Package manager, sequence.

Started by lurkalot, November 07, 2013, 03:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Think I've touched on this before,

but I think as the mods like to be Un-installed in reverse order to which they were installed.  Wouldn't it be easier (or possible) if each mods un-install link was greyed out in turn, so you can only un-install them in the correct order.  (with perhaps a override for experienced users).

This would make life so much easier when installing themes etc, without having to manually add the mod codes to them each time.  And would help you not to destroy your site because you un-installed and reinstalled some mods in the wrong order.

Secondly.

When you upload a package, you instantly get a [ Install Mod ] link  even though the mod needs to be emulated, so if you click that install link you'll get a message, "The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF."

What's the point of that install link?  Perhaps change it to "Return to Package Manager"

Hope I made sense.  ;)

kat

For your first point, I believe that mods are shown, in Package manager, in the order in which they were installed. First at the top, as you'd, probably, expect.

For your second point, which I agree with, I'd've thought "Try using emulation, by clicking the 'advanced' wotsit" would be a good message to get, if the mod's for an earlier version.

'course, this may already be a feature in SMF v2.1. ;)

Arantor

You did previously suggest the listing-in-order thing - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=501314.0 - and 2.1 sort of does (not that you'd know it). However it is often not the case that you need to uninstall EVERYTHING and then reinstall it all to get an older mod uninstalled.

lurkalot

Quote from: K@ on November 07, 2013, 03:26:54 PM

For your first point, I believe that mods are shown, in Package manager, in the order in which they were installed. First at the top, as you'd, probably, expect.

Thanks K@  I don't think they are tbh, or at least they aren't on my sites.

Quote from: K@ on November 07, 2013, 03:26:54 PM

'course, this may already be a feature in SMF v2.1. ;)

It might be when it's finished, but it's still there atm on my 2.1 test site. ;) 

Arantor

Note that the time of install is explicitly shown in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513151.msg3636484#msg3636484

But I'm still very wary of having it automatically attempt to uninstall a number of mods (with all their potential requisite clean-up operations) to uninstall one other. This is generally not as much of a problem as it used to be anyway. I'm even wary of the system trying to be smarter than you and lock you out from doing something that 'might' be problematic.

I think I'm going to have to give this one a pass for now, I'm afraid.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on November 21, 2013, 07:01:38 PM
Note that the time of install is explicitly shown in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513151.msg3636484#msg3636484

But I'm still very wary of having it automatically attempt to uninstall a number of mods (with all their potential requisite clean-up operations) to uninstall one other. This is generally not as much of a problem as it used to be anyway. I'm even wary of the system trying to be smarter than you and lock you out from doing something that 'might' be problematic.

I think I'm going to have to give this one a pass for now, I'm afraid.

No problem. ;) Though I wasn't asking for it to uninstall anything automatically.  If it just highlighted the last mod installed in some way would have been handy though, save trawling through a long list of mods and checking the install times. 

[ Uninstall ]
[ Uninstall ]
[ Uninstall ]
[ Uninstall ]
[ Uninstall ]

Arantor

Relevant part of the bit you quoted:  I'm even wary of the system trying to be smarter than you and lock you out from doing something that 'might' be problematic.

Even doing what you're suggesting is not a good idea. Though if you noticed, you can sort by install time.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on November 23, 2013, 12:29:55 PM

Though if you noticed, you can sort by install time.

True.  I'll use the sort method.  ;) 

emanuele

If I remember correctly (and I may be wrong because if I did it, I did it quite a bit of time ago), in SMF 2.1 when there is a conflict, in the error message there should be a list of the mods installed after the one you are trying to uninstall, suggesting that one or more could be the one generating the conflict.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: