News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Forever login?

Started by eric1234, November 07, 2013, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric1234

My users complained that they logged in but after sometime browsing the forum or leave it idle, it auto log out again. How to make every users forever login like in this site?

margarett

If nothing is wrong, you should get logged in "forever" if they check the correct option when they login...

Can you reproduce this yourself or are they just telling you?

You can also change the default cookie duration in your ACP to a huge number so that, if they don't check the option, they still get a big number so it would be like "forever"
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

eric1234

Quote from: margarett on November 07, 2013, 01:02:02 PM
If nothing is wrong, you should get logged in "forever" if they check the correct option when they login...

Can you reproduce this yourself or are they just telling you?

You can also change the default cookie duration in your ACP to a huge number so that, if they don't check the option, they still get a big number so it would be like "forever"
I also cant reproduce this myself :(

Default cookies? you mean Minutes to stay logged in?

margarett

index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings;sa=cookie;

"Default login cookies length (in minutes)"

;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sir Osis of Liver

You can edit the login templates to remove the session length option and hardcode all logins to forever.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

eric1234

Quote from: Krash. on November 07, 2013, 01:33:27 PM

You can edit the login templates to remove the session length option and hardcode all logins to forever.

Mind to elaborate on how to do that?

Quote from: margarett on November 07, 2013, 01:28:00 PM
index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings;sa=cookie;

"Default login cookies length (in minutes)"

;)
Checking it now

Sir Osis of Liver

You remove the 'Forever' dropdown in the header login in index.template.php, and add -

<input type="hidden" name="cookielength" value="-1" />

In Login.template.php, remove 'Minutes to stay logged in:' and 'Always stay logged in:', and add the same line to the code.  You have to do this in 3 or 4 places.  Search 'cookielegth' to find them all.

- R. Waters

eric1234

Quote from: Krash. on November 07, 2013, 03:07:10 PM

You remove the 'Forever' dropdown in the header login in index.template.php, and add -

<input type="hidden" name="cookielength" value="-1" />

In Login.template.php, remove 'Minutes to stay logged in:' and 'Always stay logged in:', and add the same line to the code.  You have to do this in 3 or 4 places.  Search 'cookielegth' to find them all.
How to remove??

remove the 'Forever' dropdown in the header login in index.template.php
<select name="cookielength">
<option value="60">', $txt['one_hour'], '</option>
<option value="1440">', $txt['one_day'], '</option>
<option value="10080">', $txt['one_week'], '</option>
<option value="43200">', $txt['one_month'], '</option>
<option value="-1" selected="selected">', $txt['forever'], '</option>

remove 'Minutes to stay logged in:' and 'Always stay logged in:'
<dt>', $txt['mins_logged_in'], ':</dt>
<dd><input type="text" name="cookielength" size="4" maxlength="4" value="', $modSettings['cookieTime'], '"', $context['never_expire'] ? ' disabled="disabled"' : '', ' class="input_text" /></dd>
<dt>', $txt['always_logged_in'], ':</dt>
<dd><input type="checkbox" name="cookieneverexp"', $context['never_expire'] ? ' checked="checked"' : '', ' class="input_check" onclick="this.form.cookielength.disabled = this.checked;" /></dd>';

by the way, is it by changing the code , everyone in my forum including myself will be forever logged in? But why the current system even when we ticked always stayed logged in , still eventually after some time will be auto log out?

Kindred

no. If you have the forever chosen, you will NOT be logged out "after some time"

unless you delete your browser cookies
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

eric1234

Quote from: Kindred on November 08, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
no. If you have the forever chosen, you will NOT be logged out "after some time"

"after some time" is how long?

oridyne

Quote from: Kindred on November 08, 2013, 09:19:02 PM

I have noticed recently that both on my phone and PC I am repeatedly having to re-logon to my forum despite having "Forever" checked and no changes to settings on either device affecting cookies.

Whether this is as a consequence of the recent update I am not sure but it has been working fine. I use Chrome on my PC and Dolphin on my Android smartphone if that helps.
<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Big Bang Burger Bar

Kindred

eric1234,

I don't think you are actually paying attention.  I QUOTED your statement of "after some time" (which is why it was in quotes.
After some time is NEVER if you have a standard, unmodified installation and don't delete cookies.
period.
What you are experiencing suggests that either you have messed around with the code, in which case, all bets are off and it could be doing anything, since we have no idea how you have screwed up the code or that you are deleting your cookies on your local browser - which will, indeed end your session.

oridyne,
see above.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: eric1234 on November 08, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
How to remove??

Just comment out or delete those lines.

by the way, is it by changing the code , everyone in my forum including myself will be forever logged in? But why the current system even when we ticked always stayed logged in , still eventually after some time will be auto log out?

By setting cookielength = -1, users stay logged in until they log out, or cookie is deleted.

- R. Waters

oridyne

Quote from: Kindred on November 09, 2013, 09:16:33 AM
eric1234,

I don't think you are actually paying attention.  I QUOTED your statement of "after some time" (which is why it was in quotes.
After some time is NEVER if you have a standard, unmodified installation and don't delete cookies.
period.
What you are experiencing suggests that either you have messed around with the code, in which case, all bets are off and it could be doing anything, since we have no idea how you have screwed up the code or that you are deleting your cookies on your local browser - which will, indeed end your session.

oridyne,
see above.

Firstly my bad, I replied to this having seen the Forever login title, missing that it was for SMF 2.0 where I am running 1.1.19.

Whilst I have multiple mods, and have had to make some minor changes in the past to mod code to fix issues with my site, none of this has been done recently and certainly not since the recent update. The forever login has been working fine, though recently, not sure if it coincided with the security update I'm afraid, I have noticed this issue happening on my devices connecting to the forum.

I have made no browser config changes, no code changes but yet I see this happening despite your insistence. I merely posted to confirm that someone else was seeing the same issue as the OP. Not a problem for me to keep logging in, just thought I would try and help as there may be an issue.

Just because something should work does not mean there is not a problem, especially with such a complicated bit of code as SMF, it is always far to easy to miss something.
That said, I could not code anything as complicated as this and concede to your superior knowledge of your own product for which I thank the entire dev team for their continued efforts it is much appreciated.

I will just resign myself to logging in more frequently and bow gracefully out of this conversation.

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Big Bang Burger Bar

Kindred

oridyne,

the cookie/login for SMF 1.1.x has been working for everyone for the past 8 years....     so, if you have an issue, it would seem to be very specific to your site.
Not saying there is not an issue, just saying that the issue is NOT in the SMF core code.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: