News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Links for mod page in package sections

Started by inter, October 24, 2013, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inter

Sorry for my English

Arantor

I don't really think there's going to be room in 2.1 to fit that in, there's already wider columns for things and one column I haven't added yet...

inter

I think it is very convenient - you can add a link to offsite and the developer's website and people will not load search
Sorry for my English

Arantor

I don't care whether you think it is convenient or not... I don't think there's room for it!

Burke ♞ Knight

Besides, if already have the mod, then must have gotten it from where ever the link would be.
I personally, don't see the need to clutter up the package manager with links that are not really needed.

However, I do think that the mod makers could add the support areas to the readme, if not already there, and then when needed, the admins of sites can just browse the files for the readme and get the link from there.

Arantor

It was brought to my attention that my previous post was 'unnecessarily rude'. I do not believe that was entirely true, nor is it representative of the team as a whole, and I apologise to anyone who believes I was being rude.

That said, the sentiment stands: there is no room to add this column to the display, not in 2.1 as it stands, especially not with the extra column I want to add (which I need to make room for as it is, and which is more important than the indicated column)

inter

I did not write anything to anyone.
and understand your mood without knowing the English language I can not.
Sorry for my English

Hristo

This could be really useful on forums with many mods installed (better as mod than core, IMO), but instead adding extra column isn't it possible to linkify the text in one of the existing columns, like Mod Name or Version and add some tooltip, like "click to visit mod's page"?

Quote from: Arantor on November 07, 2013, 01:01:27 PM... the extra column I want to add ...
I hope this would be "Date Installed" column, which really need to be core?

Arantor

@Inter, it was someone else on another forum who decided I was being rude.

@Hristo, yes, date installed is what I want to add but I'm finding that very hard to fit in and that is undoubtedly more use than a link that may not even exist in most mods.

There are also performance concerns to doing it, too.

inter

new idea:
the left the name of the module, you can attach a button and when you click on it under the name of the module opened a box with the Ajax which would be the content of readme.txt (there may be additional information, links, paypal, etc...)
Sorry for my English

Arantor

What language should it use? Readmes can be supplied in any language since 2.0 RC2.

inter

convenient one that specified in the profile, but if it is empty or does not exist - it is better English
Sorry for my English

Arantor

The package manager will accept readmes in *any* language, even ones not installed...

Arantor

There are also huge issues with encoding mismatches as well...

But I told you there wouldn't be room. Here's why there isn't room... I said there would be an extra column.

Advertisement: