News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Better attachments handling

Started by radu81, November 22, 2013, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w5hro

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2014, 01:10:56 PM
(and this is why implementing it in core is nowhere near the simple task people think it is and why complex testing is required - and why a suitable amount of 'is this actually necessary' needs to be asked first because of the effort required)

Yeah, I agree...

My problem is I got spoiled with the other SW package and now with SMF those features are gone. It's like having cable or satellite TV and then going back to an antenna with only local channels. Some things you take for granted until they are gone.

I like SMF better because its way more efficient, but there should be an easier way to add the feature like I mentioned without making it complex.

Arantor

If only everything were as simple as people imagine it to be. Sadly it's not. This is the point I have been repeatedly trying to make.

radu81

my only concern about this mods is when version 2.1 will came out. Who knows if the mods will be updated or compatible with 2.1?!?
sorry for my bad english

w5hro

Quote from: radu81 on May 22, 2014, 02:37:17 PM
my only concern about this mods is when version 2.1 will came out. Who knows if the mods will be updated or compatible with 2.1?!?

I really don't have any plans to upgrade to 2.1 believe it or not. I did that with phpBB3 and after spending lots of time tweaking each version to make it work like I wanted it to I wound up starting over from scratch again because I couldn't just overwrite the files because of the mods and the changes I made. It's not worth it. The only time you really need to upgrade is when browsers advance with drastic changes after several years and you start having compatibility issues. Example being IE :P Then it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade. I'm just going to make 2.0.7 work as well as I can for now and be done with it.

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2014, 02:32:50 PM
If only everything were as simple as people imagine it to be. Sadly it's not. This is the point I have been repeatedly trying to make.

I didn't say it would be easy easy ;D

Whatever you guys decide at least keep the below in mind..

• Place Inline button to the right of the file attachment box.
  • Clicking on the button uploads the file and places the code where the cursor is, but doesn't yet submit the post.
  • If the button in not clicked then when submitting the post the attachments are saved as standard attachments at the bottom of the post.
  • Have the ability to place attachments inline already attached to a post when editing. Make it automatically save and overwrite the existing file somehow if renaming or changing the file is necessary when clicking the Place Inline button.

That's basically it and my feedback for what's it worth. I played around with the other mod last night and those are the issues I quickly found because it won't do the above. From what I saw it's way too limited and wasn't very well thought out.

Take care...

Kindred

4 is a major issue
1 is a themer decision
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

In addition, 2 isn't too much of a problem, 3 somewhat more so. But again, why worry about reality? :P

I'm just curious to know who's supposed to implement all this, amongst everything else that needs doing. (Some of you will know my stance on speed of certain things being worked on already, for things monumentally more important than this.)

w5hro

Quote from: Arantor on May 22, 2014, 07:59:30 PM
I'm just curious to know who's supposed to implement all this, amongst everything else that needs doing. (Some of you will know my stance on speed of certain things being worked on already, for things monumentally more important than this.)

You don't have to do it, but when I saw this topic it hit home because I'm one of those people who uses that specific feature SMF does not currently have. You can simply ignore it or consider it. I'm giving you feedback. Do with it as you want. If its an issue then you should probably just remove this Feature Request forum all together.

Arantor

The only real issue is the fact that we're treading ground over and over and over... we get it already. We get that you don't have a feature you consider essential. We heard you the first, second, and third times already. And were it up to me, I'd do something about it - except for reasons I'm not about to get into, I personally will not. So you're reliant on the SMF team, of which I am thankfully no longer a member, to implement this - as well as the hundreds of other things that need doing for 2.1. And to keep banging a drum when they already heard you... it really doesn't help your cause. I should know, I've been banging some drums for years and the only way I got change was to do it myself.

Kindred

I think you have missed the point,W5HRO.
There is no problem with requesting a feature (weell, not for the most part)
the problems occur when users won't listen when the PM or the Devs say no...

Or when they chime in with "I haven't bothered to read the thread, but here's my two cents" (and, as it turns out everything they had to say has been said before and every question they had has actually been answered already)

now - that being said... SMF is open source, dev is open on GitHub and anyone can submit a pull request with code changes, if they care enough to implement something (although there is no guarantee that the devs will accept every request, even if it's well coded)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

w5hro

This is probably the exact reason why a lot of people won't ever come in here and post a request because they know they will get attacked if they do.

I won't post here again...

Arantor

That wasn't an attack. That was a frustrated sigh from someone that has simply heard your request over and over and over without any sign of what I'm saying being taken on board.

Kindred

And this is the other issue... the moment someone points out the the user may have been in the wrong, the user immediately calls it "an attaclk" and says "this is why XYZ"

There was no attack in either my post or Arantor's....   just blunt fact. Unfortunately some people are thin skinned and seem to feel that, unless they are coddled and apologized to, it means that the other person is rude or hostile... when the plain fact is that some of us have 18 thousand things to be doing. We are taking time out of our lived to volunteer on theis project and we just don't have time to coddle folks.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

No... unless they get what they think they're entitled to, any refusal of any kind is an attack.

w5hro

The last thing I am is thinned skinned. Ask anyone who knows me ::) I could care less if you were going to do the mod or not and I already said I wasn't going to upgrade anyway so even if you did I still would not have had it. It's all about the way you guys come across and treat people and your last couple of posts are a prime example.

Anyway, spin this the way you want and make yourselves look good. The bad thing is I think this is the best forum software around and it has been well thought out and I would have been willing to help in anyway that I could and contribute, until now.

Kindred

You are not thin skinned, and yet you have gone into a tizzy about something that was nothing more than a plain spoken, blunt post, so much so that you have picked up your toys and left...

No, that's not acting thin skinned at all....
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

To be willing to contribute also means actually listening to what people are telling you and not just reiterating the same thing over and over... as you have done here.

PAPABEAR

Sorry to bring this back up as it seems there is tension in this topic.

Arvacon gave a perfect example below, so I see no need to try and justify anything.

Quote from: Arvacon on January 08, 2014, 02:57:30 AM
+1 from me about these suggestions.
For some forums, like hobby, electronics, machining etc., the pictures are a very big and important part of the description that the members try to present.
Let's say that we have to describe the build of a device, that it has lot of details. Most of times, this will needs at least 10 pictures in one post, to make others see your work and understand about what are you talking about.

If the pictures open like with the Highslide, then it's nice and easy to see them, but if you have just the default system, this is not comfort at all and you start feeling boring to open them one by one. Also sometimes it is nice to watching the photos without need to open them, as it is happening with the ILA, that you can put them into the post in big size and make it looks like a tutorial, with several pictures one under the other and with some description between them, as you analyze your work.

Something else that it would be handy too, is the youtube video links to could be placed as is at the editor and then after posting it, to open the video window without need to use bbcode or extra buttons. For us that we know some things about forums, this seems not important, but you can't imagine how many users are keep asking us about how to do this.. There are a lot of people out there that they don't understand and they ask always how to put youtube links...

Anyway, what I try to say is, these requirements are not because we want our forums to be glamorous. If you see this from the side of the simple user, these things are important for the correct functionality of a community that it has the need of the attachments at the posts.

I can't imagine a forum about machinists, that someone needs help about how to unscrew for example his lathe machine and that the members will have to explain him just with words, or he must describe them how his lathe seems, because for ex. it is difficult to upload 10 pictures at once..   

Pictures=1000 words, right? It has nothing to do with elegant and if you want SMF to be on top again, you have to fight for it and improve some things and you must know that we are here and we will continue to support you.

I understand that you try hard about this project all these years and whatever you do it takes a lot of your free time, but isn't it a pity to leave a so many years work to fade out and stay behind of the competition with the pass of time?
Just my 2 cents as you say in America  :)

I started with SMF. Then I went to IPB. Then to VB for a long time. I have recently went back to IPB. There is one feature I really like a lot in IPB and that is when you upload your images, you see theie file names in the attachment box on the bottom. You can put your cursor anywhere in your post and then click the insert link next to your list of attachments. It will automatically put the image code right where your cursor was. Very nice feature.

I am not saying that IPB or even any forum is perfect for everybody. They all have something lacking. That's why we have mods. I don't mind using mods. They are there to help tailor our forums to our needs. I use a lot of them.

If 2.1 has been in development for more then 3 years, then I am going to install it to see it in action. Is there a link to where I can see these changes you haven't added yet to 2.1? Realistically. How much extra time would it actually take to make the image handling better?  I would like to know the things that you are still working on adding that could be more useful in addition to the things that took 3+ years to implement.

I am interested in this because I've always liked SMF and want to use it again on an upcoming forum. If better image handling is not going to be implemented because you don't think there is enough need for it (we all have our opinions), then that's fine. Do you have any rough idea of when 2.1 will be released?

Kindred

Since we do this as volunteers, in our free time, we won't/can't give a release timeframe... not even a rough idea.

Basically - it will be released when it is ready. :)

I understand the arguments for inline attachments...   don't necessarily agree with them all - but I understand.
That being said... I am not one of the developers nor - even as the PM - can I say to the devs "do this" - since, as noted, we're all volunteers. So, the issue becomes - if this is so desired - WHO is going to do it?  Who can do it and has the interest in doing it.
Since we're on GitHub... ANYONE who can code could put together some sort of handling and submit a pull request...

side note:  I just noticed that the user who caused a bunch of the drama/tension went and deleted his posts before he ran off in a huff. I have restored them, since this is a conversation, and removing part of the conversation while leaving the responses is uncool.
Слaва
Украинi

PAPABEAR

Thanks. I kind of figured it was more of a "who" kind of thing. I see you have added some really cool features though!

I want to personally thank you all for what you do. Your done, ongoing, and future work is appreciated. I keep coming back here to see how SMF is doing for a reason. Because I like it. Always have. Always will.

a10

The inline (inpost) picture attachment is often needed on my forum. A big wish for 2.1.
Having it as standard feature preferable to using a mod imo (stability, updates etc).
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: