News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Not all new unread post and new replies show up the first time I check

Started by ApplianceJunk, October 23, 2013, 11:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

I always go though and click...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

and the

No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics.

There are times, for example if I do it at say 6:00 PM and read all new topic and replies unit there seems to be no more.
Then I will do the same thing say one hour later at 7:00 PM and there will be new topics or replies that show up that had been posted earlier that day in  the AM.

Why did they not show up the first time I checked for unread post and replies?

I don't know when this started or how long it's been going on either or maybe it's just the way things have always been.

Edited to add: this is with my site, http://appliancejunk.com that this happens.

Arantor

It's down to how SMF works and how it's worked for the last decade, in fact.

It's based on, essentially, what's happened since your session last changed; if in doubt always use the 'try all unread topics', which is only not used by default for performance reasons.

ApplianceJunk

ok, I thought it had been going on for sometime, but it's one of them things that really did not matter much to me.
Tonight I just got the ambision to ask about it.

Thanks for the reply.

Arantor

Please never be afraid to ask questions. If something seems awry please do ask.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Arantor on October 23, 2013, 11:43:02 PM
It's down to how SMF works and how it's worked for the last decade, in fact.

It's based on, essentially, what's happened since your session last changed; if in doubt always use the 'try all unread topics', which is only not used by default for performance reasons.

Will it still act this way on SMF 2.1?

Arantor

Advertisement: