News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

turn off the option website

Started by simplebeer, December 01, 2013, 05:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

The full upgrade will always remove modifications...

And upgrading between major versions would never preserve modifications -- because the coding it too different.
As a matter of fact, you will have to uninstall your 1.1.x themes as well, since none of the 1.1.x themes will work on the 2.0.x versions

Your DATA, however, will be preserved and the database updated.  Posts, members, pms, settings, these are all preserved, because the database is upgraded, not replaced.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

simplebeer

Thats too bad, but ok, we have to deal with it and make it the best.

Is it possible i do the upgrade and try it on another map in the root to whats happend exactly? For example now it is.../forum and i want to try in .../forum2

Or, if i do the upgrade, will the old forum stop working because of the databse upgrade?
Sorry for my poor English, but i think it's probably better then your Dutch :)

Kindred

the database changes make the upgrade incompatible with the old version files...   they are looking for the wrong table names, etc...

You could create a test copy (completely copy your database and then copy the files into a different directory, then point the test files to the test database using repair_settings.php)
However, I have generally found this to be unnecessary...   as long as you take a good backup before attempting the upgrade - you can always restore the backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Yes.
The "large upgrade" features a clean set of files which will always kill any custom coding you have in place. Furthermore, 1.1.x coding is generally not compatible with 2.0.x

That being said... If you used, eg, Ads Management MOD for your sponsors banners, then you would reinstall the MOD in 2.0 and the banners would still be there. But if you coded everything by hand, then you clearly need to redo it again after upgrade...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simplebeer

Margarett, yes it was coded bij hand, with help off this forum, this was the topic.
If i upgrade to 2.0.10 i want the same, i think i will ask in that topic  ;)

Is there any existing MOD for sponsor banners?

margarett

Ad Management is probably the most complete MOD for that.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

simplebeer

That's a very interesting mod but i looks very difficult, as i see it now i have to write the html myself? That's quite a problem..
I will do some reading...thanks...

Advertisement: