margarett

Use the one you're working with and be sure to truncate all relevant tables before you start. Just in case ;)

bill1082

k. thanks for the responses.   

lets see how round 2 goes.

bill1082

started fresh.

seems like the first issue with this converter is that it takes categories and boards and puts them all into boards.

so it doesn't seem to follow the higharchy of everything and that might lead to the the posts not being put in place

does that make any sesnse?

this is the convert.php file and the vanilla2   sql file un edited
this is as far as it gets without me removing parts of the sql, etc...    but without having an interment knowledge of either mb backend, it's a bit confusing for me.

Converting topics...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: poster_name

margarett

Hummm... poster_name exists in the "messages" table, not in the "topics".

Are you using a "core" vanilla 2? I might install here in my local machine and have a try... What converter files are you using?

Advertisement: