Newly installed forum v2.0.6 getting 406 not acceptable creating new category

Started by Dbocooksr, November 27, 2013, 12:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Makes no sense, and doesn't look like a host problem.  How was the database created?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Dbocooksr

Ive created it manually and ive used the applications manager to create it with the installation

Kindred

Krash....   How can this NOT look like a host problem?

This has nothing to do with the database or with any SMF file(s).

Another user had almost the same problem and - as it turns out - it was exactly as I described - a problem with mod_security (but it was not solved until he got higher than first level support at GoDaddy)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

I've worked with several GoDaddy accounts, and never seen anything like this.  Their standard server config has always been compatible with SMF, and the errors seem to be limited to only those two category functions.  If there's a problem with mod_security, why doesn't it show up elsewhere?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Dbocooksr

Well go daddy's stance on this is now that i have spoken with advance tech support is it is tripping something with Mod_Sec on the parent server but they are saying it's not just go daddy's problem they are trying to say that it is the coding in smf that is tripping it or some bullcrap excuse like this and they said they had a similar problem with Wordpress a while back and they had to get together with Wordpress and work out coding on both ends to correct the problem. So with that said they asked me to try to get someone from smf to reach out to them and i told them a i would highly doubt a company is gonna reach out on just the account of me and thought it was crazy they wanted me to be like the mediator to get smf to reach out to them but the tech asked me to clean out all my folders and databases and tomorrow when his direct supervisor is there and some other higher ups are there he is going to install the forum using they're "Installatron" on they're new Cpanel and see if it recreates the problem so he can basically show his supervisor it rules error on my part out of the equation which i know there is no error on my part but he wants to rule it out because like i said and he agrees if i use they're Cpanel application "installatron" to install a forum they provide and promote on they're hosting server then how is it not they're problem? because as of today they are basically telling me they're aren't budging and aren't doing anything to reconfig mod_sec or anything so basically i have a hosting service that cant host what i want/need which is SMF i refuse to use myphbb and vannilla i just don't like they're setup. What is a good hosting company that backs they're stuff and is reasonable with little downtime? Is A2 any good? If they can't provide me a resolution by tomorrow I'm requesting a refund. I would like to thank everyone for all the help and i will keep you posted to what they say tomorrow.

Kindred

Actually, one of our main developers, Arantor has said, several times ---   if Someone from GoDaddy will come over here and discuss WHAT they think SMF is doing wrong to trip mod_security, he is willing to look at our code.

(point them here to this thread)

My (personal) favorite host is ICDsoft. I have 5 sites hosted with them and have never had any issue with WordPress, SMF or Joomla.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dbocooksr

Hey Kindred,
                    The admins over there asked me to reach out to you and forward an email to you regarding this because they have other customers with the same problem but they have politely asked me to please keep the rest of the convo regarding this matter out of public channels. I know you don't like pm's or emails regarding support but they want you to have this info. Can you pm me with a email address i can forward this email to. It explains what inside smf is tripping they're mod_sec.

Kindred

Actually, if they send it to security at simplemachines.org it will get to the developer group who are the ones who need to take a look at things....
Слaва
Украинi

Dbocooksr

Well now this morning GoDaddy sent me an email saying they removed the mod_sec rules for my acct while the correct the problem. Why they couldn't do this before is beyond me but I would like to thank everyone for all the help as usual using SMF has been a great experience!

oaqm

I have a user (global moderator) who is now receiving this error whenever he tries to post or reply to a thread. Attempting to post/reply from any device via his ISP is generating the NOT ACCEPTABLE/Mod_Security error; when he went to his smart phone and shut down his wireless connection (in other words, he cut his ISP out of the picture) he was able to post. I was also able to log in using his ID/password and had no trouble posting or replying from my location.

I have linked him up to this thread and advised him he is going to have to do some serious escalating with his ISP tech support, but there is nothing I can do from my end to fix this and there is nothing he can do with his PC or tablet to correct this; it's going to have to be the ISP that does the fix.

In any event, I just wanted to say THANKS to Kindred for his input and clarification. This thread has been and hopefully will be a great help to my friend.

bitcoinuk

Hi,
I am also with godaddy and i am having the same problem when ever i try to modify or create a category. i have just had a hour long phone call that did not resolve the issue they said they turned off the Mod_sec and the fault was still there. I'm really stumped any help would greatly be appreciated

Deprecated

It doesn't look like this problem is solved yet but let me give you a little bit of advice. Don't EVER use any shared hosting service supplied installation tools. Probably not a good idea to call tech support either, particularly the script readers at the bottom level. It's always been my experience that I can fix my problems myself quicker than spending hours talking to some script reader.

If f you don't have any major effort involved in configuring your forum, no members, no posts, my advice is to just clean out your files, discard the database server, create a new folder and get a new MySQL database and just start over.

Additionally since 2.0.7 was just released you'll be ahead if you just scrap the 2.0.6 installation and no need to upgrade.

I'm going to have to watch this topic because I just took over tech admin at a SMF 2.0.6 forum hosted on GoDaddy. I'd rather know what they are before I start tinkering with the forum. I wouldn't want to crash a rather active forum in my first week on the job. :)

bitcoinuk

i have been clearing my database and and starting over all day today trying to fix it myself it. still no joy i will keep you updated i'm going to work on it through the night i might find a fix fingers crossed

Arantor

If you're still getting the same problem, mod_security hasn't been turned off.

bitcoinuk

just got off the phone after another 1hr and half. they said have turned off my Mod_Sec and i still have the problem. they also tried installing it on various other systems and servers and they all resulted in the same error. The guy i was speaking to also said that smf sent them a patch a while back but that hasnt helped fix anything. Godaddy saying the fault lies with smf somewhere lol cant believe i'm paying for not having a service with them 

Arantor

SMF has not sent them any patch that I am aware of, nor have they ever got in touch with us (despite asking on multiple occasions) to help us work with them to fix this problem.

Deprecated

You should just fire GoDaddy. Ask them for a refund and go to 1and1 where I host my sites. No problem there.

bitcoinuk

any idea what i can say to them in the morning when i call? other than stick your hosting lol
because i bet they are going to say my Mod_Sec is off and they cant trace the fault

any advice greatly appreciated

Deprecated

It depends on how long you've been with them. I've been with 1and1 for maybe 10 years so I can't just fire them until the end of my contract but if you've been with GoDaddy for a few weeks or months I think it's entirely reasonable to ask them to terminate your contract and give you a refund. Or at least terminate your contract except the domain registration, and then go to another hosting service and host your account from there, then when your domain registry is about to expire transfer it to your new hosting service.

There is a section here at the SMF forum where various shared hosting services are discussed and cussed and recommended. Read up there and pick one.

You're making me dread interfacing with GoDaddy at my new tech admin assignment. Fortunately we are running 2.0.6 with no problems at present.

There's a bit of information for you. My site at GoDaddy is working fine with SMF 2.0.6 and your site isn't. What is different?

bitcoinuk

The fault only happend's on the modify category and on add a category. i have been installing by uploading and then visiting the hxxp:address.com/install.php [nonactive]

Once installed then go to add a category - error

Advertisement: